Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A relaxing day in Bluejohn Canyon

A relaxing day in Bluejohn Canyon

I wanted to take my older brothers on a canyoneering trip, but since I have little/no experience setting up anchors it had to be a canyon which did not require any rappelling. So naturally my options were limited. Now I'm not going to lie and say that Aron Ralston's story did not play a part in me being interested in Bluejohn canyon, but it really was one of my only options because the west fork and lower slot (up to the big drop) are some of the only canyons which do not require any rappelling. Navigation to the west fork was easy. After following the drainage down for a mile or so we arrived at the drop that some people decide to rappel. It took approximately 30 seconds to reach the bottom of the canyon via a very easy route on the right side (down canyon). Name:  DSCN0451..jpg
Views: 4002
Size:  99.3 KBName:  DSCN0452..jpg
Views: 3852
Size:  75.5 KB I'm pretty sure this route would be easy to take moving up-canyon too. The west fork is very cool, but I have to admit it was a little disappointing. I was hoping for a little more slot actionName:  DSCN0453..jpg
Views: 7469
Size:  140.6 KB.Name:  DSCN0456..jpg
Views: 3720
Size:  52.7 KB From the confluence with the main fork it took about 45 minutes to reach the entrance to the lower slot. I knew the lower slot was quite short, but I just hoped it would be worth the distance traveled to get to it. We were not disappointed. Lower Bluejohn was absolutely amazing. The slot was never very difficult but still offered fun downclimbs and obstacle avoidance (mainly the car-sized chockstones)Name:  DSCN0467..jpg
Views: 3697
Size:  79.8 KBName:  DSCN0471..jpg
Views: 3643
Size:  66.0 KB.Attachment 43494Name:  DSCN0487..jpg
Views: 3534
Size:  49.8 KBName:  DSCN0478..jpg
Views: 3504
Size:  53.5 KBName:  DSCN0486..jpg
Views: 3417
Size:  64.6 KBAttachment 43498Name:  DSCN0485..jpg
Views: 3437
Size:  54.4 KB]Name:  DSCN0517..jpg
Views: 36768
Size:  117.1 KB Below the accident site the canyon is very beautiful as it gets lower and darker. We were pleasantly surprised to find the canyon completely dry. Arriving at the big drop was no disappointment either, the scenery was breathtaking. After spending a few minutes enjoying the view we made our way back up to the entrance of the slot, which presented no problems. Unfortunately a slight navigational error on my part sent us following the rim of the main fork instead of the west fork, which added an extra hour to the trip back to our car. Complete with the accidental detour the entire trip took about 5 hours to complete. When I have more experience I hope to return and try the main fork.Name:  DSCN0496..jpg
Views: 3506
Size:  43.4 KBName:  DSCN0498..jpg
Views: 3503
Size:  77.1 KBName:  DSCN0503..jpg
Views: 3600
Size:  58.9 KBName:  DSCN0500..jpg
Views: 3541
Size:  76.1 KBName:  DSCN0504..jpg
Views: 3486
Size:  53.8 KBName:  DSCN0505..jpg
Views: 3468
Size:  73.7 KBName:  DSCN0506..jpg
Views: 3527
Size:  49.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice photos!

I am warning you that the helmet police will be along shortly. I would suggest that you simply say that a large rock broke them all and they were rendered useless, or just take your lumps. . . . . I also like taking kids without shirts on through slot canyons. We play a little game called "guess the number of raspberries". Winner gets the bandaids. Always entertaining.
    Life is Good

Nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Nice photos!

I am warning you that the helmet police will be along shortly. I would suggest that you simply say that a large rock broke them all and they were rendered useless, or just take your lumps. . . . . I also like taking kids without shirts on through slot canyons. We play a little game called "guess the number of raspberries". Winner gets the bandaids. Always entertaining.
    Very nice photos! Middle Blue John really is sweet; too bad it's so short.

Last time I checked with the Helmet Commissar, non technical slots are OK without.

Nat

One suggestion on shooting pictures in slots.... turn the camera 90 degrees and take the picture in portrait. It makes the the slots look deeper and narrower. I think you will like the results. Other than that, nice pics.

i like blue john but its hard on my stuff. and i wll have to try the 90 degrees this weekend to see how much better it works

Awesome, this is exactly what I was hoping to find regarding BJC West Fork Route...thanks for posting it!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Very nice photos! Middle Blue John really is sweet; too bad it's so short.

Last time I checked with the Helmet Commissar, non technical slots are OK without.

Nat
    Da, Comrade Smale. Das Commissat has given a pass for non-technical canyons, but suggests they might be a good investment for anyone getting into canyoneering not named Scott Patterson.

Glad to help. Just exercise judgement before descending into the west fork; if you don't think you can climb back up you can always use the main exit

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchghost View Post
    Glad to help. Just exercise judgement before descending into the west fork; if you don't think you can climb back up you can always use the main exit
    What do you mean by that? You mean UP the Main Fork? Seems unlikely that someone that struggles with the West Fork would find the Main Fork easier.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    What do you mean by that? You mean UP the Main Fork? Seems unlikely that someone that struggles with the West Fork would find the Main Fork easier.

Tom
    I think he just meant you can always use the Main EXIT not the Main Canyon.

Tom, my beta lists the Main EXIT as the section 1/4 mile above where the West Fork enters (1 mile below where Little Bluejohn enters). At that point you can easily hike in or out of Bluejohn Canyon with no scrambling required, just some simple route finding and navigation. That is by far the easiest way in or out of the Bluejohn system and would be my recomendation for "hikers".

Tom
    Yeah, the main exit is different from the main fork. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchghost View Post
    Yeah, the main exit is different from the main fork. Sorry for the misunderstanding
    Thanks. That makes more sense.

T

Nice TR.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

wow definitely doing this hike next. How long of a drive is it from Cedar City UT? Any chance there is that cool swimming hole like in the movie ;)

Quote Originally Posted by derekholmes View Post
    wow definitely doing this hike next. How long of a drive is it from Cedar City UT? Any chance there is that cool swimming hole like in the movie ;)
    My guess would be 5-6 hours to the trailhead from Cedar City. There will definitely be water, but it will be about half a foot deep and smell like crap

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    ^^^ look at that flier compared to the original. I wonder is someone stole the flier for a souvenir.

That is freaking awesome