Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Escaping the Subway - Video

Awesome video. The Hero or other water proof video is now the must have device for these situations.

Say what you might about the stranded subway canyoneers, they all showed good judgement by pulling up where they were and not pushing fatigue, hypothermia, and adverse conditions. One can survive a long time with water and a 5 mm wetsuit. Although they were not rescued by SAR, no one should doubt the resolve of SAR teams. It was just a matter of time before additional resources would have been put through that canyon. Staying put shows good judgement and commendable discipline. Of course a personal locator beacon is helpful too.

This video should be standard fair for early season would be subway trippers.

In summary, wow, epic, glad everyone is no worse for the wear. Long live canyonman who should be granted immunity for any reason that caused him to make himself be scarce when the authorities showed up!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great Video!
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

At the risk of poking a stick into a hornet's nest: One could envision a non-exclusive guide system whereby the guides can be in the canyons without a permit and only guide clients who have their own permits (somewhat like the arrangement the BLM has with the guides for the Wave). The value of this is that the park service has very experienced individuals in the canyons who can step up in situations like this. Of course the argument is that this fills up the canyons with noobs. Not really sure that isn't already happening. Even in Yosemite Valley it is possible for a gumby to follow a guide up the Nose for a fee. How much impact does a trained individual have doing a canyon-probably a lot less then a group of noobs. OK-done stirring the hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The entire Subway epic of April 19, 2011 was captured on video by Anthony Dunster. He did an amazing job of putting this video together and editing. Watching the video will place you right in the middle of all the action. The complete video is just over 20 minutes long.
    Nice Video Along with the write ups this helps explain a lot. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences from this incident.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Bump - This was one year ago.

This year is certainly a different water year than last....

This video doesn't get any less awesome with the passage of time.
    Life is Good

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. I want to go back next time the water is like this, because it was sick!
    --Cliff

Just a heads up... The Weather channel will being airing a special on the Escaping the Subway video October 20, 2013. The premiere episodes air at 8 or 9pm, please check your local listings. It's part of a new series on extreme weather they are doing. Several of your Bogley favorites contributed to the Subway episode.

11. Likes Sandstone Addiction, ratagonia liked this post
    Thanks for the Bump on this one. Never saw it before.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just a heads up... The Weather channel will being airing a special on the Escaping the Subway video October 20, 2013. The premiere episodes air at 8 or 9pm, please check your local listings. It's part of a new series on extreme weather they are doing. Several of your Bogley favorites contributed to the Subway episode.

@Iceaxe , I looked for this to set the DVR, but couldn't find it on Sunday, Oct. 20. There was a show called weather caught on tape, but the description didn't have anything about the subway.

I assume that will be it. The show is going to be a series on the weather channel.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3 now Free

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    The section on the Subway will only be about 5 minutes long. They're going to have a bunch of other stuff in the episode as well.
    - Gavin

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    It was awesome to watch the video. Thank you for the bump.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Saw the Weather Channel episode last night. Well-edited and the short interviews were good. The YT video is riveting, to say the least.

Blog Entries
    I assume it will be online sometime this week?

Curious minds would like to know. Searching from a phone makes it a bit difficult.

-Brett
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It's not up yet and I don't know what the plans are for posting it. It was only like 4 or 5 minutes so it would be an easy clip for them to put up. We'll see. As far as the content of the video went, they did a pretty good job I thought, except they didn't mention Canyonman - who was the real hero of the day. When they interviewed me and Anthony they said they were going to simplify the story to make it easier for viewers, which makes sense, but they should have kept the part about Canyonman - he's the one who made it possible for us to get those hurt people down those waterfalls. Full story and original video here for those of you who somehow haven't heard this story. http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/subway2.htm

It's kind of interesting revisiting this event. For me and my group this was kind of a wake up call to become more competent, not just at being able to get down a canyon, but to be able to effectively aide anyone who may be hurt and be more prepared for unexpected situations. When we did this I was still not very good at using prussics and had never set up a guided rappel or any sort of contingency anchor. Since then I've become more educated and learned a large variety of ways to deal with emergencies... enough? no, but a lot better and I'd now be able to do for others what canyonman did for those hurt people. I hope this story and similar stories serve as a warning that regardless of your group or situation, things can change fast and we all should seek out training and regularly practice what we learn so we can be better prepared when our card comes up.
    - Gavin

22. Likes whansen, ilipichicuma liked this post