Thread: Firsteel 2.0 for starting your next campfire

Firsteel 2.0 for starting your next campfire

I had a chance to review the Firesteel 2.0 awhile back and it's become a "must have" item I carry with me everytime I go on an extended Jeep trip or hiking/backpacking trip into the backcountry. Check it out here:

http://online.jpfreek.com/2011/04/07...-fire-starter/
    OutdoorX4
    www.outdoorx4.com
    www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
    twitter.com/OutdoorX4

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are these widely available at any sporting goods store? I am a match/lighter guy but I always love a good piece of gear.
    Life is Good

Good question. I know it's available at REI and select outdoor gear stores, as well as online, but not sure if you can find it at Sports Authority, Academy Outdoors, or other more general sporting good stores. Worth checking into though as it's a good product and not that expensive (less than $20 and can be found on Amazon for like $12.99).
    OutdoorX4
    www.outdoorx4.com
    www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
    twitter.com/OutdoorX4

They are effective BUT this requires two hands. I much prefer one handed fire starters. Have to prepare for the worst. So I like this type in a addition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GBqEd2ZcGo
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Sorry Udink, I wont trust my life to a Bic lighter. Just saying.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan View Post
    Sorry Udink, I wont trust my life to a Bic lighter. Just saying.
    Umm why not? weight is almost the same as your one handed starter.. up until it runs out of fuel it has a flame and not just a spark making starting a fire easier and faster and once the fuel is gone you still have spark... I would rather trust my life to a Bic lighter (the same kind that is used to light millions of cigarettes a day) than a one handed fire starter that is used maybe once a week all over the world.. I would have to say that the Bic lighter has a higher chance of working for longer than that one handed fire starter :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Sure, and when you have carried it around in a pack for a few years not needing it you might be surprised to find that it has leaked all of its fuel out. The one handed strikers are reliable, even after years of no use.

Sure, and when you have carried it around in a pack for a few years not needing it you might be surprised to find that it has leaked all of its fuel out. The one handed strikers are reliable, even after years of no use.
    failure to check your gear I think says more about you ;) And even with no fuel you can still get some nice sparks.. with one hand :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Unfortunately I have seen plenty of people who dont check their gear regularly. So recommending they carry gear that is prone to failure is not what I do. And the sparks coming from that bic lighter are barely enough to light a gas, let alone tinder.

I've never had a Bic fail me. But I do take care of my gear. In fact, I carry a lighter in my emergency gear, and I rotate it out once a year...you know, when I change all the batteries and swap out all the medicine.

using the Firesteel 2.0 would give new meaning to "spark a bowl".
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Unfortunately I have seen plenty of people who dont check their gear regularly. So recommending they carry gear that is prone to failure is not what I do. And the sparks coming from that bic lighter are barely enough to light a gas, let alone tinder.
    I recommend people drive to work on occasion but thousands of retards die driving every year, Does that mean that I should stop telling people that work for me to come into work?.. If someone is too dumb to check their gear Darwin will take care of them in a wilderness/ survival setting no matter if they have a bic or a blowtorch :)

and I can start a fire with sparks from a bic.. you should try harder :)

Cabelas in Lehi has this product. About $20 bucks. The earlier version is now sold at a reduced price of about $14 buck if I remember correctly. I will try this product out next week on a father/son outing.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    I can start a fire with sparks from a bic.. you should try harder :)
    Well, I can start a fire with flint and steel or a bow drill. But I still like a nice piece of equipment that I don't really have to worry about. I like the concept of sticking this in my emergency kit and not worrying if it is wet, dry, warm, cold, empty, full....etc. Just sayin...

And I have had lighters fail me in really cold temps and in rain.
    Life is Good