Thread: Mojave Preserve - Caruthers canyon

Mojave Preserve - Caruthers canyon

A couple of us had planned on doing Buckskin but with all the hoopla surrounding the govt shutdown and the recent rain we bailed. We decided to do an overnighter at a spot we'd been eyeballing for awhile.

It's Caruther Canyon out in the New York Mtns in the Mojave Preserve. Pretty rugged but just a beautiful spot in the middle of the desert with a running stream and lots of old gold and copper mines to explore.

We got there early Friday afternoon and set up camp. A couple of us had been there before on dirt bikes but not camping. We have a guy that comes who is a great cook. He did a wonderful bean dinner (though I advised him of the consequences of doing this) followed with popcorn. We were all spread out but all night you could still hear 4 guys farting. Even though it was cold (37 degrees) you had to sleep with your bag open to let out the, um, fouled air.

In the morning we had pancakes, eggs, and sausage. Yum. then we hiked up to one of the mines. The rocks are awesome there and it very scenic. We went into two of the mine shafts. they go in about 100 yards with various elbows and such before cave-ins. Their are some cool sluiceways coming down from up high and lots of big old timbers.

I don't consider myself a rock hounf but we spent another hour or so just sifting through the tailings and around the mine. Lot's of copper and fools gold. Fun.

When we got back we broke camp and ate brats and 1:1:1's, which are bisquits baked in whipping cream and brown sugar. Tasty. Then we drove home. A good time was had by all.

Attached Images Attached Images                         
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

looks like lots of fun. i love the new york's, pretty rugged, lots of scrambling fun on the ridges and to gain the highpoint.

i think i gained a few pounds just reading your menu.
    signature