Thread: Neon, Choprock, Ringtail, Headless Hen, Raven

Neon, Choprock, Ringtail, Headless Hen, Raven

Trip Report: Neon, Choprock, Ringtail, Headless Hen, Raven

We were in Escalante a couple weeks ago 4/11-4/17. We couldn't have asked for better conditions. Sunny skies, mild temps, perfect water levels, no crowds haha. I posted about the conditions a while back, so here I just wanted to put up some photos. And a short a teaser video.
    The full trip report write up with many more photos can be found at my smugmug gallery linked here: http://bladerider.smugmug.com/Canyon...nteTripReport/

And I'll hopefully get a proper video up soon. I couldn't resist the iMove trailer template though. Too much fun. here's the hilarious iMovie teaser:

Attached below on this page are just a few of the many great photos we captured on our trip. Click on any of the images to be taken to my full trip report.

NEON

RINGTAIL

CHOPROCK

RAVEN

See the rest over here: http://forrestkleinman.smugmug.com/C...nteTripReport/
    Last edited by bladerider; 05-01-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Edited links

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome video! Can't wait for the full length movie! That looks a lot like what Neon was like when we did it a couple years ago in September. It's a blast!

Blade,

It was nice to meet you at Egypt, we were the two New Yorkers heading down to Neon, Choprock, and Ringtail. We did all three also. Thanks for the great beta at the TH, and nice vid!

Excellent. Look forward to the finished product. I really like the first photo of the fist pump in a pot hole.
    Life is Good

Awesome TR, all (except Ringtail, still never done it) are some of my favorites. Did you do Headless and Raven the same day?

Rock and Roll man! Very cool report, photos and video.

Thanks everyone, for the nice comments. I'm working on the final edit of the video and hope to have it up next week.

Just curious, how did the format of this SmugMug gallery trip report work for everyone? I prefer telling the story with photos versus paragraphs, and captions seemed like a nice way to do it.

Great trip report!!!

How much wetsuit did you guys have on for Choprock?

Quote Originally Posted by jhillock View Post
    How much wetsuit did you guys have on for Choprock?
    I was wearing a 5mm plus a 3mm shorty. And on one ocasion I added a 1.5mm shirt, but it wasn't necessary. My partner was wearing a 7/5. We both had 5mm goves and 5mm socks. We were quite comfortable.

Have you heard about the Canyoneering film festival at Zion Ponderosa this fall?

Quote Originally Posted by backofbeyond View Post
    Have you heard about the Canyoneering film festival at Zion Ponderosa this fall?
    I have not heard of it, care to fill me in?

The A.C.A. is hosting it this September 15-18 as part of the Zion Rendevzous. I posted an ad for it in the forums(ACA Film Fest); it contains the contact info. or you can check canyoneering.net. The web page for the film festival should be up in the next couple of weeks. F.E.E.C. is also hosting a film fest http://www.gorgs-feec.cat
    Last edited by backofbeyond; 05-07-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: more info.

Wow! Stunning pictures. Some of the best I've seen. I've taken a zillion pictures in slot canyons and know how difficult it is to get good shots in DRY canyons. Much less when your gear has to be in waterproof bags and everyone is cold! Super nice job. Can't wait for the full video. The trailer is so cool.

And I sure appriciate the beta you gave us right after your trip. We went through on Saturday (Apr 30) and had a great time. We were running late when we got to the first keeper and getting a bit cold so we climbed up to the bolt and used it. I went first and then sat riding the "saddle" below the pothole and being glad we wern't trying to get up out of it. The bolt hanger had been pounded down but the webbing was there so we used it. The fun little pothole arches just above the lower keeper were a fun surprise. And I could have hung just where the final rap become free for hours, it was so very cool. Speaking of cool, we had 4/3 wetsuits with neo socks and were pretty good. I had "paddling" gloves and was amazed how cold my hands were while actually swimming. But what a cool canyon. Here's our motley crew. (I'm in the middle.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."
    Nietzsche

http://justcallmeutah.net

Oh yeah, to my right is my nephew Jeb Bjerke from California and to my left is my long time climbing and Utah partner, Mark Wright-Johnson from (recently) Florida!
    Mike
    "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."
    Nietzsche

http://justcallmeutah.net