Thread: non-harness hang syndrome

non-harness hang syndrome

It does not take a harness to develop the Harness Hang Syndrome. This is a good read. http://www.caves.org/section/vertica...ineHarness.pdf

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The message of your paper is that if you are hanging in your harness unconscious, you are it big trouble. That's what I love about science-always telling us stuff we already know. Still a very interesting paper.

The last time I had to ascend up a rope, it was most uncomfortable. I very much had trouble breathing and have been looking for a better or better fitting harness and possibly using a chest harness in combination with the sit harness when ascending. Any words of wisdom on these points?

Ken

Look into the most common systems used by cavers. Namely, the frog, ropewalker, mitchell, or texas systems. I think you will find the frog and texas most to your liking as far as canyoneering goes.

One of the most useful lessons is the tilt table. A person does not even have to be in a harness to start getting the symptoms. Same for soldiers standing at attention. The process is lack of movement of the lower legs which operate the "venous pump." No one harness will solve the problem. A person needs to keep moving his legs.

I've got nerve damage from too long in a climbing harness that's been buggin' me for a month now. Ugh. Strange location, inside of one leg to about half way across. Very localized. Not a deal, just, nagging weirdness. Didn't effect any "vital" areas if you catch my drift...

Good article. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing that article, Sonny. That is some good stuff to know, although I hope I NEVER have to use the info.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bshwakr View Post
    Brian, me too! Exactly the same. It lasted about 4 months. Too much weight on my back to start the last sequence of Heaps.
    Seems like that kinda nerve damage always takes a long time to heal.

Kinda freaky. And, my own darn fault. Too focused on the task at hand (bolting overhanging rock) and I just didn't relieve the stress on my leg. Great harness for hanging in, too. Metolius Safetech.

Be more careful next time. I find I don't get the same kind of pressure from a BD Bod. Just doesn't wrap around the leg the same.

Initially, when I felt the numbness, was kinda worried about "things", but, no problemo in that respect. Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    I've got nerve damage from too long in a climbing harness that's been buggin' me for a month now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bshwakr View Post
    Brian, me too! Exactly the same.
    Definitely been there too. Guess it's more common than I thought. Cool article.

Found this particularly interesting:
    Quote Originally Posted by caves.org Article
    "No one lost consciousness but 2 wearing chest harnesses alone had to be lowered without detectable blood pressure in 5 and 9 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by caves.org Article
    A male caver got stuck on rope. He was wearing a chest harness only. Help arrived after 4 hours; however, he died suddenly when released from his chest harness
    I didn't know folks were going it with chest harness alone. I won't say I've done tons of caves, but I'm definitely comfortable rigging caves, jumaring, doing crawls, etc. I have done some fairly challenging vertical caves relative to rigging and negotiating obstacles. Never seen anyone in only a chest harness though.

I have been with folks that try frogging or rope walking and they tend to lay out horizontal rather than staying primarily vertical on the rope - even with a complimentary chest harness. Can't say that I've experienced that but I like a slightly modified texas system anyway.

Good read. Thanks sonny
    -- Austin