Thread: Longest Swims?

Longest Swims?

I can't find the old thread on the canyons with the longest swims, but for now, I'm going to guess that the swims currently in SF Choprock are longer than any I've done in the Black Hole, though I've never measured the swims in either.

It would be hard to compare though since I've only done SF Choprock once and the Black Hole several times.

Although it's obviously dependent on conditions, I would guess that Choprock, at times at least can have longer swims. Or maybe they just seem that way since you are carrying more gear through (I got tired swimming through with a rope in my hand).

The swims in Surprise Canyon are probably longer than both, but the water there is much warmer.

Any other ideas to the CP canyons with the longest swims? How long are the ones in the very end of Havasu (haven't done those)?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Just to clarify, you mean the longest swim at one time (IE like a 100yard swim) or a canyon with multiple long swims (IE Blackhole)?

Chasm canyon back in 2006 had a very long swim.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Also a couple canyons on Powell where you have a long swim out in the lake as the canyons are too narrow for the boats to get near the end. Not sure how you want to count that. But in 1993 we had to swim about a 1/2 mile out of one of the tributaries of Face because the boats couldn't get up. Also had to swim about a 1/2 mile or more out of the SF of Oak in the late 80's because a huge truck size chokestone had fallen and blocked the canyon to boats. A couple months later the huge chokestone had disappeared, I always wondered what happened to it.

And for your viewing pleasure.... here is a picture of the Face tribuarty, my future hot young stripper wife snapped the picture from the boat as we swam out of the canyon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The more I think about this I don't think you can really rank "a longest swim". It's really condition dependant.

If you do Pine Creek with flow you swim a long ways. Just about the entire canyon from the Cathedral to the exit are one long continues swim.

I've also done Cable a couple of days after a storm and it contains a couple of long swims

Similar story with Cottonwood Wash that has two pretty lengthy swims after recent rains.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The more I think about this I don't think you can really rank "a longest swim". It's really condition dependant.
    It's definitely condition dependent. The canyons that I have done the longest swims in are Choprock, Neon and the Black Hole, but it depended on the trip. Once in Choprock, we saw very little water, perhaps 3-4 swims of 20ft or less. On my most recent trip there (2 days after the epic flood of October 2006), it was full of water, and in fact still flowing, and we had several long swims, at least one of 100-150 meters. On that trip we had swims that long in Neon too. On my wettest trip to the Black Hole there were swims more or less equivalent to the longest I saw in Choprock or Neon. On the driest trip, perhaps only 50 meters.

By the way Scott, do you mean unavoidable swims, that is swims that have to be done to descend the canyon? Does the end of Havasu, or Surprise have long unavoidable swims?

Also, Scott, on your recent trip to CHoprock, what sort of thermal protection did your party use? I'm going this weekend and hoping a 4/3 wetsuit will be enough.

Nat

Just to clarify, you mean the longest swim at one time (IE like a 100yard swim) or a canyon with multiple long swims (IE Blackhole)?
    Both could be seperate criteria.

Also a couple canyons on Powell where you have a long swim out in the lake as the canyons are too narrow for the boats to get near the end.

Maybe Glen Canyon could be a canyon with a very long swim.

The more I think about this I don't think you can really rank "a longest swim". It's really condition dependant
    Very true, as any canyon can have a lot of water while flowing. It was actually a post you made asking the question I was referring to, but can't find it. Still, in "normal conditions" (if there is such a thing) some canyons have long swims. Of course, it's completely condition dependent.

By the way Scott, do you mean unavoidable swims, that is swims that have to be done to descend the canyon?
    Yes.

Does the end of Havasu, or Surprise have long unavoidable swims?
    Yes, unless things have changed. I haven't done lower Havasu, but my father told me that it requires (or did require-big floods may have altered things) a very long swim. Surprise Canyon has the biggest pools I have seen in a CP canyon with the exception of Chasm Lake. They are very deep and clear and are up canyon from the Twin Creek/Surprise Confluence. I haven't been since 1995 though.

Also, Scott, on your recent trip to CHoprock, what sort of thermal protection did your party use?
    I used a 3/2, but I have a very high tolerence to cold water. If you don't you don't, you will want to go thicker. The other members of the group wore thicker wetsuits. There were at least two swims at least 100 meters and several other swims as well.

Great canyon; one of my favorites.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

This question is best answered "It depends." So many conditions lead to how much water a canyon does or does not have.

I have a question on these long swims. Are neoprene gloves the best way to keep your hands warm?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zion6566 View Post
    This question is best answered "It depends." So many conditions lead to how much water a canyon does or does not have.

I have a question on these long swims. Are neoprene gloves the best way to keep your hands warm?
    Neoprene gloves work pretty well. But they are not good for rappelling in.

The Narrows right now has a rather long swim - about 8 miles. I think that takes the cake, though I guess there are places you could get out on the way, so the longest is only 2 miles continuous. Not a popular choice.

Tom

Anyone have info on possible fish in Chasm Lake? Just saw it on the map and it looks pretty awesome.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Quote Originally Posted by LOAH View Post
    Anyone have info on possible fish in Chasm Lake? Just saw it on the map and it looks pretty awesome.
    Lots of leeches, I hear. Hoping to get there this year.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Lots of leeches, I hear.
    And snakes.... really really big snakes!

Good bait.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And snakes.... really really big snakes!
    (Looking down into Chasm Lake): Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?

So nobody has seen any fish in Chasm then? Mention of private property has me wondering what part of that shoreline is public access.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

The entire Chasm Lake is on private property and access is a major issue. The route in from the top is across private property and also has access issues

The canyon and lake were for sale a couple years ago, I'm not sure if the land was sold or not. The owner that put the land up for sale was NOT a fan of canyoneering.

And after the lake you have one loooooonnnnnnnngggggg hike out any why you slice it.

The entire Chasm Lake is on private property and access is a major issue.
    The west end of the lake is on NPS land, so you can still visit the lake legally from Willis Creek.