Thread: What tires should I get?

What tires should I get?

I'm looking for some new tires, what would you guys suggest? The usual same ol' riding style, singletrack with some slickrock here and there.

I'd like some good tires to help me lean a little more into the corners on the way down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Best tires I've ever had were Kenda Nevegals. I had the stick-e compound one on the front and I noticed a world of difference with cornering.

Tons of people love the Kendas and they get rave reviews, I have a Nevagal on the front and a Panaracer fire xc pro on the rear. I also like the small block 8 and the larsen tt if you are running over alot of hard packed trails and nothing to rocky. Are you worried about weight? price etc?

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

kendas are definitely the best value for your money. I would stick with the blue grooves or the nevegals. Maxis makes very good products. I like the high rollers that I have been running for the past 2 years. The maxis minions may be the best tire that maxis ever made. I simply chose the high rollers because they roll faster. For your Klein you will probably need to stay with a 2.3 or narrower. Look at go-ride.com

Maybe you should look at upgrading the klein. New bike = new tires! :-)

sent from Samsung Epic 4g

I'm a bit of a tire whore so I've ridden a bunch of 'em. I love Nevegals for Southern Utah and I have a set I throw on when I go there, but being somewhat weight conscious, they are just too heavy for my style of Wasatch Front riding. I rode the Maxxis Crossmark's most of last season and have to say they are my favorite- ever! Fast rolling, lite-weight, grippy and corner well. Right now I'm trying a Continental Mtn. King, but haven't used it enough yet to form an opinion. Been running strictly tubeless for the past couple of years.
    Are we there yet?

I am on my second set of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0009NGJAI

They work great. In the old days I used to run Panaracer smoke on the rear and dart on the front. These are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I'm a bit of a tire whore so I've ridden a bunch of 'em. I love Nevegals for Southern Utah and I have a set I throw on when I go there, but being somewhat weight conscious, they are just too heavy for my style of Wasatch Front riding. I rode the Maxxis Crossmark's most of last season and have to say they are my favorite- ever! Fast rolling, lite-weight, grippy and corner well. Right now I'm trying a Continental Mtn. King, but haven't used it enough yet to form an opinion. Been running strictly tubeless for the past couple of years.
    I have to agree here - LOVE the Nevegals and I might even use them my next set but I run Maxxis Mobsters right now...awesome tire! The Continentals are nearly bullet-proof. my local club rides alot of them.

This reminds me a lot of the hamburger discussion,

(I'm looking for the best hamburger I can buy for under $2.00. I really like the Burger King Whopper and the McDonald's Big Mac but am hearing good things about the Wendy's single also. Can anyone help me determine what the best burger is? I'm kind of a newbie and need help being pointed in the right direction. I think that Big Mac is not grilled, so doesn't it keep that nice beefy, fatty appeal? Also, it comes with its own proprietary sauce, or is it just thousand island dressing? I like the idea that Whopper can be custom built, but I'm not much of DIY kinda guy, so maybe I can get some expertise in that area. I think the Wendy's Single has more of solid build to it, and it seems to come with the widest array of condiments in its stock configuration. Then of course I guess I should consider the quality of the the condiments that going into making these fine pieces of goodness. I mean if you don't use name brand condiments how good can the end result really be. I think that the Heinz vs. Hunt's arguments holds some weight. And what of the lettuce, is it plain vanilla iceburg, or do any of them use a finer quality leaf? Hellman's mayonaise seems to be a front runner, but maybe their is another brand that is capable of producing a better flavor. For my money I think right now the Whopper with its special 99 cents sale is the value leader, but maybe spending twice as much might be worth it for all the extra bells and whisltes you get with the other burgers on the menu. The hot Wheels cars in the value meals or the monopoly piece at certain times of the year during promotions are quite a nice feature. This is all so much to think about that it has become quite overwhelming. Any help would be greatly appeciated.) From Audioholics.com

but I got a pair of the WTB werewolf 2.1 tires from chain love. They are awesome for $40 for the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    This reminds me a lot of the hamburger discussion,

(I'm looking for the best hamburger I can buy for under $2.00. I really like the Burger King Whopper and the McDonald's Big Mac but am hearing good things about the Wendy's single also. Can anyone help me determine what the best burger is? I'm kind of a newbie and need help being pointed in the right direction. I think that Big Mac is not grilled, so doesn't it keep that nice beefy, fatty appeal? Also, it comes with its own proprietary sauce, or is it just thousand island dressing? I like the idea that Whopper can be custom built, but I'm not much of DIY kinda guy, so maybe I can get some expertise in that area. I think the Wendy's Single has more of solid build to it, and it seems to come with the widest array of condiments in its stock configuration. Then of course I guess I should consider the quality of the the condiments that going into making these fine pieces of goodness. I mean if you don't use name brand condiments how good can the end result really be. I think that the Heinz vs. Hunt's arguments holds some weight. And what of the lettuce, is it plain vanilla iceburg, or do any of them use a finer quality leaf? Hellman's mayonaise seems to be a front runner, but maybe their is another brand that is capable of producing a better flavor. For my money I think right now the Whopper with its special 99 cents sale is the value leader, but maybe spending twice as much might be worth it for all the extra bells and whisltes you get with the other burgers on the menu. The hot Wheels cars in the value meals or the monopoly piece at certain times of the year during promotions are quite a nice feature. This is all so much to think about that it has become quite overwhelming. Any help would be greatly appeciated.) From Audioholics.com

but I got a pair of the WTB werewolf 2.1 tires from chain love. They are awesome for $40 for the pair.
    I run a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT on the front it is awesome! It is only as wide as a typical 2.3 but seams to have higher volume. It is light and corners great. It has low tread so it rolls and doesn't feel rough like the Nevegals. They have them in a 2.3. I think you would really like those for your riding style. They are made for cornering in our dry rocky loose terrain (Snowbasin etc). Nevegals are probably better down in Moab. If you get the race ones they are lighter like 750g.
    Still trying to get in riding shape.

I like the look of the new Weirwolf tread pattern. I may need to give it a try. Fairly heavy however.
    Are we there yet?

The 2.1 Werewolf was heavier than the IRS Mythos II I was running, but when I got to the trail for the 1st run on the Shorline on Sat, a runner friiend was just finishing up their run and he said it looked like a really beefy tire. So, it may be good from a runner perspective.

i've tried a couple of different tires and came to like the maxxis advantage a lot, they stick firmly to the ground and i can climb almost every bit of dirt trail. if i can't go up there, my weak legs are to blame and not the missing grip of the tires

I find my WTB Stout 2.3 better then the kenda nevegal i was running. the nevegal is great but the stout loves hooking in loose sharp corners. better traction on loose gravel like trails then the nevegal.

the nevegal gets slick when it is warn down to nothing but my stout is warn down right now and still sticking the corners.

Skeptical when i bought it because of the big gaps in the tread but it's been working great

http://www.pinkbike.com/product/wtb/Stout-Race/
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>