Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogley - Nelson Hills 5-2-11

Bogley - Nelson Hills 5-2-11

So Garbonzo called the other day and said he was coming to Vegas on Sunday to hit up a few strip clubs and asked if I wanted to get together for a ride. He was staying at the Texas Station (GHETTO) so I told him to leave his stuff in my garage and we would get together on Tuesday for a ride. We loaded up Tuesday at noon and headed out to the Nelson Hills. Mark had been out there briefly Sunday night to check it out ‘cause he’d heard it was pretty gnarly and he ended up in some of the harder stuff but I assured him we would take it easy and have a good time. Now I was a little worried about meeting a guy on the internet and then going out in the woods with him….I was afraid he was going to hit me with a rock and go all Deliverance on me. So I tried to never let him get to close to me out there! My buddies here in town started calling it my bromance and asking if I was going to be okay. They just don’t understand how awesome UUtah is….er I mean Bogley!

We did our typical 40 mile loop though I decided to bypass some of the harder stuff on the back loop since I think we were both getting a little tired towards the back 10 miles. I’d obviously been on the loop multiple times before but it was fun to see Mark having a blast. Our loop consists of a lot of ridgeline singletrack separated by high speed desert washes and cross-desert whooped out connectors. Mark seemed to really enjoy the stuff. He was wearing a GoPro the whole time so there should be some great video coming, though It’ll be fun to see if he edits out ‘certain parts’!

I think he caught one of my near wrecks on video where my front tire tied to wash and buck me in one of the tight turns going up one of the washes. I know that he CONVENIENTLY had the camera off when he ran into me. We were going up a steep hill and I started to lose momentum (bald rear tire) so I started to clutch the smoker and Mark must have been trying to show off since he attempted an ill-advised mid hill climb pass that managed to get my handlebar stuck in the freshly burned hole in his tool bag behind the seat which of course pinned the throttle and nearly made us both launch off the hill. The burned hole in the tool bag is another story that I’ll let Mark share. Ask him how far he had to backtrack to find the tool bag remains…..

Overall we had a good time. Lots of fun, I never wrecked so it was a good trip for me, but someone else wasn’t so fortunate. The weather was nice and we had the area to ourselves so no worrying about launching over the hilltops. We hit some good trail and had a great time talking about all sorts of things at the stops. Good times, good people, and good riding. What more can you ask for on a Tuesday afternoon?

I didn’t take any pics but I know Mark is going to post some video in the next day or so that should be awesome!

I tried to get the map to embed but for some reason it's not working. Anyways it shows our tracks and my speed at each mile.

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://sha...10503-1347.kml
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

map attempt #1
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Map attempt #2 WTF.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

You guys sound like a couple n00bs!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    You guys sound like a couple n00bs!
    So much hate, it's okay Mark already told me how much you suck at riding anyways! He said he spent the whole day at Warner valley mothering you along.Actually he lamented that we couldn't all get together and ride more often. We had a good time. I think he's getting hooked on desert riding!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Here's your map. Rather than grabbing the link from the address bar of your browser, use the "Link" button in the upper-right of the Google map and get the link from there.

Can't wait to see some video from Garbanzo!
    Blog | FB

Thanks. I must be mildly retarded.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Thanks. I must be mildly retarded.
    Mildly?
    I dont get it?!
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    Mildly?
    I dont get it?!
    CAREFUL! Your stuff is still in my garage. I'm going over to the classifieds and selling a specialized fsr and a beat-up yzf.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

CAREFUL! Your stuff is still in my garage. I'm going over to the classifieds and selling a specialized fsr and a beat-up yzf.
    Beat up? His pride and joy?! I gotta hear about this and I demand a video clip.

BTW...I am planning on riding my Katoom this weekend for the first time since tearing my MCL.

I knew that was coming. All kidding aside, I had a great time. That was one of the best, if not the best ride I've been on. The NV desert rocks! Good host, good ride. You guys are teaching me some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    I knew that was coming. All kidding aside, I had a great time. That was one of the best, if not the best ride I've been on. The NV desert rocks! Good host, good ride. You guys are teaching me some good stuff.
    Yep, it was a blast. I'm glad it was the best ride you've been on. Lots more like it around here!

Garbonzo is dragging ass with this video. I guess it takes a lot of time to edit out all your crashes!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

He called me all depressed about how he performed in front of another Yamaha lover.

He didn't even post his last ride on Bogley? WTF, dood.

He called me all depressed about how he performed in front of another Yamaha lover.

He didn't even post his last ride on Bogley? WTF, dood.
    I don't know what he is talking about. He did fine. That loop is harsh and requires a pretty intense level of energy for 40 miles. There aren't many spots where you can just sit back and relax. Most people that we take out there bail on the back side of the loop since they are usually wiped by then. The video should be good, lots of terrain changes and some pretty cool singletrack.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Just giving him shit. He did say it was demanding. Sounds fun to me...worn out? Nah!

You guys are too much. Just to clarify. I was not THAT tired and could've taken the harder loop. It wasn't a real hard ride, just an awesome one. I was definitely NOT looking forward to the sand washes and certainly wasn't as fast as Nelson. With some good advise from "His Awesomeness" (loosening my elbow guards and increasing the front rebound), I fixed all that. Stiffening up the front forks made a world of difference in the sand. I'm glad we went there, because now I will look forward to what I used to dread. You guys yak, I listen. Sorry about the delay in the editing dept.. I had to play catch up on work today, and now it's off to time with the kids. Remember, I'm writing the book on "Keeping the Green Light lit". It's all part of the process.

We all need to ride soon. Maybe St. George...

We all need to ride soon. Maybe St. George...
    I'll be there with the family on June 3,4,5. Just sayin....

Ok, Here is the video I put together of nelsonccc and I riding Nelson Hills. I've also attached the tracks map. I hope you enjoy it.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212835560203901410014.0004a267c17c5cb0b73e9&t=h&z=12

Looks really cool!

I dig the slip n' slide slow-mo.