Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Update: Green River Predictions

New Update: Green River Predictions

The Yampa/Green River just received a major increase in flow prediction from Flaming Gorge to Green River Utah:

29,000 and 39,000 cubic feet per second at Deerlodge
    31,000 - 41,000 cfs near Jensen
    46,000 to 61,000 cfs at Green River, Utah

http://www.usbr.gov/newsroom/newsrel...RecordID=36162

Dam(n)! The Deso predictions finally make me nervous. That is going to be the biggest, fastest water I have ever seen. I bet we start to see cancelations galore for late-May and early-June.

Be safe out there. This could turn into the biggest water year on the Green of my generation (this would beat out '83-84).

Phillip

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ya I just saw that, that's insane! Sandwash to Swasey's in 8 hours tops

Yampa may 12th permit is open if you can scramble fast enough :)

No way I can put together a trip that fast....damn!

May 30th to June 6th wide open....wonder why

Sorry, it was in reference to Deso.....only one available for Yampa; none for Lodore

Oh ok I see that, wow that's a lot of cancellations already. Maybe we should be that smart too LOL I am still planning on going, you are launching 27th right?

We might do one or two lay over days, maybe camp by Joe Hutch and watch the carnage. Look for my Maravia, it's green 16 footer with a green bimini and red flag, can't miss it ;)

We will actually launch the 22nd and take off the 27th...probably miss ya

I am thinking we may rent a duckie to run laps from camp....Joe Hutch would be great for that. Normally I am willing to run on my Paco through some rapids but I thinking that would be a bad idea at these flows.

It will be impressive. When we did the Yampa in '83 we launched from the road at Deerlodge. After the Safety check the ranger said "good luck boy's winter rules are in effect. Camp anywhere you can get out of the river."

Have fun staying on the crown in the middle of the river it was a good 15-20 feet higher than near shore. And the eddies are awesome.

I am trying to visual the eddy at upper Cedar Ridge on Deso. That think is going to swallow rigs. Just have to look at the current wood deposited on the downside of the beach to predict how bug it will.

15-20 feet higher? WTF? Sounds like some of the rapids you scout in the Grand. Took a while to acclimatize to looking up at waves even while standing on boulders.

Which I could get a Yampa this year....at the same time....I will also enjoy normal flows and a gingerly float down the canyon when it comes my way. Gotta save some of the rivers for when I get older.

Phillip

Screw saving, we will be dead by then, enjoy it while you can

wow! I hope anyone going during the peak flows takes ALOT of photos and videos!

I wonder what Cross Mountain Gorge on the Yampa will be like?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrusher View Post
    wow! I hope anyone going during the peak flows takes ALOT of photos and videos!

I wonder what Cross Mountain Gorge on the Yampa will be like?
    I understand that is a butt kicker in normal flows!

Deso now has permits available from May 30 to June 11. Watching the cancelations increase everyday (some commercial).

Cross Mountain Gorge? What's that? I bet Split mountain will be raging. There are daily permits available but at this flow you'd be done with the whole thing in 20 mins.

Cross Mt. is a Class V run above the national monument on the Yampa. Looks gorgeous but way out of my league.

Alex, Just Google Cross Mountain Gorge and read a little about it As you come into Deer Lodge and see the river look right and you can see the end of it.

And the 20 minute run on the daily would be totally worth it Just watch the hole in Moonshine.