Thread: Yellowman

Yellowman

Name:  yellowman..jpg
Views: 11565
Size:  70.1 KB

Niah (2 year old daughter) and I decided that while mom (wife) worked we would go look for the yellowman!

Yellowman is roughly 3 miles off of Smithsonian Butte Scenic Backway near the town of Apple Valley.

Name:  yellowman..jpg
Views: 11490
Size:  113.8 KB

The hike/scramble to yellowman is pretty steep but I did it while carrying Niah, 2 year olds, sometimes they are too independant and walk, get dirty, etc, others times, like today, you would have guessed the dirt was hot lava. Fortunately I found a geocache and borrowed a toy for her to play with in the alcove housing yellowman.

Name:  niah..jpg
Views: 10778
Size:  74.7 KB

There were several other older faded panels and Im sure there are many more in the area. Definately a place to come back minus my little princess!

Name:  petroglyph..jpg
Views: 11146
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6395..jpg
Views: 2998
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  petroglyphs..jpg
Views: 10993
Size:  141.1 KB

2. Likes windminstrel liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I really like the whole area around the yellowman, there was concern several years ago about a geo cache being there and bringing too many people into the area.

Have you located the Redman yet.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I really like the whole area around the yellowman, there was concern several years ago about a geo cache being there and bringing too many people into the area.

Have you located the Redman yet.
    The ones near Fort Pierce? No! I tried once but ran out of time...Maybe next Saturday. Are there more petroglyphs in that little cul de sac where yellow man is other than the few in the immediate vicinity? I found a picture once upon a time where someone had the yellow man mixed in with pics of some interesting petroglyphs. Kinds with several heads??

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I haven't seen much more at yellowman than what you have. I did hike across the canyon, out to a little point that has a grat view coming up the valley, I believe there was still evidence of a structure there. I'll have to go back and look at my pics.

Yes, the Fort Pierce one.

Finding the Yellow Man Site

Can anyone share coordinates or directions to get to the Yellow Man site? It's only about 45 minutes from my house, and I would love to add this to my Dake Hike list!

Supposedly the 4 headed man site and Teachers rock are in the same canyon as Yello Man.

If anyone is interested drop me a message and I can direct you to all of the above sites.

The fourheaded man and teachers rock, plus a few scattered panels are within striking distance of
    the Yellowman.
    Just down the road near the Cane Beds is Rosey Canyon . Many good sites located in the area.

I also know the location of The Redman and the mystery panel in the Fort Pierce area .

Hi Steve,

Thanks again for sending some directions for teachers rock and 4 headed man. We found teachers rock but weren't able to locate the 4 headed man panel. We followed the same road as yellow man, took the turn to the left as you described, parked and headed for the cliffs. We could see the white square and yellow formation on the cliff face facing south and climbed up and walked along the whole base of the rocks right below the mesa top. Is the panel below the yellow hued rock formation or west all the way around into the canyon? We took two complete passes along base of the rocks with no success. The Dixie Archaeology field report notes indicated that 4-headed man is in the same canyon as yellow man which doesn't seem right either. I just wanted to make sure we were in fact at the right location before we tried again.

Mary Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ziongrl View Post
    Hi Steve,

Thanks again for sending some directions for teachers rock and 4 headed man. We found teachers rock but weren't able to locate the 4 headed man panel. We followed the same road as yellow man, took the turn to the left as you described, parked and headed for the cliffs. We could see the white square and yellow formation on the cliff face facing south and climbed up and walked along the whole base of the rocks right below the mesa top. Is the panel below the yellow hued rock formation or west all the way around into the canyon? We took two complete passes along base of the rocks with no success. The Dixie Archaeology field report notes indicated that 4-headed man is in the same canyon as yellow man which doesn't seem right either. I just wanted to make sure we were in fact at the right location before we tried again.

Mary Jane
    West but not in the Canyon .

Visitors found this page by searching for:

smithsonian butte petroglyphs

http:www.bogley.comforumshowthread.php54499-Yellowman

red man pictograph of timpie valley

Yellow Man Pictograph

gps coordinates for smithisonian butte petroglyphs

directions smithsonian butte petroglyphs