Thread: The Sun Face in Diamond Fork

The Sun Face in Diamond Fork

Content removed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Author Steve Shaffer offers a story of the sun face that traces it back to the late 1800's, or at least it was first found by a cowboy around that time, thus dating it to either Native Americans or Spanish origins. That said I've heard nothing more credible than this anecdotal story and thus it could just as easily be a 30 year old art project.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

It was made by some tripping hipsters in 1969. Descendants of the Smiling Sunburst Clan.

I ran into an old cowboy who was tracking a mountain lion in prep for a hunt up there one time. He said it was Spanish as well. He thought it might be a trail marker from the Escalante/Dominguez timeframe. He mentioned that there is spanish cross carved into the base of a cliff on the other side of the river and a bit north. He pointed to the face from the parking lot. Josh and I spent an afternoon looking but never found the cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I ran into an old cowboy who was tracking a mountain lion in prep for a hunt up there one time. He said it was Spanish as well. He thought it might be a trail marker from the Escalante/Dominguez timeframe. He mentioned that there is spanish cross carved into the base of a cliff on the other side of the river and a bit north. He pointed to the face from the parking lot. Josh and I spent an afternoon looking but never found the cross.
    I've seen pictures of the cross. We wanted to look for it, but ran out of time. I plan on going back sometime to find it.