Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Search on for Roy woman, Oregon man missing in Zion National Park

Thats great that all were found alive and in good shape! I was beginning to wonder a bit yesterday when we had covered a lot of ground, and still no hikers! We did a Russell Gulch into the Left Fork and even the water was flowing pretty strong in there! I'd certainly give The Subway some time to mellow out a bit before heading down. Better safe than sorry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is so great that they found them! I saw a clip on the news last night that showed an interview with a ranger. He was standing in a parking lot with a bunch of cars, and the impression that I got from him was that they were concerned for more than just those 2. Pretty good success story!

Wow, I thought for certain they'd just been swept downstream past the exit or something, and I didn't want to post any negative thoughts. This is great news.

Good story ending! I'm still shocked that another party didn't come through and rescue them in 2-3 days since that place is always packed and hard to get permits for. There is 25 reserved and 25 walk ins right? 50 people per day!

And yeah, in high water it's better to bypass the bowling ball section by walking on the south ledge (left going downcanyon) . It's very slippery though, covered with slimy green moss. But who knows what level that boulder is wedged at and it will check you good and maybe pin you. But that is really good advice if the water is high.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I've been using the North Fork stream flow data since 2005 and it seems to be pretty consistent with the flow in The Subway. Ryan and I have done the Subway the first week in May every year since 2005 when water levels were almost 2000 CFS in the North Fork, today they are about 700 CFS which is a bit more than last year but nothing compared to 2005. Anyone know of a better way to judge the stream flow for The Subway? Any pics taken this week would be extremely helpful.

unfortunately.... whats really going to happen is the NPS will stop handing out Subway permits when water flow is above the rating of garden hose.

My other concern is 9 hikers? and not one started the adventure with a check-in plan in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    My other concern is 9 hikers? and not one started the adventure with a check-in plan in place?
    Hey, Haven't you read Aaron's Book. Real Canyoneers don't tell people where they are going or when they'll be back. It's not an adventure unless you're unprepared.

unfortunately.... whats really going to happen is the NPS will stop handing out Subway permits when water flow is above the rating of garden hose.
    I would agree with the NPS denying permits to groups who are not qualified or prepared to safely descend a canyon, especially during these conditions. I have no doubt that Ryan, Myself, and lots of people on this forum wouldn't have a problem navigating The Subway in the current conditions. Keyhole falls is extremely intimidating in these conditions but not really that difficult to pass if you know how. Last year we lowered Ryan through they keyhole out of the path of the flow and pretty much avoided the falls all together.

Here are a couple pics taken last season with the stream flow in North Fork very close to where it is today. I have a pole in my hand because I broke my leg a couple miles up canyon :).

Name:  4596418115_30965a30&.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  70.4 KBName:  4596422767_c93d27ba.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  63.5 KB

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-in-the-spring) is our original trip report from last year with some tips on descending in high water situations
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    I would agree with the NPS denying permits to groups who are not qualified or prepared to safely descend a canyon, especially during these conditions.
    And I have a BIG problem with this... exactly who gets to decide if you are properly qualified and prepared?

This reminds me of a funny story... about 15 years ago I was climbing Grand Teton with some friends. High on the mountain we see this noob who is wearing running shoes, shorts and a tee shirt, it was obvious from observation the guy had no business being on the mountain.... So I jumped on my high horse and galloped over to tell this fool he had no business being on the mountain. I was wearing all the latest gear and looking like I just stepped off the pages of Rock and Ice Magazine.... anyhoo.... As I approached the obvious unprepared noob he turned around and said "hi", and it was at that moment I recognized Alex Lowe.

I'm thinking there is a moral to that story somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryebrye View Post
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-in-the-spring) is our original trip report from last year with some tips on descending in high water situations
    !0 minutes into the hike you will get your shoes wet (stream crossing). If you are doing the standard Subway route you WILL swim at the bottom of the descent ramp into Russell Gulch. The waterfall coming into the pool at the bottom of the descent ramp is flowing about 10 times the cfs as shown in your picture. I guess I'd just say that The Left Fork currently is SUBSTANTIALLY stronger flow than you experienced last May?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    !0 minutes into the hike you will get your shoes wet (stream crossing). If you are doing the standard Subway route you WILL swim at the bottom of the descent ramp into Russell Gulch. The waterfall coming into the pool at the bottom of the descent ramp is flowing about 10 times the cfs as shown in your picture. I guess I'd just say that The Left Fork currently is SUBSTANTIALLY stronger flow than you experienced last May?
    Thanks Bo for the information. I really hope some pics can surface of this (or their adventure).

Btw, KSL said that they were flown out by helicopter from inside the canyon. And then on KUTV, said they were able just to hike out when the appropriate gear was lowered to them. I guess once the SAR report is published we'll know for sure which...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks Bo. Last May I believe the water was about waist deep in that section and in 2005 we had to swim and were floating through most of the canyon. Here's a pic from our 2005 trip. How does that compare?

Name:  SubwayEntryWaterf.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  94.6 KB

And I have a BIG problem with this... exactly who gets to decide if you are properly qualified and prepared?

This reminds me of a funny story... about 15 years ago I was climbing Grand Teton with some friends. High on the mountain we see this noob who is wearing running shoes, shorts and a tee shirt, it was obvious from observation the guy had no business being on the mountain.... So I jumped on my high horse and galloped over to tell this fool he had no business being on the mountain. I was wearing all the latest gear and looking like I just stepped off the pages of Rock and Ice Magazine.... anyhoo.... As I approached the obvious unprepared noob he turned around and said "hi", and it was at that moment I recognized Alex Lowe.

