Thread: Fat Man's as an overnight

Fat Man's as an overnight

I'm thinking about doing an overnight trip through Fat Man's probably starting Monday after the June Bogley Fest. I'm worried about the heat though. I think most folks wisely avoid Fat Man's past about May. But, if we started early I was thinking we could get down into the (hopefully) cooler narrows sections. Then I was thinking of camping somewhere in Parunweep. We'd have lots of time to explore up and down canyon; take photos; dip in the river. Then, at the crack of dawn we hump our way up and out hopefully before it gets too hot.

Are there suitable places to camp in Parunweep? Am I just out-of-season for Fat Man's in June and going to have some real "misery"?

The other option is Right Fork as a 3-day trip. But, I'm a little worried that it might be a little more rugged in there than Robin will enjoy, especially if it comes after a weekend of long hikes and canyons.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've done Fat Man's in June and July but timed the hike out so I would reach the TH when it was dark, the heat was not a problem as my hiking was in the evening. Not sure if I'd want to do it as an overnighter... humping extra gear back out of Pweap would suck and not a lot of great campsites near the exit....

I've done it in June. It'll be hot but not that bad. We soaked in the river, till we were completely wet and then hiked out like at 6. There are not a lot of spots down in the canyon, but I can think of a couple that would be nice just on top of the rim after the steep stuff.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Mountain Man
    I did FM in May and July of last year. July was hot and the day was quite long; too much so. The slog out really took it out of me. Upon joining Pweap, it is possible to find sandy flats for overnighting. The best would actually be at the exit/plaque. Quite a large area, albeit brushy. But taking overnight gear through FM? Certainly doable as it's not the skinniest slot around, but what a drag. The climb out with a full pack would be interesting. Would be nice to pull the pack up, but you'll have plenty of rope for things like that.

You could consider doing just the lower half of FM. I've never read about anyone doing so, but I did the upper in May, with one in my party suffering a torn ligament on a slip. We bailed at the 1/2 point and reached a ridge, with a chopper rescue for her in the morning after staying overnight. In July I went back with one other and we did the lower only, climbing in at the 1/2 point. The 1/2 point we exited/entered is at N37 11.418 W112 51.508, WGS84. It's actually an easy E/E, hiking/scrambling in/out. If you need more info post here so I can double check the coords.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll let y'all know what I decide...
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

we went thru the barracks over 3 days a couple or more years back in june (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?26336-zion) and had a nice campsite right by teh exit up if i remember correctly. a little cramped for 3 people (again, if i remember correctly). i am sure sand banks can change in canyon year to year tho. we thoroughly enjoyed being there as the sun set and the sound of water all night, and even middle of the day was totally nice because high walls + water everywhere = nice n cool. i'd say if your only concern is doing fat mans, skip the bivy. but if you want a richer, more varied experience, do it. its a beautiful place worth the time
    signature

Cool! Thanks for the link. Great photos, BTW. Yeah I am thinking about making it a little bit more of a backcountry exploration. But I still have to sync up with other folks to see what makes sense for all. It does look like a nice place to spend a night!

If I were doing the complete Barrack's I'd reverse the normal route and come down Fat Man's (or Fat Mans exit) and hike up the river to Mount Carmal Junction. I've hiked up the river in July and its the same going up or coming down. That route would also get you Fat Man's and eliminate the hell-hike over Checkerboard Mesa. You could also exit up Mineral Gulch or Poverty Wash.