Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wayne County Rescue Fees

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Perhaps a tax or a criminal fine on people wearing Hawaiian shirts in the wild or wearing a tablecloth in Zion.
    wait ... did you really just single out AJ?!? (i like this emoticon now, kurt, thanks)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The big fear at the moment is someone will hesitate to call for help because they might be charged.
    That fear is a reality, I have seen that first hand.

How to pay for it? Easy... Wayne County needs to get rid of this guy. I haven't been impressed with his work ethics. Always just sittin' around doin' nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    I purchased rescue insurance with my SPOT. I think it was about $10.00 for an entire year.
    Hmmm this might be a good reason to use a spot. I personally carry a McMurdo Fastfind 210 PLB with GPS. The reality is that when you fire off one of these babies, (provided you connect to the satellite) it does't take 50 men two days to find you. (That's what you'll be telling yourself waiting for rescue anyway).

Avoiding rescue--priceless. I am looking forward to the field video of the injured outdoorsman telling SAR: "Hey, come on bro, please don't rescue me."

Ken

Does anyone know where you can donate to SAR's for the counties in SE Utah, for example? If we go canyoneering there, I wouldn't mind donating something on occasions (gear or money).

Would it be possible to set up some kind of donation funds activities for the counties?

Wayne County SAR: they don't mind rescuing lost hunters and snowmobilers, and their buddies, since many of these are Wayne County residents.

The do mind doing canyon rescues and body recoveries, for stuff none of them do or understand, and who are from out-of-county almost entirely. Plus, it is only because the county lines were drawn a long time ago that part of the Roost is in their jurisdiction.
    If canyoneers were donating to SAR, do you think it would make a difference with the above?

We (canyoneers) all spend a lot of money on our gear and on gas money to get to these places, so it would seem that we could afford at least a little to help SAR out.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

How about one of you enterprising Bogley bigshots imposing an actual membership fee for Bogley that includes free rescue insurance. You need an actuary consultant to figure out the finances of this (number of Bogley members, estimated number of rescues, limit rescue area (Colorado Plateau or North America for example), and then perhaps pre-negotiate with area SARS on the rates, a reserve fund and re-insurance would also necessary. To work, this needs to generate a surplus to be sustainable. Carrying a personal locator beacon could be required for full coverage which would substantially reduce the resources needed to find and rescue Bogley member-not that any of us would need rescue. Here is a link to an Oregon mountaineering group that offers rescue insurance http://www.mazamas.org/your/adventure/starts-here/C41/. Just a stray thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Does anyone know where you can donate to SAR's for the counties in SE Utah,
    Below is where you can donate to Wayne County. I know their SAR fund has been hit pretty hard with the movie 127 Hours and the death of Louis Cicotello in No Man's Canyon. I figure that's a good place to start. At least if you make a donation as noted below they know its canyoneers who understand their situation. I believe it also reflects well on canyoneers as a community. I think its a good idea if technical canyoneers try and distance themselves from searchers of the great lost Blue Pool.

A memorial service for Louis will be held on Saturday, March 19, 3:00 pm, in the Lodge at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. In lieu of flowers, Louis's widow Millie asks that donations be made to the Wayne County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Team in Louis Cicotello's name. Their address is:

Wayne County Sheriff
    Search and Rescue
    PO Box 219
    Loa, UT 84747

Cash or hard copy checks only, please -- the local bank does not have facilities to process credit card donations.

Thanks