Thread: Download USGS Maps

Download USGS Maps

At one time I seen a link within the Bogley neighborhood that was a like to downloadable USGS maps. It was sponsered by some kind of water mapping thing. Any help out there??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I posted this link a little while back. These are 15min maps mostly from the 50's and 60's but some earlier. I download the .tiff images and view them with photo editing software.

ftp://ftp.agrc.utah.gov/Imagery/DRG_Vintage/62_5KQuads/

the division of water rights link now takes you here.

http://gis.utah.gov/usgs-topographic...pographic-maps
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I must be doing something wrong, when clicking on a map to download I cannot open it? Is there a program I am not seeing I need to download?

Mark

Which maps? The first or the second link?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Deadeye,
    Great link to vintage maps. They doesn't have all Utah maps - it's a pity.
    Here's an other option for downloadable USGS maps: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/beta/

i think they are tiff files, so photoshop should work. or you could download global mapper ($200) or arc view to view the drg maps.

i would just drop the $50 and get Nat. Geo. TOPO for Utah. easier to view, easier to print, can add info to the map, can transfer gps info back and forth, just so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    i think they are tiff files, so photoshop should work. or you could download global mapper ($200) or arc view to view the drg maps.

i would just drop the $50 and get Nat. Geo. TOPO for Utah. easier to view, easier to print, can add info to the map, can transfer gps info back and forth, just so much better.
    Are the maps on the Nat. Geo Topo vintage maps? Yes, you will need some type of photo editing software to view the .tiff files. The reason I like the older maps is because they show more ruins than the newer maps.

no they are not vintage maps. but then i didn't think this thread was concerned with vintage maps. thought hiker1202 was just looking for the water rights link to the drg maps that were there.

the vintage maps were discussed in a different thread. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52823 but i know you have already seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    no they are not vintage maps. but then i didn't think this thread was concerned with vintage maps. thought hiker1202 was just looking for the water rights link to the drg maps that were there.

the vintage maps were discussed in a different thread. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52823 but i know you have already seen that.
    You're right. I was just wondering about the Nat. Geo. maps since I've never used them.

Are the Nat. Geo. maps similar to Delorme's maps?

i think they are superior to delorme. the one thing delorme does better is that you can create your own symbols to put on your map. nat geo only allows you a set of prespecified symbols. otherwise nat geo seem to me to be much crisper in the layers, and smoother in their contours.

THX for sharing your opinion, denaliguide.
    Since 2007 I use Delorme's Topo - now vers. 9.
    The best way for me.
    Creating of own symbols is a nice feature, but aren't 183 symbols not enough?
    I think too, that Nat. Geo. maps are crisper in the layers, and smoother in their contours, if I compare both.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Are the Nat. Geo. maps similar to Delorme's maps?
    Nat. Geo. maps I found to have more detail than Delorme's, but Delorme has a sweet trail routing feature I love so I use both products.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn

FWIW: I use Nat Geo TOPO! for all my mapping needs. Over the years I've test/used just about everything and the Nat Geo TOPO! works well. Also it is based off the USGS 7.5 maps that everyone already knows makes the learning curve short.

The program is available through the Salt Lake County Library system if you want to check it out and take it for a test drive, that's what I did at first and I liked it enough that I purchased a copy. Now I have most the western states in my Nat Geo TOPO library.

Free USGS maps are available here:

Utah Division of Water Rights
    http://nrwrt1.nr.state.ut.us/cgi-bin...ew.exe?Startup

Libre Map Project
    http://libremap.org/

But if your time is worth anything buying a good mapping program is money well spent.