Thread: Stansbury Island Camping

Stansbury Island Camping

Thinking of heading out to Stansbury Island to do some camping & see the petroglyphs. Anybody know of any good campsites out there?
    I'm also up for recommendations for other things to see out there.
    Summit- I know you've been out there a time or two- any "must sees"?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There was some talk about Stansbury here that made me want to get out there this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    There was some talk about Stansbury here that made me want to get out there this year...
    That's why I want to go out there. See the petroglyphs. Looking around and seeing anything else would be cool too. It's far enough out there that I could do it in a day, but why day trip something like that when you could turn it into an overnighter!

In addition to the original question about campsites & petroglyphs I wonder what time of year is best to visit? It looks pretty exposed (no shade) so I don't want to be out there in the heat of summer but I wonder when the bugs are at their worst?

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has info for out that way. I'll put a TR up after I go.

I have no clue where the any of the rock art is, recall seeing some photos recently of them and they were not impressive at all. Most of the spots I hit up are on private property so I guess that makes me a poacher. The bugs out there can get so insanely horrible its something you will need to experience to understand. But with these cold spring they may not be out in full force as of yet... I can ask around if you want.

I would only be interested is camping out there during the summer when the Milky way is rocking on a clear night with a new moon. Getting some milky way reflections shots on the evaporation ponds out there has been on my hit list for a while now.

Here are some of my photos from Stansbury island, If you need to know where something is just post the link back to this thread and I will reply back with the cords. http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=stan...30%40N00&s=int

I would avoid camping on Stansbury Island when you can go east an hour or so and camp in a cave big enough to drive in ;)..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    In addition to the original question about campsites & petroglyphs I wonder what time of year is best to visit? It looks pretty exposed (no shade) so I don't want to be out there in the heat of summer but I wonder when the bugs are at their worst?
    Well, I can vouch that now is not a good time to visit. We made it out there and did do our camping, but the bugs were a bit crazy. They weren't terrible, but my head itches like crazy now. Bring bugspray if you go. I'd only recommend going from Nov-March. I'll post a TR later.