Thread: Tabernacle Dome

Tabernacle Dome

Andy, Bert and I got together this morning with intent to climb Tabernacle Dome. Courtney describes this Dome Peak as a 2-4 hour trip with bushwacking, 3rd, 4th and low grade 5th class climbing with some resonable exposure and magnificent views up top. Yep...it's what he says! We started out around 7:45 AM and made it up to the base of the northern ridge (half way up) in pretty good time even though it started raining on us. Hunkering down under a small overhang we saw our hopes of summiting dwindle. After maybe 45 minutes it began letting up and we had renewed hopes. The rock was wet and crumbly so we waited another 20-30 minutes and the rock lost the shimmer, but remained wet and slippery on the patches of lichen. We went for it and with very little protection were able to work our way up the ridge with two roped up pitches and a final 3rd class scramble to the top. WOW was Courtney right! The views were absolutely stunning and the atmosphere was crystal as the rain had knocked down dust and pollution. There was a stunning waterfall far below as the stream cascaded down from Lee Valley and rushed toward The Left Fork of North Creek! The Dome Plateau is relatively flat and consists of several acres sporting stunted, twisted pine trees and numerous small pools of fresh rain water. We decided to do some investigation and were able to head south off the dome to the wooded southern ridge with only 1 rappel of 150'. I had spotted a small chimney from the road on many occasions and knew that if we could find it from atop, we might be able to get down the western face with our limited rope supply of 1-200' rope, 1 60' rope and 40' of webbing. It took us a couple wrong turns, some bushwacking, some ridge crossings, but finally we found a chimney that would yield with some crafty anchor building. After a rappel of 80' we were able to scramble back to the base of Tabernacle Dome, work our way to the road and then up the road to our vehicle. It was an awesome adventure and I now wish to go back and explore more of the southern plateau bellow Tabernacle Dome! Andy and Bert were awesome hiking partners and I know they are ready to head back as well. I took quite a bit of video, but don't know when I'll have tome to piece together a clip, however I know Bert was taking a lot of pictures and maybe this week he'll hit me with a CD and we can share our adventure visually!?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    nice, it was on my list. in fact I was going to ask if you wanted to do this climb with me

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome Bo. Looking forward to the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Awesome Bo. Looking forward to the photos!
    Are you returned from your "Paradise"? Look forward to seeing some pictures Tanya!

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    nice, it was on my list. in fact I was going to ask if you wanted to do this climb with me
    Hoping to head up again in the near future? Will certainly let you know Shaun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Hoping to head up again in the near future? Will certainly let you know Shaun!
    So it's worth repeating? I'm wondering how it ranks against some of the classics. I think CP ranked it high 4 or 3 *.

Here are some pictures that Bert took. Hope to get a video figured out one of these days too?
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

awesome

Went back out yesterday and did a north to south traverse of Tabernacle Dome. Found a way off the south side of the dome without the need of rope. Also found a short rappel of 35' to get down and back to the vehicle. Shot some video on our trip yesterday.

Bogley BigShot

Nice video Bo.