Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Search on for Roy woman, Oregon man missing in Zion National Park

Wait, is Heyduke one of the three nephites?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Good Job on the rescue guys!~

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I love the Canyonman edit.
    I'm going to have to agree with Iceaxe on this one. That Canyonman edit is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    On another note about Canyonman... here are some pictures from a few years back before he grew that gnarly beard. He even used to frequent bogley as @rockgremlin

I am REALLY tired of seeing these pictures in every thread!

Enough is enough. If you feel compelled to post them everything YOU THINK they need to be seen yet again - please post a link to the pictures so the rest of us can skip them.

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    I am REALLY tired of seeing these pictures in every thread!

Enough is enough. If you feel compelled to post them everything YOU THINK they need to be seen yet again - please post a link to the pictures so the rest of us can skip them.

Dually noted. My post was edited.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Dually noted. My post was edited.
    Thank you.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I gotta say, the crazy Freezefest-er in me really wants to now do the Subway under these conditions.... really. Next year???
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I gotta say, the crazy Freezefest-er in me really wants to now do the Subway under these conditions.... really. Next year???
    It was actually awesome. You had to be careful about getting sucked back in to waterfalls and drowning, but otherwise it was amazing! If the whole rescue situation hadn't shown up my group probably would have made it out by about 4:00 or so.

Best thread on Bogley for a long time. A++ would read again...

I love the story. I think we need shirts. Mabey a "I want to have canyonman's babies." I would wear that shirt!

I also think ghawk and his team are bad a$$ as well. Sweet job ghawk(and team) and canyonman. I want to be like you guys when I grow up.
    The man thong is wrong.

Good Luck, The NPS will probably be closing the Subway every time there's little more than a tickle of water flowing.

Next year might not be good enough since the high water conditions are hit-or-miss. Except for this year (because it's now closed... arghh) I've done it in spring runoff every year since 2005. Last year was the first year that we saw a decent amount of flow since 2005. There is always flowing water and it's always cold, but it's not always at waterslide levels. It's gotten busier every year also, so you have to plan ahead now - which kind of sucks because it's hard to tell in advance when the peak conditions will be. In 2005 the water at keyhole falls was up high enough that it would have most likely prevented canyonman / Charlie Sheen from being able to stand there to rig a zipline without being sucked down the waterfall - but if your group is all strong enough you can all go up and drop through the arch.

The snowmelt also hits at different times of the year too... Combining that with the fact that its so busy now it's hard to know when to reserve your permit for so you might have to opt to go for a walk on when the conditions are prime. The only downside with that is that the rangers tend to give you an extra-helping of nannying when the conditions are good because in so-so years the water is high enough to freak people out but not high enough to prevent them from walking back out once they start so I when they say "People have tried this but had to turn back around and come out" my response is "That's too bad, I was expecting and am prepared to deal with enough water to make walking back impossible."

Some years the first weekend of May there is still snow floating in the water and plenty of snow up on the high places you can see - other years it's prime. This year it seems that the runoff hit earlier.

I highly recommend it - although like was said you have to be careful to avoid the hydraulics. It is a blast. If the NPS starts to restrict it in the spring it would be highly unfortunate.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

For those interested in this type of stuff here is the NPS morning report on the incident.

Zion National Park (UT)
    Nine Hikers Rescued From Backcountry

On Sunday, April 17th, rangers received several calls regarding overdue parties who were on the Subway Route. All were located by 2 a.m. the following morning. While investigating the reports, though, ranger Ray O'Neil noted that one vehicle was still parked at the Left Fork trailhead with a day permit for April 16th. Backcountry permit checks revealed that a party of two had planned to hike the Subway Route via the Russell Gulch technical entrance and that they had not been reported overdue. Initial investigations revealed they were not due to return to work until Tuesday. The Subway Route and all technical access routes had extremely high water flows over the weekend due to the high country snow melt, and several parties travelling top down were experiencing difficulties. A hasty search was accordingly begun that afternoon. The search continued into Monday, with air support and additional SAR personnel joining in. By Tuesday, a full ICS operation had been established that included 25 NPS ground searchers, air support and two dog teams. During this time, the Subway Route remained open to visitors under the required permit system. Every exiting party was interviewed, but none reported seeing the two missing hikers. A separate report of a single overdue hiker was also received during this time. A request was put into the military for an infrared flight over the Russell Gulch and Subway area on Tuesday evening, and two helicopters were dispatched from Nellis AFB. Before they could arrive, a party exiting the Subway Route received a 911 call, with the caller reporting that a group of nine hikers remained in the canyon due to difficulties in getting through the technical section of the route. The group included all three of the missing hikers. The helicopters were redirected to the Subway Route, where they employed infrared and night vision equipment to locate the group. Two parajumpers descended to them to determine their condition and traveled with them to the trailhead. All missing persons were accounted for, and none required medical attention. They said they'd had serious trouble getting through the water and the narrowest sections of the canyon. The Subway Route has been temporarily closed for safety reasons until further notice. [Submitted by Cindy J. Purcell, Chief Ranger]

This is funny. The whole Canyonman thing has me reminiscing about one of my favorite cartoons ever....

Captain Caveman!!!!!!

Name:  captain_caveman..jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  84.3 KB

And a video of Captain Caveman!!!!! This really is Canyonman!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JmBl...eature=related

Stan Ridgway could write a follow-up (sequel) to Camouflage. That would be awesome!

Heyduke is the one from the Monkey Wrench Gang nor sure if he was one of the three or not.....

Remember this? Bumping it up for Throwback Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Thanks for the bump.
    X2

Throwback Thursday is now my second favorite day, right behind fine ass Friday.... or at least it would be if Bogley actually had a fine ass Friday.

:-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

22. Likes denaliguide liked this post