Thread: TR - Frary's Peak -05/06/11

Blog Entries

TR - Frary's Peak -05/06/11

My brother Jeff and I decided to climb Frary's Peak for our 3rd time, right before he headed off to Fairbanks, Alaska for the summer.

We started at 12:58pm and got back to our house around 5pm. It's a quick hike at about 2.5 mph, but beware, this year, the mosquitoes and gnats are in full strength. Even at the top, there was surprisingly little wind and black clouds of insects. We didn't linger at the top for too long, due to the bity bugs.

The island was green all over, and the closer you got to the summit, the mountain looked like the hills of Scotland. VERY Green! So cool. The ground was dry, and hiking was easy, due to no mud.

About 3/4 up the climb, we found a grove of trees in a gulley about 10mins away from the trail, and thought that there had to be open water over there, and sure enough there was. There is a spring that flows right underneath a rock, and flows into a small stream, and is quite the sight on this barren island. The USGS says that there are 40 springs on the island, but this one isn't listed on it. It's not terribly easy to access - but I suppose if you had a water purifier and ran out of water 3/4 up the mountain, you can definitely fill up your bottles here. Just beware of the mosquitoes and gnats that are eager to eat you alive!

The 3rd and 2nd to last pics are of the source of the spring.

Oh, and if some of the pics are blurry, that's due to the "HDR" affect of the iPhone. Sorry!

Name: Frary's Peak
    Date: May 6, 2011 12:58 pm
    Distance: 6.37 miles
    Elapsed Time: 3:25:24
    Avg Speed: 2.3 mph
    Max Speed: 4.3 mph
    Avg Pace: 32' 16" per mile
    Min Altitude: 4,486 ft
    Max Altitude: 6,541 ft
    Start Time: 2011-05-06T18:58:19Z
    Start Location:
    Zone: 12T
    Easting: 398806mE
    Northing: 4538738mN
    End Location:
    Zone: 12T
    Easting: 398843mE
    Northing: 4538767mN

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/?t=p&z=15&ll=40.993549,-112.203110&q=http://share.gps.motionxlive.com/shr/x/kmz/e83838901a06c49358e2fe926e94a8dc
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks nice. I was thinking about heading out there this Saturday. I hiked it with my son and a buddy back in February but it was really stormy and visibility was about 50ft when we were at the top so we didn't get to see the view.

Looks like a great day! Gotta get out of the office chair and out to some more of these cool - yet close - locations.

Thanks for the TR!

-- Austin

Hmm. I always thought it was Frary Peak.
    Fun hike. I did it a few years back during the Antelope Roundup. It was fun watching all of the action from above. The bison sure can move quickly!