Thread: Segers, "The Squeeze" using mining claim shortcut

Segers, "The Squeeze" using mining claim shortcut

Segers hole May 6th. Using beta from a group that had found this shortcut about 15 years ago, they called it the mining claim shortcut, we went down the Muddy about 15 to 20 minutes, followed the cairns up the ramp on the right to the head of Segers. Entered the canyon about 15 minutes North of the normal way in. Water to about 3 feet deep, no swims. Group of 3 car to car 9.5 hours

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Went through on the 7th using the traditional route. One other group went through that day as well. Only one pothole had really cold water in it and you could get out fairly quickly, so no wet suits needed. Lots of fun.

I'd really like to see a GPS track, a couple of waypoints or a red lined map of the mining claim short cut.... between the Miners Cabin and The Squeeze there is at least one major drainage you would have to cross, unless the mining claim started up below that point, but that is sheer cliff if I remember correctly.

Anyhoo.... I'd like to know more, even if its just a best guess on google earth or something.

From Hidden Splendor, but that would involve crossing a major drainage

From just below the miners Cabin

From down where the knotted rope drainage enters

We were that other group from the 7th. Great canyon. To be honest though, I felt a little disappointed. I understand that the difficulty changes depending on water level and it was pretty dry (from what I hear, this was my first time), but we went in expecting a fairly difficult canyon and came out feeling a little cheated by all the bolts.

I don't intend to start the bolt-wars discussion, but this is ostensibly a "4" canyon and I think that anyone doing it can\should be prepared for that. I would feel comfortable taking any of my athletic but inexperienced friends through the Squeeze in its bolted-up condition and have a hard time buying this as a "4". I don't have the credentials or the experience to suggest pulling the bolts, but I am curious as to others' feelings on the subject. Should this be a real "4" testpiece or is it a popular enough canyon that the bolts should stay and it should become a trade route. Or do I not have any room to talk until I've done the canyon in a myriad of conditions? I realize it sounds like I'm starting the aforementioned discussion, but I just intend for it to focus on this particular canyon.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Sometimes, the most fun can be had in a bolted canyon--not using them and devising your own anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    I don't intend to start the bolt-wars discussion, but this is ostensibly a "4" canyon and I think that anyone doing it can\should be prepared for that. I would feel comfortable taking any of my athletic but inexperienced friends through the Squeeze in its bolted-up condition and have a hard time buying this as a "4". I don't have the credentials or the experience to suggest pulling the bolts, but I am curious as to others' feelings on the subject. Should this be a real "4" testpiece or is it a popular enough canyon that the bolts should stay and it should become a trade route. Or do I not have any room to talk until I've done the canyon in a myriad of conditions? I realize it sounds like I'm starting the aforementioned discussion, but I just intend for it to focus on this particular canyon.
    You are right, Seegers Hole is not a difficult canyon (exiting a pothole or two can be a little tricky in some conditions). However it is quite popular, and people expect the current anchors to be there, so I think pulling bolts in there is a bad idea. As oldno7 said, you can have fun in not using them. The last time I did it, we probably didn't use half of the bolted anchors, downclimbing many of the drops.

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    You are right, Seegers Hole is not a difficult canyon (exiting a pothole or two can be a little tricky in some conditions). However it is quite popular, and people expect the current anchors to be there, so I think pulling bolts in there is a bad idea. As oldno7 said, you can have fun in not using them. The last time I did it, we probably didn't use half of the bolted anchors, downclimbing many of the drops.
    ^ Agreed

segers would only be somewhat difficult if there were no bolts. however, the pothole that often has the tyrolean can be somewhat tricky if the tyrolean is gone, or if you don't use the bolts. fun practice spot. still one of the prettiest canyons i think. very fun.

In regards to the shortcut route that we used that a group had named the " mining claim shortcut" We used a map and compass, we did not have a gps. The climb out of the river looks hard but was fairly easy and was not exposed. We crossed no major drainages. We used a small drainage to enter Segers. I will post some pictures and a better description.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TNugent View Post
    Segers hole May 6th. Using beta from a group that had found this shortcut about 15 years ago, they called it the mining claim shortcut, we went down the Muddy about 15 to 20 minutes, followed the cairns up the ramp on the right to the head of Segers. Entered the canyon about 15 minutes North of the normal way in. Water to about 3 feet deep, no swims. Group of 3 car to car 9.5 hours
    I too have heard of this shortcut and am very curious. So would like to nail it down and BEAT SHANE to it.

"Down the Muddy 15 or 20 minutes"

I guess the question is, where do you start the clock on that 15 or 20 minutes.

I think I have been confused in the past because I thinking of starting the clock when you first cross the Muddy near the mining claim, a few minutes below the set of shacks we might call the Hidden Splendor Motel 6. Sounds like you are crossing the river there and then finding a ramp to head up toward the top?? I seem to remember an old mining road heading up a ramp on the west side...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    segers would only be somewhat difficult if there were no bolts. however, the pothole that often has the tyrolean can be somewhat tricky if the tyrolean is gone, or if you don't use the bolts. fun practice spot. still one of the prettiest canyons i think. very fun.
    There is also a somewhat "in context" rating applied. In the Swell, it is among the most difficult. But really, all bolted up as it is, it is not difficult at all. Quandary is considerably more difficult - but what else is even in the running?

Tom

I am sorry the route description was a not complete. I thought that since another group had given us this information that the trail would be known. We started out at the motel 6 by the Hidden Splendor mine. 15 to 20 minutes down stream we hiked up the slope going to the North. At the top of the slope we found an old mining claim post. At the top of the ridge we hiked West between the cliffs on the left and the drainage on the right. When the cliff band ended we followed one of the small drainages into Segers. It is really straight pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by TNugent View Post
    I am sorry the route description was a not complete. I thought that since another group had given us this information that the trail would be known. We started out at the motel 6 by the Hidden Splendor mine. 15 to 20 minutes down stream we hiked up the slope going to the North. At the top of the slope we found an old mining claim post. At the top of the ridge we hiked West between the cliffs on the left and the drainage on the right. When the cliff band ended we followed one of the small drainages into Segers. It is really straight pretty straight forward.
    Thanks, I'll give it a look next time I am in the area. Tom

Speaking of the Squeeze - someone had to leave a rope on the last rap. We grabbed it. Let me know if it's yours and we'll figure out how to get it back to you. I'm curious though - how did you make it down the other raps but not have enough rope for the last one?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Looking at google maps this looks like a good possibility.

Name:  squeeze..jpg
Views: 473
Size:  106.6 KB

That was my best guess... but that dumps you in a lot further up than 15 minutes. I know the route on my website dumps you in about 15 minutes above the way Tom lists, and there is still a lot of canyon above my entrance.

Anyhoo.... I'm intrigued with this entrance.