Thread: Robbers Roost conditions

Robbers Roost conditions

Anyone been to the Roost since the beginning of May? Is it still as wet as people have been saying? How long does it take "nipple deep" water to dry out in the Roost?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by blueshade View Post
    How long does it take "nipple deep" water to dry out in the Roost?
    The older you get the lower that level is, so I hear.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    haha, I wouldn't know... Maybe if we get enough dried up crones going through they'll soak up all of the water. But it probably wouldn't help the water quality any.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post

Anyone been to the Roost since the beginning of May? Is it still as wet as people have been saying? How long does it take "nipple deep" water to dry out in the Roost?
    Normally.... the Roost drains and drys out really fast.

We went last weekend, it was fairly wet by Roost standards. We waded in two canyons, got completely soaked without wetsuits. Nobody cared much as it was 90 degrees out and it felt good to cool off, especially for the long return hikes. Although there was water, you could see that the levels had receded about a foot in the recent past.

We then went over to Zero G, where wetsuits were most welcome in the cold, clear water. Strangely, Zero G and the Swell water levels are quite low, despite wet conditions (for now) in the Roost.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nice. We will be heading for that canyon in a couple of weeks.

How were the anchors for that last drop? Did you do it in one stage or two?

My son and I did No Man's canyon yesterday, Sunday. A lot of water, knee to thigh. One chin deep wade and rapped into chest deep at the end rappel section. No wet suits but was OK since it was sunny and pretty warm. Super windy down there!

The anchors for the last drop were fine. I would not do the "two-stage" as one drop. In fact, I would have trouble calling it one drop at all. They are two discreet drops, separated by a 30-40 foot walk.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    The anchors for the last drop were fine. I would not do the "two-stage" as one drop. In fact, I would have trouble calling it one drop at all. They are two discreet drops, separated by a 30-40 foot walk.
    Cool, thanks.

Just got back from doing a hodgepodge trip (recon for a family trip mixed with some other canyons). The White Roost was pretty dry--the pool after the last rap in main (east) was zipper deep.

Quote Originally Posted by agostinone View Post
    Just got back from doing a hodgepodge trip (recon for a family trip mixed with some other canyons). The White Roost was pretty dry--the pool after the last rap in main (east) was zipper deep.
    Yo Kenny...I was out there too! We shoulda hooked up. Stay in touch...but not on Bogley PM! I always miss those messages.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Thanks for the responses everyone. However, due to the weather forecast this week we decided to postpone. Hopefully this funky weather will be gone soon... For future reference, how long are the roads impassable (or just crappy) after a decent rainstorm?

I'd also like to know if it is true that a 2WD likely would not make it all the way to the trailheads for Chambers and Alcatraz.

Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    Yo Kenny...I was out there too! We shoulda hooked up. Stay in touch...but not on Bogley PM! I always miss those messages.
    Dean--I didn't see your big Tundra out there. Where/when did you go? Us Front Range Colorado boys should make a trip together soon. I met another front range boy, Dan Pettingill while I was climbing/rapping at Castlewood Canyon. Turns out he knows Steve Morga (our instructor from the ACA course).

Let me know the next time you head out west (I'll do the same)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses everyone. However, due to the weather forecast this week we decided to postpone. Hopefully this funky weather will be gone soon... For future reference, how long are the roads impassable (or just crappy) after a decent rainstorm?

I'd also like to know if it is true that a 2WD likely would not make it all the way to the trailheads for Chambers and Alcatraz.

Much appreciated!
    Roads are bad usually, in the Roost, for only 24 hours after a rainstorm.

I had my 4WD Honda Civic (loooooow clearance) out to Alcatraz quite a few times, so usually no problem there. Chambers however has a rocky hill to get down and up, and I would not take a 2WD car down that way.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Chambers however has a rocky hill to get down and up, and I would not take a 2WD car down that way.
    FWIW: Yesterday I updated my Chambers Route Description, which among other things allows you to do the route from a passenger car and increases your bang for buck. Look under the heading Full Meal Deal.

Chambers Route

You guys can thank Bruce Newmann for figuring out the alternate "passenger car" access.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: Yesterday I updated my Chambers Route Description, which among other things allows you to do the route from a passenger car and increases your bang for buck. Look under the heading Full Meal Deal.

Chambers Route

You guys can thank Bruce Newmann for figuring out the alternate "passenger car" access.
    Niiiiice. Might be faster access from North Wash, too.

T

nice. that's actually a decent suggestion for freeze fest fare... two canyons and no need for high clearance. nice work bruce.