Thread: The Swell with The Family

The Swell with The Family

Better late than never...plus I have been BAD at posting trip reports on here. I think I'm only about a year and a half behind. So I'll just start fresh from here and try to be better. Also, there aren't any tech canyons on this TR (as much as I wish there were - I was dying down there without being able to hit some stuff in the roost or Quandry or something). Since there weren't any tech canyons, hopefully it's cool in the venerable canyoneering forum instead of the hiking one. Also, it's gonna be a little short due to time constraints right now.

We took a trip down to the swell on the week of April 18th. Suffice it to say that the trip was...interesting. We had literally everything the weather could throw at us. Fantastic spring sun and high 70's to low 80's at first. Then it threw in some killer wind that night/next day that blew some neighbors' tents completely away (and required that I drop 3 12" metal stakes in every grommet in my tent - yeah the giant spring bar stakes). Then some cloudy, but pleasant days in LWH/Bell, and Farnsworth. The next day was super wind again (love the sand blasting effects down there). Then rain the next morning...then back to Sun. Then over soldier summit, my 4 year old had to go to the bathroom in a white-out. Love the Utah weather. Just glad we were prepared. Of course, the kids were surrounded in down and Gore Dryloft so they were happy.

We took my 4 year old daughter hiking out and back to Ernie Canyon and Hurst Bridge (she did awesome as long as we kept promising marsh mellows in her hot chocolate that night). What a cool area!

Anyway, gotta go. Hope the pictures can make up for my brevity in words. It was a great trip though! I am so proud of my 4 year old daughter, and my 5 month old daughter. They handled crazy wind, crazy dad, and camping really well! --Gotta give props to my wife for handling the 'crazy dad' too!

Mucho pictures. If you know me...you know that's typical of me. Hope you enjoy.

On the way to Farnsworth

Farnsworth Entrance

100...billion...dollars (sorry if you're not an Austin Powers fan)

Clouds got a little dark on the way out...

We did have a clear sky for one night...still need to buy that wired remote...

Nice morning in camp

The trademark tree on the way to LWH/Bell

Ernie

Crystal Skull

Hurst

Whew...and done. Time for a break with some delicious dutch oven cinnamon rolls
    -- Austin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent photos and TR! Reminds me of trips I took with my kids to the swell when they were small (16-17 years ago). Little wild Horse/Bell is a great hike to do with young kids.

Nat

Epic report and photos! Your post is really a perfect example of a good trip report. You even had the dutch oven! I am sure it will be a trip to remember for your family.

Quote Originally Posted by millsclimber View Post
    We took my 4 year old daughter hiking out and back to Ernie Canyon and Hurst Bridge
    'Nuff said right there. Awesome trip and photos, way to get the family out there.
    Blog | FB

Thanks fellas. I gotta say that I love seeing others' trip reports on Bogley. As I mentioned, I feel kind of bad I took my bogley sabbatical, but seems like it's not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    'Nuff said right there.
    I agree. She did awesome. I was shocked. She put away a five mile day like it was nothing. She loves it though. She's gotten a good start on life. A lot of snowshoeing, tons of hiking, some biking, and lots of camping. Need to get her into some caves and kickin it at some crags now. She is an outdoor girl for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    You even had the dutch oven!
    You bet we did. Dutch oven enchiladas the first night, cinnamon rolls for breakfast, top it off with a little cherry chocolate cake. When I'm not backpacking, I don't mind livin the good live when it comes to food.
    -- Austin

Thanks for posting. Always nice to see kids out enjoying themselves in the canyons!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"