Thread: Preferred rope lengths Q

Mountain Man

Preferred rope lengths Q

Hey all,

I've got a 200' poly/poly (Sterling HTP) and a 200' technora/nylon (BW CanyonLine) rope, both 9mm.

I'm planning to cut the technora into working rope lengths and leave the HTP packed for contingencies. I also carry 200' of poly/poly pullcord. The question is this: 100 and 100, or 80 and 120 lengths?

I'm not planning to do Imlay or Heaps level stuff, but otherwise will run the gamut of CP canyons. I have bags for 80-120.

Thanks, Doug

edit: Let me add, I've been doing canyons since '06, and doing them technically since May '10. So not a huge amount of technical experience, hence the Q.
    Last edited by dougr; 05-14-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: More info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would go 80 120

X2 for the 80/120 cut.

I have found 120 to be one of the most useful lengths on the CP, especially Zion. Then you also get 80' as a bonus short rope. It is nice to have a shorty to bring along for the shorties.

With your 200' - 120' combo, using the rule of 3 you can safely tackle canyons with drops up to 107', which includes most canyons, and many of the classics.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    Hey all,

I've got a 200' poly/poly (Sterling HTP) and a 200' technora/nylon (BW CanyonLine) rope, both 9mm.

I'm planning to cut the technora into working rope lengths and leave the HTP packed for contingencies. I also carry 200' of poly/poly pullcord. The question is this: 100 and 100, or 80 and 120 lengths?

I'm not planning to do Imlay or Heaps level stuff, but otherwise will run the gamut of CP canyons. I have bags for 80-120.

Thanks, Doug

edit: Let me add, I've been doing canyons since '06, and doing them technically since May '10. So not a huge amount of technical experience, hence the Q.
    I think you would do better to keep your nice 200's, and buy a "working rope" of 120 feet. Length has extra value - keep the extra value until Fortuna decides where to cut your rope (Fortuna will indicate such by putting a nick in the rope at the appropriate cut point).

Tom

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortuna

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I think you would do better to keep your nice 200's, and buy a "working rope" of 120 feet. Length has extra value - keep the extra value until Fortuna decides where to cut your rope (Fortuna will indicate such by putting a nick in the rope at the appropriate cut point).

Tom

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortuna
    Doug,

In case you didn't know Tom sells rope.

I also say keep the BW 200. Cut the other 200 up 120/80 or 100/100.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Doug,

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70
    C'mon Mark, I refrained from saying "that's too bad"...

The ropes you have, Doug, are great ropes, but by local standards a bit on the heavy side. Full length (200') ropes are useful to have along, so my point is, the MOST genuinely frugal way of using them, is to put one in the remuda, put one in dry storage, and purchase a less-expensive 120' rope to use on a regular basis. Depending on how Fortuna smiles on you, your working 200' rope will become two shorter pieces, and you can bring your other 200'er out of dry storage and back into the remuda. You will then have a selection of lengths to use.

If you were going to cut one of them, I would say cut the Sterling HTP. The technora sheath is really sweet and durable, and if you have to jug that 200'er at some point to get your rope back, it feels much better to have that tough technora sheath up there.

Tom

I don't sell rope and I'm siding with Tom. Keep the 200' and buy a shorter rope. If you play this game long enough you will end up with a closet full of short ropes and find yourself wishing for more long ones.

My preffered rope lengths are 200', 100' and 60'... but because Tom likes to sell 120' ropes I now have only one 100' rope and a couple 120' ropes. And because of abuse I also have a couple 80' ropes at the moment....

BUT.... experiance had taught me that the 80' rope will soon be 60' and the 120' ropes will soon be 100'. Or maybe I'll have two 60's... or an 80' and a 40'... you get the picturte...

Mountain Man
    I know these ropes are a tad heavy. I almost bought the technora/polyp C-IV for that reason. 9mm @ 3.2 lb. per 100'. I prefer 9mm, both for handling/rapping and abrasion resistant. But I just couldn't pull the trigger on a polyp core rope. When will a technora/polyester rope be made? That would be the ultimate. Or does one exist?

I have had to cut ropes, so I know how that goes. I opted for a full technora sheath since my old poly/poly HTP was beat to heck in just a few canyons last year. The CanyonLine came in a 1.20/ft, so not too expensive.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Doug,

and you left out rumor in the canyons his nickname is core-shot . . .

Core Shot Jones

I had forgotten all about that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Core Shot Jones...
    I had forgotten all about that.....
    The bits and pieces of ropes in my garage haven't forgot...ha ha!

Concur with the above. Keep the 200's as is. Buy a 100 foot of something if you need a shorter rope for the short term.

Go enough, and, one of those 200's will be shorter soon enough... Or, lend it to Tom for a rodeo start...!