Thread: TR: Quandary Canyon (with lots of photos)

TR: Quandary Canyon (with lots of photos)

Introduction

Justin Kuhn (my co-worker) and my eight year old son Kessler joined me for a technical adventure descending Quandary Canyon and ascending Ramp Canyon.

Quandary Canyon is an isolated canyon in the southern portion of a remote region in Utah known as the San Rafael Swell. The San Rafael Swell is a spectacular jumble of slot canyons, canyons, cliffs, rock towers and erosion features and is always an exciting place to visit.

This route was chosen for several reasons:

1. These canyons are the last canyons cutting through the San Rafael Reef that I have not descended and/or ascended (there are numerous minor drainages cutting into the face of the Reef that I have not visited, but these are the last ones that cut through the Reef).

2. It sounded like a fairly straight forward, but still exciting adventure for my son and for Justin.

3. The canyons aren
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ramp Canyon

There were two main route possibilities to complete the loop. The standard route heads west and intersects the Grand Canyon of the Muddy at which point it follows the creek up through the canyon to the Hidden Splendor Mine and then it is a road walk of a few miles back to the vehicle. A second route heads east along the base of the Reef and climbs up Ramp Canyon to the vehicle. This is the shortest way back, but it is more challenging. This was the route chosen, mostly because I hadn’t done it yet and wanted to.

Hiking along the San Rafael Reef between Quandary and Ramp Canyons.

Somehow we ended up leaving our topo map behind, so at one place I went on ahead to scout out the route to Ramp Canyon. After exploring around for 40 minutes I came back to Justin and Kessler and told them that I found the route. I also showed them a cave I found while exploring around.

Cave we found while exploring off route.

Tilted rock forms a ramp in Ramp Canyon.

After reaching the mouth of Ramp Canyon, we headed up. There were several obstacles, all of which were fairly challenging, but not that serious.

Kessler climbing an obstacle in Ramp Canyon.

Kessler and I climbing another obstacle in Ramp Canyon.

Near the head of the canyon we reached a huge chockstone which is the crux of the route. It sure looked a lot more intimidating than I had expected. Various sources rate the climb around the giant chockstone as 5.1, 5.4 or 5.6. The first person would have to climb it without a belay and belay the others up. I volunteered to be the one to do it. Kessler also climbed up one route to check it out (not reaching the top of the chockstone), but I made him come back down so I could climb first and rope him up.

Kessler scouts out routes around a chockstone in Ramp Canyon. I made him come down because I thought his route didn't look good and that he should be roped.

I made the climb (as mentioned, it was scarier than expected) and made a little jump at the end. I set up the belay and Kessler was attached to the rope for the climb. I was crossing my fingers that he would remain cool and collected about it and Kessler basically runs up the pitch as fast as I could belay him. He kind of shocked Justin and I. You could say that he sandbagged us pretty good.

After Kessler climbed the pitch, I hauled up the packs and Justin climbed the pitch.

Justin Kuhn climbing the Ramp in Ramp Canyon.

After climbing the crux pitch, we knew that we were mostly home free. The remainder of the canyon had some nice scrambles and some nice narrows before opening up. After the canyon opened, up it was an easy walk along a jeep trail back to the vehicle.

It was a grand adventure and we were all tired as we headed back to Green River.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Excellent photos! Kessler is getting big. I have been following the adventures of you and your adventurous family for a while now. I remember seeing photos of him peak bagging when he was a wee little tike. Great job.
    Life is Good

I've been in that cave you found before. It's pretty cool. I tried to find it again my second time in the area, with no luck.

Great report! Love the detail and all the pics. Kessler has more skills than me already
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Kessler has more skills that me already
    Uh yeah, but that's not hard to do. Great report. That last climb doesnt look 5.4 to me.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I've been in that cave you found before.
    Does it go very far, or does it pinch out early? We didn't have time to explore it.

That last climb doesnt look 5.4 to me.
    Tom rates it 5.6; Ryan rates it 5.2 to 5.5.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell/quandary.htm

http://www.ajroadtrips.com/go/trips/...ll/cisternramp

I think 5.4-5.5 might be about right and both ratings are in the ballpark. It's not too hard, but it's a bit scary unroped.