Thread: Birch Hollow - Zion

Birch Hollow - Zion

4/16/2011 on my 50th birthday. A great time in this canyon. It was wet, wet, wet. Water Falls, Ice, mud. New landslides, downed trees. A great big boulder in the middle of the canyon. On the hike out up river in Orderville canyon a number of new mudslides. The trail out was a new mudslide. I got up on the old trail and followed it back to see the 15 foot drop where the entire land mass dropped straight down, trees and all, still in place just 10 to 15 feet lower. What a fun adventure. 3 groups in the canyon that day. One with a guide and the other behind us with some young kids, hope they did ok, it was cold. Lots of snow up on top. The main road had a new slide as well, passable but a bit tricky.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the trip report! Have done Birch 16 times in the last 2 years (simply because our family stays up on property during the summer 1/10 of a mile from it's trail head and the canyon can be done in a few hours) Excited to hear that some changes have been made to the canyon this winter and can't wait to get back in there to check them out. So the 4x4 road up out of Orderville is still passable in a 4x4? How was the dirt portion of the North Fork Rd, still snow packed, muddy?

Thanks!
    Bryan in Las Vegas

Mountain Man
    Interested in the road conditions too. Was planning to take a Subaru Forester up there in mid to late May.

Brief but Awesome trip report. It makes me excited to start the guiding season up there. Maybe I will have to go check it out this weekend, or next week... or the week after... I always loved doing Birch in the spring, just because that 1st rappel is sure to soak you. Thanks for the info.
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

Mountain Man
    Never done Birch before. What does the soaking on the first rap, falls or pool?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    Never done Birch before. What does the soaking on the first rap, falls or pool?
    The first two big raps would be through a small waterfall. Other spots in the canyon include downclimbs with a move or two in the waterflow. Fun!

The canyon does not really have any places that hold water deeper than knee deep. Oh, and the water has a lot of clay in it, so it is mucky, too.

Tom

Mountain Man
    I'm getting a Sterling ATS, based on your review Tom, for such times. Going to use it as my canyon main device, instead of an ATC-XP, for the varied friction on rap, water disconnect, and its ability to ascend with PCDing. Resisted a Pirana because as a bigger guy who also carries the most gear and rope in my pack, the friction wasn't enough.

In general would you rate these falls raps as simple or tricky? 100' of cascading water seems intense to me. I've only done 40' falls, with strong flow, in the San Gabriels and those were challenging.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    I'm getting a Sterling ATS, based on your review Tom, for such times. Going to use it as my canyon main device, instead of an ATC-XP, for the varied friction on rap, water disconnect, and its ability to ascend with PCDing. Resisted a Pirana because as a bigger guy who also carries the most gear and rope in my pack, the friction wasn't enough.

In general would you rate these falls raps as simple or tricky? 100' of cascading water seems intense to me. I've only done 40' falls, with strong flow, in the San Gabriels and those were challenging.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    I think the report is that there was STRONG FLOW in Birch. Which means TWO hoses worth... Everything is relative.

Not pushy. Just cold and a little uncomfortable. Not wet enough for a wetsuit. Both of the first two raps can be set up outside the water flow.

Tom

The road was muddy, no snow, The 4x4 road was passable out of orderville. I am sure the flow is slower now. My son (the billy goat) was able to set the rope around ALL the waterfalls and only got misty. Not so with me and the newbies. The most interesting part is seeing an entire section of mountain drop 10 - 15 feet straight down (the climb out) and the trees still standing as if nothing happened.

Sweet report. That sounds like a great birthday!
    The man thong is wrong.

Just completed Birch last weekend, April 29th. Wet is right. Check out some video on Youtube if you want to get a good idea of Birch with snow melt. I've never seen more than a trickle in Birch and although this was a blast, I'll wait till it goes dry again. It's a lot more fun. The water was not a problem, the cold was a killer. Exiting into the sun was nothing short of glorious.

Search google for "birch canyon wet" or by my youtube nick "brisimple"

Bri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZrK0U_aq_4

Wow - looks like fun! "You show off!"
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

"Action!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_86EDJ36JE

I think I would have just gone straight down.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Bogley BigShot
    Happy 50th! Nice trip report. Love Birch!

Straight down is a no fun. I took a bunch of 'newbies' on this one so we had to show them a good time. 'They' were going straight down. I think one of them was kissing the rock the whole time. The higher the rappel, the "straighter" I go, I assure you. Nothing like a good fear of falling.

I gave up on trying to get Mystery Canyon anymore. I'm not willing to get up at 4am the day before just to find out I'm 6th in line for the same canyon. Birch is always my backup. We did a midnight run through Birch in November and had a blast. Those of you near Springdale are worshipped by those afar. Enjoy it as I'm sure you do because I know I'm jealous.

Bri.

Hey, Spry, Behunin and Pine Creek are doable now . Enjoy! Or maybe even Frog Hollow!
    So who is gonna be first to do Heaps.......?

shiver...