Thread: Grand Staircase

Grand Staircase

I was originally planning to head up Boulder Mountain for Memorial Day but due to snowpack we decided to postpone that trip for a month. We now are headed to Escalante to hike from Deer Creek/Boulder Creek to Hwy 12. Has anyone ever done this trip? Any info on the fishing, good camping spots, or river conditions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I attempted that route two years ago over Memorial Day weekend and got rained/flooded out. Long shot that it will happen again -- but maybe have a plan C in mind. I plan on heading there in few weeks to try it again (before MDW.) FYI -- the deepest narrows/water in Boulder Creek is not too far up from the Escalante. There are plenty of decent camping spots along the Escalante.

- Jamal

Nice. Let us know how it goes when you get back, but based on your other trip reports this is more of an afternoon stroll for you.

I haven't read much about Boulder Creek. Would it be doable with a full size pack or are the narrows and water extensive?

Thx. It'll be more than a day hike -- but not quite as crazy as my previous UT outtings. I hope to spend 3 or 4 days exploring the area with a big loop hike.

Re: Boulder Cr.-- I've read that it can be done with a big pack, but that it can be a slow because of several deep pools that are tough/impossible to avoid. I'm curious to find out the reality. I know there is a gauge station there -- but haven't done the comparison to evaluate the flow.

- Jamal

So from some of the info I have been getting, Boulder Creek is too high to travel safely now, and I am guessing the warm weekend will only raise the water levels, so it is time for plan C. It looks like we are just going to hike up the Escalante River from hwy 12 and back. The more I read about the hike, the more I wish I had a few more days (or weeks) to explore. Oh well, should still be a good hike though I am thinking it might be a good idea to leave the rod home.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    So from some of the info I have been getting, Boulder Creek is too high to travel safely now, and I am guessing the warm weekend will only raise the water levels, so it is time for plan C. It looks like we are just going to hike up the Escalante River from hwy 12 and back. The more I read about the hike, the more I wish I had a few more days (or weeks) to explore. Oh well, should still be a good hike though I am thinking it might be a good idea to leave the rod home.
    My 2 cents; The Escalante is a better hike from the town trailhead down. Sure, no arches like the lower canyon but much more dramatic, way bigger walls and more narrow. A fair amount of bushwhacking in the lower half as well although that is being remedied by the BLM last I was there. If you can pull off a shuttle it makes an excellent point to point from the town trailhead to the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    My 2 cents; The Escalante is a better hike from the town trailhead down. Sure, no arches like the lower canyon but much more dramatic, way bigger walls and more narrow. A fair amount of bushwhacking in the lower half as well although that is being remedied by the BLM last I was there. If you can pull off a shuttle it makes an excellent point to point from the town trailhead to the bridge.
    Oh interesting. I kind of figured they would be similar stretches of canyon. How are the campsites in the upper section? Since we don't have a shuttle and would be doing an out and back, do you think it would be a nice trip to hike about half way down on day 1, explore further down river and some the side canyons on day 2 while returning to original base camp that night, and then hiking out on day 3? if I were to do that would you suggest starting in town and going down, or starting on the bridge and going up?
    Thanks for the info.

Everything about the upper canyon is better in my opinion, including campsites. The first backpacking trip I ever went on, we hiked down from the town trailhead about 3-4 miles, setup camp, and then the second day hiked down to Death Hollow and up into it. I think that's a way better option than coming up from the bridge. Just make sure you're ready to get your feet wet and get into Death Hollow early for some good swimming.

I've done many trips down that way, here's a few:

http://backcountrypost.com/?p=141
    http://backcountrypost.com/?p=321
    http://backcountrypost.com/?p=281
    http://backcountrypost.com/?p=338

That first one started at the town trailhead, down the Escalante, up Death Hollow and out to the bridge. The others are other variations.

@uintafly, apparently the admins won't let me post links anymore but go to my website (in my signature) and click on the Escalante category from the sidebar. At least 4 good trip reports there to help you out. The one I did in Sept of last year is a really good one for you, but instead of going out to the bridge just turn around and go back to the town trailhead. That's actually the first backpacking trip I ever went on. Went about 3-4 miles in from the town trailhead and then day hiked down into Death Hollow and back. Very nice trip and WAY better then the canyon from Death Hollow down to the bridge. Email me if you have questions. Happy to help, too bad I've now been stripped of helping in the form of links.

I like both sections of the Escalante to Calf Creek hike and I have to admit that I really like the lower section because of the arches and ruins. The entire hike is certainly worth doing.

Would it be doable with a full size pack or are the narrows and water extensive?
    As long as you waterproof everything in dry bags it shouldn't be a problem. The narrows aren't tight, so fitting a pack through isn't a problem.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Hey, @Scott P, I tried posting a link to it but the bogley cops won't let me, I posted a trip report on my blog from my backpacking trip down Fortymile this past weeked. First post if you go to my website (in my signature). Thanks for the tips on that one.

Nice TR. That is one of my favorites.

They won't let you post a link?

Does it work when I post it?

http://backcountrypost.com/?p=775
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Nice TR. It is one of my favorites.

What is up with the link thing? I must have missed something? If I want to post a link that has beta, is it against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Nice TR. It is one of my favorites.

What is up with the link thing? I must have missed something? If I want to post a link that has beta, is it against the rules?
    Thanks, Scott. I don't know whats up with the link thing. Must be something new but I can't seem to post anything with links in it anymore, I get the message that its being held for moderation. I sent a message to beech and acca. Hopefully its just a glitch or something.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Thanks, Scott. I don't know whats up with the link thing. Must be something new but I can't seem to post anything with links in it anymore, I get the message that its being held for moderation. I sent a message to beech and acca. Hopefully its just a glitch or something.
    I get it too.

Looks like the 'moderated' posts are now approved in here but my the new thread I posted for my latest TR is still MIA.... hmmmm

What a great hike! We ended up hiking in from the city trailhead to Death Hollow and then day hiked up Death Hollow. Along the Escalante the desert was more in bloom than I have ever seen it; red's, purple's, pink's, yellow's and orange's in abundance, and Death Hollow was just spectacular. The fact that the river was flowing between 80-140 cfs just made the river crossings more exciting, especially on the way up canyon. Thanks for all the advice (expecially ibenick) I will definately do this one again.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    What a great hike! We ended up hiking in from the city trailhead to Death Hollow and then day hiked up Death Hollow. Along the Escalante the desert was more in bloom than I have ever seen it; red's, purple's, pink's, yellow's and orange's in abundance, and Death Hollow was just spectacular. The fact that the river was flowing between 80-140 cfs just made the river crossings more exciting, especially on the way up canyon. Thanks for all the advice (expecially ibenick) I will definately do this one again.
    Awesome. Glad it worked out and sounds like it was beautiful out with all the blooms. Bring on the trip report!