I'm thinking there is a moral to that story somewhere....
    Is the moral anything like my experience? I bought some Air Jordans and I still can't dunk. Stupid shoes. But I looked real good.

I agree. I don't want the NPS judging me worthy or not to do canyons. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is where it is at. I was teaching knots to young men last night and the comment was asked "why are we all learning the knots"? My reply -- who is responsible for you. One kid said "You?" I replied. "Ahhh, No. It would be you." I don't want the Park babysitting me.
    Life is Good

Blog Entries
    So when they went in, the water depth gauge was about 2 1/2 feet. In one day, it jumped another foot to 3 1/2 feet. And today it's over 4 feet.

And just over 1 week - it's spanned from 500cfs to over a 1000cfs. That's a lot of snow melting!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I bought some Air Jordans and I still can't dunk. Stupid shoes. But I looked real good.

I was going more for the "You can't judge a book by it's cover" theme... but maybe I was wrong... because with or without the Air Jordans I just can't picture you above the rim windmilling a hammer dunk home.

Maybe you should buy yourself a pair of "Jimmers". I can at least picture that.

You're right, they shouldn't, but like you said it's situations like this that will ultimately lead to the canyon being closed until the NPS determines that it's safe and nobody wants that.

So...where were they when they were spotted? Out of the canyon on the flats? Had they climbed up and out of the canyon?

Super glad that everyone's ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    So in other words... It's in prime conditions! :)

I really hope they don't close the Subway. They should just use their standard nanny tactics at the backcountry desk to try to scare anyone out of doing it.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Stranded hikers reach safety with help from Air Force

April 20th, 2011 @ 4:26pm
    By ksl.com

See how to embed KSL Videos in your posts

VIRGIN, Washington County — Three stranded hikers in Zion National Park made their way to safety Tuesday with some help from other canyoneering park visitors.

Photo album: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=460&sid=15222634&pid=0

Eleven people hiking down the slot canyon known as The Subway reached the Left Fork trailhead by 11 p.m. Tuesday, officials. They had no injuries and were "just a little tired," Zion spokesman David Eaker said.

Personnel in two Blackhawk helicopters from Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada spotted the group not far from the trailhead with the help of night- vision equipment. Two airmen were lowered down with supplies to assist the group in hiking out, Eaker said.

Officials first started a search Sunday for a couple with a permit for a one-day trip whose car was found at a trailhead. A Salt Lake City man who headed out Monday afternoon was also reported missing after he told his wife to alert park officials if she didn't hear from him by 2 a.m.

That man, David Balkcom, 37, had spent Monday night stuck on a ledge in a thunderstorm after trying to rappel down a waterfall, according to BYU student Cliff Chandler, who was part of a group of six hikers that had started the hike Tuesday morning and found Balkcom around noon. Chandler said they reached Balkcom from above, pulled him to safety and brought him with them.

A short time later, the group met the couple, Evgenia Buzulukova, 25, of Roy, and Jonathon Wilson, 28, of Portland, Ore., who Chandler said had built a fire but were stuck in the canyon, out of food and exhausted. With the help of an experienced canyon guide, the group set up rope lines to assist the three less-experienced hikers down the canyon.

"The water was flowing very high," Eaker said. "It was very tough going yesterday."

A backcountry permit is required for the nine-mile hike, which starts at the top of the canyon along the Wildcat Canyon trail. Eaker said park officials informed each group of the poor conditions, but they turned out to be even worse.

"We can't judge people on what experience they have. We told them the conditions were not good and gave them all kinds of information (on how to be safe)," he said. "They have to make the final call."
    Chandler said his group was doing the hike just for fun but had been told hikers had gone missing in the area.

"We knew the conditions were going to be kind of extreme, but we were prepared for that," he said. "We were going to keep our eyes out for (the missing hikers). We did not necessarily expect to find them."

Eaker said water levels in The Subway were as high as park officials had ever seen them due to snowmelt. The cold water has been rising steadily in a "continuous high flow," unlike the flash floods often seen in the area after summer thunderstorms, he said.

Park officials have closed The Subway temporarily and are evaluating their rescue efforts of the last few days. They continued to issue permits and several groups completed the entire trip, with difficulty but successfully, while the couple hunkered down on ledges, well above the fast-moving water and out of sight. That led officials to believe the couple was no longer in The Subway.

The search was ramped up Tuesday, with five ground teams, two dog teams and the helicopters. Chandler said his group saw the helicopters several times and waved, but the crews apparently did not see the hikers.

Supervisory ranger Ray O'Neil stressed that without park officials checking on the car, they would not have known the couple was missing. Conditions in slot canyons change rapidly, he said, and many do not have gauges to measure how fast the water is flowing.

"As things stand, it's all a guess," he said. "We just don't know the specifics."

O'Neil urged park visitors to take responsibility for their own safety.

"When you go into wilderness, when you go into backcountry, you are saying that you want to accept nature on its own terms," he said. "You need to be ready for the conditions you're going to encounter."

Story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15222634

Story written with contributions from Jennifer Stagg and Paul Koepp.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Stranded hikers reach safety with help from Air Force
    Not to be-little the help of anyone involved, but it appears that "the hikers" were rescued by a group of competent and well prepared technical canyoneers.

Those guys should get a pat on the back.