Thread: Info: Lower Maidenwater to Trachyte Creek to Lake Powell back by Swett Creek

Info: Lower Maidenwater to Trachyte Creek to Lake Powell back by Swett Creek

I am planning on backpacking the loop of Lower Maidenwater to Trachyte Creek to Lake Powell (stay overnight) back to hwy 276 by Swett Creek. Has anyone been through these canyons that could give me some insight?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've had a trip down Maidenwater and into Trachyte high on my list for a while. I hadn't thought about coming out Swett. I might actually get to this one really soon. I'd love to hear what the pros out here know about it.

EDIT: FWIW, Kelsey has all four canyons (Maidenwater, Trail, Woodruff and Swett) detailed in his Henry Mountains/Roost book. Sounds like it might be better to go out through Woodruff (more water).

Sounds like it might be better to go out through Woodruff (more water).
    I would recommend coming out Swett. Swett is more scenic than Woodruff, at least if sticking to the main drainages. There are actually a few springs in Swett, but the water doesn't flow as far. The water in Swett is better than the water in Woodruff because of lack of cattle.

Has anyone been through these canyons that could give me some insight?
    Maidenwater is a good canyon with some scenic narrows. There is a droppoff in there which is easy to get down, but harder to get up (I needed a hand from Stevee B to get up it). The pool below was less than waste deep, but this was back in May 2003, so this might be updated.

There are a few minor ruins and petroglyphs along Trachyte on the way to Swett. As mentioned above, Swett is a good canyon and there are campsites with water before you hit the narrows.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Nice area. I went down Trail Canyon last year, then explored up Maidenwater to the obstacle. I was barely able to climb up solo with the help of a log -- but did so w/o my gear. This could definitely be difficult in many conditions. Woodruff also has a set of big boulders and pool near the bottom. I didn't try to get past it as I was headed down around Lake Powell -- but if going this way I'd plan on getting pretty wet.

I'll post some pics in a bit.

- Jamal

Some pics for reference from May 2010:

Maidenwater
    Name:  IMG_0148 (3)..jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  64.0 KB

Maidenwater
    Name:  IMG_0153 (3)..jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  39.4 KB

Maiderwater obstacle
    Name:  IMG_0147 (3)..jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  66.4 KB

Trachyte
    Name:  IMG_0162 (3)..jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  72.0 KB

Pool near bottom of Woodruff
    Name:  IMG_0169 (3)..jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  56.6 KB

Waterfall at bottom of Swett (I think this amount of water is abnormal)
    Name:  IMG_0182 (3)..jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  73.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    Nice area. I went down Trail Canyon last year, then explored up Maidenwater to the obstacle. I was barely able to climb up solo with the help of a log -- but did so w/o my gear. This could definitely be difficult in many conditions. Woodruff also has a set of big boulders and pool near the bottom. I didn't try to get past it as I was headed down around Lake Powell -- but if going this way I'd plan on getting pretty wet.
    I just re-watched your Escalante to Monticello video last night to get a refresher on that area. So you came down Trail, explored Maidenwater, down Trachyte and then followed the shoreline of Powell to Hite? Did you go up Swett at all? How was that shoreline hike? Is there any kind of route or did you just figure it out as you went?

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I just re-watched your Escalante to Monticello video last night to get a refresher on that area. So you came down Trail, explored Maidenwater, down Trachyte and then followed the shoreline of Powell to Hite? Did you go up Swett at all? How was that shoreline hike? Is there any kind of route or did you just figure it out as you went?
    Yep -- I just explored Maidenwater from the bottom w/o the big pack. The waist-deep water, the brush near bottom and the obstacle would make this not much fun with a big pack IMHO. I'm headed back down that way next week -- might try and see the top of Maidenwater as a day hike if I have time.

I didn't go up Swett very far at all. Just past the waterfall to take a look at the big spire. Same with Woodruff -- just saw the very bottom.

Also -- I was bummed I didn't see any ruins or petroglyphs in the area. I didn't spend much time looking -- but none jumped out at me in the obvious spots. The one exception is that I did look for the one Kelsey shows on the map between Maidenwater and Trail. I walked the whole wall and didn't see anything.

re: Shoreline hike

It was fun -- but pretty rough. It's a slow go up and down the talus slopes along the middle bench always looking for the best route. There were a few random cairns out there -- but otherwise I saw no evidence of any people. The whole time I wasn't sure it would go through -- so I was dreading the idea of having to go ALL the way back and up Trachyte. It took me 2 longs days to get to Hite from the bottom of Trachyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    I'm headed back down that way next week -- might try and see the top of Maidenwater as a day hike if I have time.
    Cool. I'm also headed down that way next week. Haven't settled on the exact destination yet. Maybe we'll bump into you. I'll keep an eye out for Mr. Shadow.

Also -- I was bummed I didn't see any ruins or petroglyphs in the area. I didn't spend much time looking -- but none jumped out at me in the obvious spots. The one exception is that I did look for the one Kelsey shows on the map between Maidenwater and Trail. I walked the whole wall and didn't see anything.
    The sites are pretty minor, so you really didn't miss that much.

I believe this one is the one between Maidenwater and Trail:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j_red/1389458130/

There's a least one more minor site between there and Swett, but I couldn't place it on the map.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

if you're going with two people, you could use a short rope to lower packs at the drop in maidenwater and, provided it's not very deep or a swimmer, you would avoid getting the packs wet (it might be possible solo?). i did lower maidenwater once after a rain/snowstorm in october which melted into a bit of water. the pool was iced over with a thick sheet, but i broke through and i remember, at that time, the water being pretty deep for a short distance. but under general conditions the pool doesn't appear to be very deep.

due to wading and pools like this which aren't uncommon when backpacking in the canyons, i often wear shoes that work well for hiking/backpacking when wet rather than full leather hiking boots or something else that i'd rather not get soaking wet.

i agree with scott about going up swett; it's a scenic canyon and would make for a reasonable loop with lower maidenwater. and trachyte provides many opportunities for further exploring/dayhiking from camp depending on your time. i often like exploring until it's dark.

trail is fast and efficient, so it's good for doing a short loop with another canyon as a dayhike or getting quick/easy access to trachyte. doing a loop with canyons like maidenwater and swett would maximize the scenic aspects of the route.

everyone's different regarding what obstacles they'd like to deal with when carrying a heavy pack. if you're only going overnight, your pack might be smaller/lighter. if you enjoy dealing with minor obstacles like the one in maidenwater then it would be a great canyon to descend on your loop.

I was planning on doing this route with some scouts. For those who have been through, would you advise against it?

Thanks Scott -- I wondered if that was the site. I didn't try to climb up, but from below I really didn't see anything. Thus I always thought maybe there was something in the flat that I'd missed.

Nick -- yep, look for Mr. Shadow if it's not raining (he doesn't like the rain!) Leaving tomorrow -- hope to do some exploring around Hatch Point, then make my way toward Capitol Reef area for while before ending with a 5-day loop hike in Upper Escalante. Basically just exploring some spots I've never hit.

PG -- my guess is Scouts would be fine in this canyon. I wouldn't take too big a group through since it's so narrow, but as far as difficulty it shouldn't be a problem.

Pretty nice and 'refreshing' hike Jamal ,
    We hiked down Lower Maidenwater Cyn and Trail Cyn up in June/2010.
    Your photos are similar ours.