Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highway love

Quote Originally Posted by bowjunkie View Post
    He was 10 ft off the sidewalk when we parked and didn't want to give up his grass ... Ed
    I don't blame him.

Here's a telephoto shot from Hwy 101 just north of Leucadia, Ca, a beach brake called "Pontos":

Name:  pontos in the fo&#1.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  61.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    Were they watching for the moose? Covered bridges are very cool, post more if you have them and Include the Road #'s!
    Nope, the traffic came to a stop in both directions because the meese were walking right down the road and past me. That was from the driver's seat of my truck. I have a few more bridges.

The name of that road is (drum roll) Bull's Bridge Road It crosses the Housatonic River and within a half mile or so crossing through it, you're in New York State.

The scar to just left of center is the Cog Railway. Runs up Mt. Washington to the summit. The Cog Railway has a lot of history tied to it which I'll go into a little later.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to break down these pics. All are from New Hampshire in the Mount Washington area. Some of the covered bridges are marked. Look up that number after doing a search for covered bridges of New Hampshire. I have to get up in three, long day and even longer weekend for me. I'll come back in when I have the chance to give you the info that I know. I just took pics, never really thought to document the area. I know where they are, just not roads. I basically came up I-93, and looped Mt. Washington. The bridges were on the upper route which is Route 2.

These Boom Piers are on Route 16 in Berlin, NH.

I like the shot of the barn and flag. Very nice. The bridge shots are great also, especially the interiors showing the structure. RR track 4 up from the bottom is cool also.
    Where is that suspension foot bridge? Pretty unique.

That's the Bemis Bridge crossing the Saco River in the town of Hart's Location. It's off of Rte.302 south of the Crawford Notch State Park.

Fantastic thread. I agree that an album of just signs would be awesome.

Road trip, 1948

Thanks accadacca & Sombeech

So I decided to open up some of my grandparents old dusty Kodak carousel boxes. I had looked at them maybe 25 years ago. These slides have seen the light of day a few times in 63 years. These scans do not come close to replicating the unique color and saturation of these Kodachrome slides.
    My grandparents, Myron & Leita, used to drive to Detroit every year to pick up a new car at the factory, I think he worked for Ford (I have no idea what model the maroon sedan is - anybody?). And they went all over the place, before there were freeways. They loved including the car in the photos. And they liked signs.

8/48
    I have no idea what road, maybe Crater lake Hwy. 62?

Name:  morris crater la&#107.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  157.4 KB

8/48
    Hwy 84 in Oregon?

Name:  morris bonnevill&#.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  139.8 KB

8/48
    Multnomah Falls, Columbia River Hwy?

Name:  morris waterfall&#3.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  148.3 KB

7/25/48
    Lanes Redwood Flats, Ca., Hwy 101. Now Smithe Redwoods State Reserve, this was a roadhouse and gift shop, with the entrance to the gift shop through one of the trees.

Name:  morris lanes red&#1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  122.8 KB

No date
    Near present day Interstate 5?

Name:  morris mt shasta&#46.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  106.6 KB

Gallup, NM

Name:  morris s.f. trai&#110.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  121.6 KB

I have no friggin idea. It just said "POW WOW" on the back of the slide. Ideas? Flagstaff! Thanks Sonya.

Name:  morris pow wow..jpg
Views: 155
Size:  154.4 KB

6/21/49
    "Ohio-Menonite lady"

Name:  morris menonite..jpg
Views: 148
Size:  80.1 KB

7/3/49
    Painted Desert, Az. Hwy 89.

Name:  morris painted d&#1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  105.6 KB

Hwy 1
    My mother in June, 1959, on an Austin Healy road rally, Big Sur, Ca. I am in the "boot" behind the seats in my cradle.

Name:  mom big sur..jpg
Views: 151
Size:  157.5 KB

These are great! I love vintage photos and those vintage cars are to-die for! The last photo of your mom and the Austin Healy is probably my favorite of these .

I think the "Pow Wow" photo is in Flagstaff; I see the Hotel Monte Vista sign in the background, and that's definitely a downtown landmark of Flag. I lived in Flagstaff for 4 years, but I can't place the exact location of this photo, but it may be south of the tracks and probably to the east a bit. Of course, this photo was taken almost 50 years before I moved there, so I think some things have changed .
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Wow, those old slides are amazing, thanks for sharing, Greg! And thanks for starting this thread with a great idea!

JP, those NH pix are great too, I have lived in NH most of my life good to see some stuff in my back yard ;) Also, saw some stuff from Newtown, CT where my mom grew up and my younger brother graduated High School, good stuff!

Thanks jdgibney.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    The last photo of your mom and the Austin Healy is probably my favorite of these .
    Mine too.
    Thanks for the Flagstaff call Sonya. I like the "Menonite photo", not for it's quality but what it kind of represents. In 1948 we were barely 30 years out of the horse and buggy era, puts things in perspective I guess.

Okay, after resizing and loading several pictures of Ohio barns into Flickr last week, and not being able to figure out how to embed the pictures, Ibenick has explained how to do that, so here are some from that 2200 mile drive across I-80 last summer. All shot from the passenger side of the Civic going about 75 MPH, and usually through a closed window (it was hot and nasty-humid through 7/8 of the drive).

Attractive farmhouse, barns and field:

DSC_0400 by Sonya Johnson, on Flickr

Old barn in shadow:

DSC_0394 by Sonya Johnson, on Flickr

An attractive pair of red barns:

DSC_0372 by Sonya Johnson, on Flickr

Pair of white barns and their grain silos (aka "bankruptcy tubes")

DSC_0334 by Sonya Johnson, on Flickr

A family of grain silos:

DSC_0301 by Sonya Johnson, on Flickr

Red barn, new barn, old barn, blue barn (sort of):

DSC_0331 by Sonya Johnson, on Flickr

A small barn or shed and a neat paneled silo:

DSC_0222 by Sonya Johnson, on Flickr
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Thanks Sonya. I love the grain silos (and barns also). I once designed a house (un-built unfortunately, or maybe fortunately) made of old Butler silos, it looked like your 301 pic. Thanks for posting.