Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Spur

Looks like water levels are still rising...
    We'll be staying in the area on 05/18 and 05/19, and planned to see High Spur. Low level wading would be ok, but swimming we'd like to avoid. Would be good to read some recent TR.

Anybody willing to join us for the adventure?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kryzzle View Post
    Looks like water levels are still rising...
    We'll be staying in the area on 05/18 and 05/19, and planned to see High Spur. Low level wading would be ok, but swimming we'd like to avoid. Would be good to read some recent TR.?
    We went through High Spur Yesterday. At the first drop there was a pool with water up to below my chest at the deepest part. If there is not more rain in the area between now and your trip I would expect the water level to be even lower when you go down.

If the fresh looking water level marks on the walls were indicative of where the water level was last weekend, it looks like it fell about 2 feet in that section. You can probably expect the same to happen between now and your trip.

There were 2 or three other puddles of water yesterday, but nothing else above my knees.

Stick, what about when just entering the corkscrew? When we were there last weekend, just as you start to get to the real sinuous type slot, there were 2 potholes with about waist deep water. Did you find any water in these? If not, would one be able to upclimb out of those if not wanting to do the final rap, rather just hike back up canyon and out?

Yesterday at the start of the corkscrew section I recall only pot with knee deep water. There were a couple others that were muddy. At the pot with knee deep water I would probably fix a rope if planning on retreating up canyon, though I think a group of two or more people could push and pull each other up it. I would consider it a semi-keeper if going back up.

I would be more worried about getting up the rappel/downclimb right before the final drop, or getting back up the chockstone that comes after the corkscrew section. You posted two photos of the spot I am thinking of in one of your earlier posts. One of them has a picture of someone in the foreground carrying a tripod and his shoes while wading through some water, with someone else in the background standing on top of the chokestone. The spot only had a bit of mud yesterday.

By the way, those are some fantastic photos.

Well, thats a good sign that the water is already almost gone. I wouldn't bother going past the corkscrew section, so the chockstone, and second to final drop wouldn't even come into play. We would take a small rope and fix it at the small potholes just prior to the corkscrew somehow.

My son and I would be willing to join you on the adventure. I can let you know by the end of he week.

James.

Adam, I'd lay high odds that the canyon is escapable from that inner rim area where we rapped in to the Corkscrew the second time.