Thread: The problem with picking hiking boots

The problem with picking hiking boots

So I'm looking for some new hiking boots or trail running shoes. The problem seems to be that no matter which shoes I look at, there's always at least one review that is so negative towards a certain aspect of the shoe that it makes me not want to buy it--it's usually a problem such as laces that cut through the eyelets, or rubbing around the ankles, or bad support, or wearing out quickly. All of those are problems that make me not want to buy the shoe. I want to keep it at less than $110, so that's probably part of the problem. If you have any suggestions for hiking footwear that is current, please let me know. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Do you want a Hiking Shoe, boot, or ? what are your requirements? narrow foot? pancake foot? large toebox? 3/4 shank? Give us the list of what you want and I am sure we can come up with some suggestions.. I have found that there is no perfect boot and they all have their downfalls :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

My immediate need is for a shoe or boot that will be great for backpacking King's Peak. Since there will be a lot of water on portions of the trail, I probably need something with Gore Tex. I haven't been too fond of mid length boots, because I have a wacky tendon by my ankle that always seems to get rubbed to the point of extreme painfulness. I generally hike in running shoes, so something like that with a lot of arch support (I could buy that separately) and maybe breathable waterproofing...something along the lines of the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX, but I don't like the reviews of the lacing system on that shoe at all...but I think that's what I'm after.

I have had some Solomon hiking/trail running shoes for 2+ years now. I'm not sure which model, as I'm at work and don't have them. But they have the same type of "lacing" as the XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX... which I actually LOVE! I love being able to loosen/tighten my shoes on the fly. They did break towards the toe, but I just tied them around one of the eyelets and "fused" the knot so it won't come undone. No problems since. They are worn, have a couple holes... but they're still comfortable and I hike in them still (short day hikes). So... I highly recommend Solomon shoes. I'll be buying that brand again.

I did just buy some ASOLO backpacking boots for my Grand Canyon trip in a couple weeks... so I can't give a review on those. But they seem real nice. I'm just in the "breaking in" stage. They are mid height boots though... so sounds like those won't be good for your tendon issue.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, jb. That helps. A lot of the reviews on those Salomons say that once the eyelets break, there's no way to fix them. Although, I'm sure a shoe repair place could sew something on to replace the eyelets...at least I would think so...so that maybe regular laces could be used in them at least, if necessary.

I think shoe-preference is quite personal, for myself absolutely going for Merrell.
    Most of them fit my foot perfectly starting at the first second I wear them.
    Your choice also depends heavily on what activities you are planning on doing with the shoes: the amount of support to your foot that is needed, water resistance, type of sole, etc.. Merrell can provide for almost all purposes I think. Try and fit them in a store and feel for yourself!
    And concerning water... question is whether you want to try and keep the water out of your shoes, or accept it and find shoes you can walk in even when wet.

I've got a pair of Northface Vindicator GTX Mids that I really love and a pair of La Sportiva Thunder II GTX that are really nice as well.

I agree, boots are tough. I just had to get new boots for backpacking, and after trying on like 15 pairs, I went with the Wasatch from Vasque. It also had some negative reviews, and some positive ones too. I really had to go with fit, for that is most important to me. It has been 5 years since I got new backpacking boots. I would have bought the same ones if I could have found them. I had the Jasper Canyon boot from North Face. Best boot ever. Gonna miss them.

My recommendation - http://www.campmor.com/montrail-mens...4&ci_sku=19440

I have had two pair of these boots - and have loved them for comfort, durability, and perfect mix of stiffness and wearability for a good mix of day hiking and backpacking. they are crampon/snowshoe compatible - great soles on them and champions in the snow, dirt, mud- whatever.

I put close to 1k miles on my first pair of boots before the soles were lugged out, and am about 200 miles into my second pair. Best boots ever.

a good site for a review as well - http://www.trailspace.com/gear/montrail/torre-gtx/
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

This thread actually has made me laugh because of the number of boots recommended that I personally hate... Montrails and Merrills both seemed to fall apart on me (I am hard on gear) and I couldn't find a pair of Northface boots that fit the way I liked for the life of me. I guess what I am getting at other than the fact that I love my ASOLO's is that like has been said before it is all about fit and unless the reviews online all say that the boots fall apart within 100 miles I would just ignore them and buy what fits best for you after trying them on.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I got Vasque Wasatch GTX boots this time around. Been breaking them in around town. They will get their first field test next week. So far I love the fit, and from the construction, they are bomb proof to say the least.

I'll add in my support for Merrell's - 4 pair in my collection right now and all have been bomber for me. Vasque, la sportiva and Solomon have done well for me too. But I"m one of those guys who basically ditched traditional hiker and use five fingers 93.2101% of the time now days.

I have a pair of the stretch version of the Merrell Chameleon3 Ventilator GTX Hiking Shoe, might be something for you to check out.
    Last edited by gloo; 05-29-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: can't spell to save my life
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi