Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has a Green River permit?

Thanks for the pointers. Yeah, the outfitter just told us to expect >8K for our run (put in July 8). They also said a few folks have canceled due to the high flow and a few commercial rafts have flipped. Sounds like we'll be in for some excitement...
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like we are launching on Lodore on 14th of July, hopefully the flow will keep at ~9k, I'd love to see Lodore at flood stage. ststephen, please post a TR as soon as you get off, I'd be curious what sites you guys stayed at, what's flooded and what's open.

Thanks!

We're just getting out on the 13th. I'll try to post something that eve in whatever hotel we stop at on the way back to CA. If you can check this thread via a smart phone perhaps I can pass along some tips. Our put in is actually 7/9; camping at the river on 7/8 the night before. Boy the rivers up in MT (where I'm visiting now) are all sure huge!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Yes, everything is raging now!

Ya man, I will check this thread on my way to put in. I drive out early morning of the put in so will have reception on the way. If there is something useful to pass along, let me know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Looks like we are launching on Lodore on 14th of July, hopefully the flow will keep at ~9k, I'd love to see Lodore at flood stage. ststephen, please post a TR as soon as you get off, I'd be curious what sites you guys stayed at, what's flooded and what's open.

Thanks!
    Looks like you don't have to worry about it, the two main tributaries of Flaming Gorge are over 10,000 cfs combined...

http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/station/fl...plot.cgi?ltaw4
    http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/station/fl...plot.cgi?grrw4

8850 cfs this morning at the dam Have a great run!.

I think I was not fast enough to help Alex. It was great! Our group had a lot of kids, the youngest being 6 and 8. The family with those two youngest kids decided to split up and meet us at Echo Park to rejoin. That opened up a boat for rowing, so instead of sharing rowing duties I did the whole thing. We camped at Pot Creek 2, Rippling Brook 1, Jones Hole 1, and The Cove. At the Cove, we had to share the site because a small group was already there and they said that Compromise was under water. Not sure if it was (we didn't really look for it), but a lot of the eddies were hard to catch with the big flow. Rippling Brook's beach was gone under water too (from what they tell me).

We had a little rain, but not bad. Mosquitoes were not too bad either. Worst spot for them was the Cove and the put-in at Gates.

What a great time! I'll post a full TR when I'm finally home.

Sounds like you had fun. Can't wait for the report. Alex will be fine not near as high of flow 4600 CFS this morning at the dam.

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    Sounds like you had fun. Can't wait for the report. Alex will be fine not near as high of flow 4600 CFS this morning at the dam.
    Doh! I wonder why they reduced the flow?

Trying to fill the the lake by juggling how much water they expect to come in versus how much storage area they have left. I think the "normal" flow is around 1200-1800 CFS.

Just got back last night. Our sites weren't the best. We stayed at Tripplet, Jones 1 and Cove. We had almost a lay over day since we only had to go from Jones 1 to Cove one day, so we didn't launch until 2:30pm. Cove was hot! No shade at all.

The flow was 6k and dropped to 4500 cfs. It was a fun mellow ride. At that flow things are easy. We had a few kayakers swim a few rapids. Everyone was new to duckies and one lady brought an ocean kayak, she ended up swimming a few rapids before giving up completely.

We had a blast, I am still recovering from lack of sleep and the river partying Met great folks.

The bugs were bad at the Cove camp site, everywhere else they were fine.

Just got back last night.

I'll be posting some pics today, video later this week

What a difference a couple of days makes. We had near 9K the whole time. We did the same late start from Jones to Cove. The rain late in the day as we arrived at the Cove made it less hot and provided a very nice sunset. Pics coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'll be posting some pics today, video later this week
    I forgot to give you my SLR memory card for the Hell's Half mile footage.

I forgot to give you my SLR memory card for the Hell's Half mile footage.
    Yeah, I didn't realize you were filming video. I'll see if I can get it from you this week if you want it thrown in with my stuff.

It's fine, but I am leaving on Wed early in am :(

It's fine, but I am leaving on Wed early in am :(
    I might be able to run over with a hard drive and grab the files from you if it's convenient for you Tuesday evening?

Sure and bring my bag?

I'll be packing though