Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Search on for Roy woman, Oregon man missing in Zion National Park

Search on for Roy woman, Oregon man missing in Zion National Park

KSL.com

VIRGIN, Washington County

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Jenny aka Evgenia is a co-worker of ours. We've been trying frantically to reach her family (in Russia) to apprise them of her status. Park rangers broke into the car and discovered wallets and cell phones still in the vehicle. No other information on whereabouts is known. Any help/guidance appreciated.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

I hope they find them soon and safe.
    Life is Good

I'm sure there have been multiple other groups through there since Sat, so I doubt an accident. I also can't foresee an accident that would disable both of them simultaneously. Maybe they just missed the exit scramble out? But I still don't think that would get them lost for two days. The good news though is it hasn't been very cold down here, so if they are lost the chances are good IMO. Lots of fresh water to drink and in a pinch you could eat the massive amounts of frogs, tadpoles, and even grasshoppers if they got past the subway section. I have also seen lots of berry bushes but they aren't fruiting this time a year I think.. Anyways crappy story, hope they find them alive and well soon.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

There's a couple of different little entrances that would be easy to stumble into. And, if they were way off route, its a big complicated area with plenty of hidey holes.

Best wishes to a happy outcome. Day 4 now? Hmmm.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I don't think there is anything to add that would aid the SAR, Those guys are good and know the area like no other.

I would guess the water is flowing quite hard in there.

I did Subway top-down about this time last year, and was surprised by the water flow. Based on the combined experience level of our group (low), in hindsight I would have probably reconsidered doing it that time of year based on the runoff. Bowling ball area was extremely fast moving and the volume and force of water spilling into it made the wet exit a bit exciting.

Hoping for the best outcome here.

Any word Brute? Perhaps Bo Beck is in there looking for them.

They have updated the story with more info: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15212891

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    They found them alive......
    Waiting above the raging water is what they said.

They have been found! They are huddled with 9 other hikers in an area where they couldn't get out...stranded by the high water. The are taking the two to the hospital for checks since they have been out the longest.

Great news!!

Excellent news.

But this begs the question...how did this happen. So 11 people total? Oh my. And not a single one prepared or who knew what to do? Hmmmm. I will wait for details before drawing any conclusions.
    Life is Good

Stay outta there! Bloody hell man.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    So glad to hear they are safe!
    Chere'

My guess is that they are holed up on a ledge just upcanyon from keyhole falls.

Keyhole falls is THE crux in high water and without an intimate knowledge of the drop there it looks impassable.

I find it hard to believe that out of 11 people, there aren't 2 with enough climbing experience to retreat upcanyom and get ahold of search and rescue.

These high water subway epics are very interesting to me because I've been stuck there before (2005) and we completed a dicey upcanyon retreat successfully - but it did have some major exposure.

I've also done it in high water since then (I posted a trip report with details on dealing with high water.)

I'm glad they are all safe. I can't wait to hear the details.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Quote Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
    I did Subway top-down about this time last year, and was surprised by the water flow. Based on the combined experience level of our group (low), in hindsight I would have probably reconsidered doing it that time of year based on the runoff. Bowling ball area was extremely fast moving and the volume and force of water spilling into it made the wet exit a bit exciting
    For future reference - In high water the bowling ball section can be - and definitely should be - avoided by going up and around. The water in that section can get high enough to basically make it into a tube of death.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Glad everyone is safe.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Good to hear.