Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Escaping the Subway - Video

Escaping the Subway - Video

The entire Subway epic of April 19, 2011 was captured on video by Anthony Dunster. He did an amazing job of putting this video together and editing. Watching the video will place you right in the middle of all the action. The complete video is just over 20 minutes long.

And just about everything you could ever want to know about the day is here:

Escaping the Subway

A special thanks Gavin Hawkley and Anthony Dunster for making this possible for the armchair canyoneer in us all.

You might want to subscribe to the Climb-Utah YouTube channel when you are done. Adding a bunch of new video is high on my to-do list, its free to subscribe.

Enjoy the show!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

OK, now I really want to do that... Awesome video!
    Life is Good

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    That is a "Bad Ass" adventure! Great video.
    Chere'

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The entire Subway epic of April 19, 2011 was captured on video by Anthony Dunster. He did an amazing job of putting this video together and editing. Watching the video will place you right in the middle of all the action. The complete video is just over 20 minutes long and is divided into two parts because that's the only way I can show it to you at the moment. There is an extremely high quality video on my computer but I haven't yet figured out how to place it somewhere that everyone can watch and not kill me on bandwidth.

Video is here

And just about everything you could ever want to know about the day is here:

Escaping the Subway

A special thanks Gavin Hawkley and Anthony Dunster for making this possible for the armchair canyoneer in us all.

You might want to subscribe to my YouTube channel when you are done. Adding a bunch of new video is high on my to-do list, its free to subscribe.

Enjoy the show!

Vimeo.

T

I just can't believe Anthony did such a great job of capturing the whole thing. This wasn't Hollywood with two dozen retakes, he did this on the fly, in difficult conditions, one chance to get it right at each obstacle, had the entire video edited and sent to me two days after the event.... and to top it off he rescued several people along the way.... one of those reality shows show give this kid a job....

Funniest part to me was these guys are rescuing people right and left yet still sight-seeing.... "Oh, look at that pretty waterfall over there!"

This video makes those Bear Grylls, staged, multi retakes, over multiple days, with a large film crew look like major pussy crap.

I was extremely impressed with the video.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Vimeo.
    I checked... I don't meet their rules. That's more for wanna-be producers and artists. That and its $60 per year which is a little steep for me to host one video.

Thats a pretty sweet video, now we can see how it went down vs how the news describes it.

awesomeness.

I'm always amazed at some people's stupidity. Almost every time I've been in the Subway there is always some tourist unprepared for what they encounter. Once coming out of Das Boot there was a group that was pointing and laughing at how over the top we were with our wetsuits, helmets and harnesses as they walked by. Then they got stuck on the first rap (the one we easily bypassed on the left (LDC)) and wanted us to come help the chick who's shirt was caught up in the 8. Idiots. Once our Bogleyfest group was sitting at the last rap watching a kid hucking himself off the rim into a tiny 3' hole of water. A slight miscalculation and he would have broken a leg for sure. Retard.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I just can't believe Anthony did such a great job of capturing the whole thing. This wasn't Hollywood with two dozen retakes, he did this one the fly, in difficult conditions, one chance to get it right at each obstacle, had the entire video edited and sent to me two days after the event.... and to top it off he rescued several people along the way.... one of those reality shows show give this kid a job....
    Anthony is always, and I mean ALWAYS recording things. That's why it's fun to bring him on these trips. He always takes awesome pictures and records video of everything. Sometimes we look at him and say, "Really, Anthony?" But we're always happy to have it when we're done. He takes pictures and shoots video when no one else wants to.

That is just awesome

Definitely not 2005 levels and absolutely no reason for it to be closed right now. Also, There's a much easier way around keyhole falls.

Makes me want to go do the subway again. The first time i did it, it was a torrent and it was awesome. I've never been able to time it right to do it like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    Definitely not 2005 levels and absolutely no reason for it to be closed right now. Also, There's a much easier way around keyhole falls.
    Having never done the route in high water.... tell me about the easier route around the Keyhole Falls?

Wow...great footage!

Nice editing, too.

As an aside...the comment, "lucky we had 4-5 headlamps", uhh, isn't a headlamp standard in everyone's kit for these kinda gigs, no matter how long the day hike?

Great video!

Amazing stuff in that video! I love the fact that everyone in the group is still having a good time while rescuing others. Bad ass for sure!

Just got off the phone with the backcountry desk. Subway is still closed because it's *unsafe* but they will issue me a permit for Heaps. Anyone up for it :)

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    awesomeness.

I'm always amazed at some people's stupidity. Almost every time I've been in the Subway there is always some tourist unprepared for what they encounter. Once coming out of Das Boot there was a group that was pointing and laughing at how over the top we were with our wetsuits, helmets and harnesses as they walked by. Then they got stuck on the first rap (the one we easily bypassed on the left (LDC)) and wanted us to come help the chick who's shirt was caught up in the 8. Idiots. Once our Bogleyfest group was sitting at the last rap watching a kid hucking himself off the rim into a tiny 3' hole of water. A slight miscalculation and he would have broken a leg for sure. Retard.
    This is Jenny, one of the two who spent 4 days in the canyon.

Mr. nelsonccc, I am glad you enjoy calling people retards... and maybe some do deserve to be called that. I have done quite a few canyons you'd be surprised, don't put me in "some unprepared tourist" category. Yes I didn't expect that much water and didn't have enought experience to get myself and my boyfriend (it was his first canyoneering trip) across keyhole falls. Unplanned things happen ... I made the right decision to discontinue and wait for help. How awesome, we were prepared enough to spend 4 days in the canyon and still have enough energy to complete a 9 hour hike out on the fourth day, get in our car and drive away.

Thanks Anthony for this awesome video , and Gavin for writing such an accurate and detailed report.
    And thanks everyone else! It is sad the Subway is closed, which is partially my fault :( . I believe we (canyoneers) are the ones who should to decide to go throught the canyon or not, especially right now when everyone is aware of the current conditions. I would definatly do this trip all over again even with more water, this time with experienced people like Gavin!