Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water Purifiers: what do you use?

I've used both the Katadyn Hiker Pro and the Katadyn Vario. I love the Vario. Have used it for two years now and never had a miss.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by andykrow View Post
    we've had a couple sweetwaters in the crew and while they seem like they pump twice as fast, they pump less before clogging compared to the mini.
    Did you have the silt stopper on the sweetwater? I know before I added mine it did seem to clog a bit faster. Now with the silt stopper, mine has no clog issues at all.

Last year on a trip in the back country of Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias, 2 people brought the MSR Auto Flow ALL of our group (13) ended up using these instead of what we all brought ourselves. We were filtering glacier runoff VERY SILTY with no problem. At least one ( and possibly both) of the set ups actually had an extra filter to filter out the silt. I was very impressed with the flow, I didn't time it but it was a steady stream out of the tube. I haven't sprung for one yet but it is next on my gear wish list.

I have the Katadyn Guide. I have owned it for about six years, the no longer make it, but I wouldn't trade for the world. All of my friends and my scouts use the Hiker or Hiker Pro. Excellent filter. Anytime we run into silt, etc, we just wrap a clean bandanna around the intake and haven't had an issue yet.

My secret for silt is cheap and fits in the filter bag... 3 coffee filters and a rubber band. Attach around the intake when there is silt. Works like a charm.

Pretty good and helpful facts for me.
    I think, I'll buy the Katadyn Vario for my Salt Creek backpacking trip.
    BTW.
    What's the difference between Hiker and Hiker Pro?
    Here in Germany and on Katadyn's website the Hiker Pro is not listed. I can buy only the Hiker.
    THX for help.

If I remember correctly, the Hiker Pro has more field-serviceable parts.

THX treponema,

How to understand is the term 'field-serviceable parts'?
    Better for outdoor-use?

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    THX treponema,

How to understand is the term 'field-serviceable parts'?
    Better for outdoor-use?
    It is easier to repair or replace parts when outdoors :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Thank you DOSS, for help to understand that term.

Quote Originally Posted by treponema View Post
    My secret for silt is cheap and fits in the filter bag... 3 coffee filters and a rubber band. Attach around the intake when there is silt. Works like a charm.
    Great idea! I'm going to do this! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    What's the difference between Hiker and Hiker Pro?
    THX for help.
    The Hiker pro comes with the quick release attachments.

Also, I read somewhere that the hiker pro comes with a screen filter around the main filter where as the hiker doesn't. You get the screen filter when you buy a replacement filter so it would make your hiker a pro.... Not sure if this is true or not though....

Quote Originally Posted by treponema View Post

sounds good, I will test it on one of my next trips.

THX homerj,
    for this description.
    IMO: I think, maybe the Hiker Pro is designed only for the US-Market.
    But the combination of the Hiker + replacement filter could be a good bargain.

And yes, the coffee filters as pre-filter is an good idea.

For myself I've tried multiple coffee filters and they just don't deal with the really fine silt, in my experience. Maybe there's finer filters out there. Anyway I just got back from Dark, had two miniworks filters and they both worked great. Needed a quick scrub after every 10 liters or so but that's no problem. I will however be picking up a gravity filter for camp sometime soon... mostly because I hate pumping when I'm already all tired out. who's making the best one right now?

Quote Originally Posted by andykrow View Post
    For myself I've tried multiple coffee filters and they just don't deal with the really fine silt, in my experience. Maybe there's finer filters out there. Anyway I just got back from Dark, had two miniworks filters and they both worked great. Needed a quick scrub after every 10 liters or so but that's no problem. I will however be picking up a gravity filter for camp sometime soon... mostly because I hate pumping when I'm already all tired out. who's making the best one right now?
    Just get one of these, I never get clogging with this on my Sweetwater now, has worked like a charm, and adds life to your cartridge:

Name:  msr_siltStopper_&#4.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  7.3 KB