Thread: Most Direct route to Moonshine and Colonnade Arch From LWH/GVSP

Most Direct route to Moonshine and Colonnade Arch From LWH/GVSP

Been a long time since I've posted on here. I'm way behind on trip reports and the like. But I'm heading to the swell this week with the family. Could anyone lend me a hand to let me know what you feel the best/most direct route would be from the Wild Horse road area out to the Moonshine/Colonnade Arch area? I'd like to avoid going back up to 70 then back down south if possible. Just trying to cut down on travel. Is there a decent road from 24 that's quicker?

We'll be doing ding/dang, LWH, Wildhorse window, etc. I just thought it would be great to get out to the less populated area but I haven't been out there. I have good directions to moonshine but not sure what the best way would be from camp. We're thinking about spending the day out there. See if we can catch Chaffin going off, etc.

We'll have a Jeep Cherokee that's used to getting beaten up on dirt roads so that's not big deal.

As always, thanks for your help!
    Last edited by millsclimber; 04-18-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: whoops - spelling
    -- Austin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Personally, I wouldn't combine the two trips. It's a long, boring dirt road from highway 24 out to Keg Knoll, Moonshine, etc. The road you need to take is about 100 yards south of the turnoff to Goblin Valley on Highway 24 on the east side of the road. It's the one that has signs for The Maze, Hans Flat, Dollhouse, etc. But after many miles, instead of turning towards Hans Flat you head northeast and on to the areas you want to those other areas. It feels a lot shorter to go there from Green River but if you're already at Goblin it is definitely the best way to go.

I just hiked LWHC on Saturday morning with my Scout Troop. Weather and temps were perfect, low 70's, so I believe that's why everybody AND their dogs were there. By the time we made it back out to the TH around 1300 hours, there were at least 200+ vehicles parked in the general area. It was a freakin' ZOO. Disneyland in the desert, that's for sure.
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70 View Post
    By the time we made it back out to the TH around 1300 hours, there were at least 200+ vehicles parked in the general area. It was a freakin' ZOO. Disneyland in the desert, that's for sure.
    ^^^ That's nuts - although I'm not too surprised. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't combine the two trips. It's a long, boring dirt road from highway 24 out to Keg Knoll, Moonshine, etc. The road you need to take is about 100 yards south of the turnoff to Goblin Valley on Highway 24 on the east side of the road. It's the one that has signs for The Maze, Hans Flat, Dollhouse, etc. But after many miles, instead of turning towards Hans Flat you head northeast and on to the areas you want to those other areas. It feels a lot shorter to go there from Green River but if you're already at Goblin it is definitely the best way to go.
    I've been out to the roost area near hans flat, high spur, blue john, horseshoe, etc. so I know how long and boring that road can be. I was kind of hoping there was one I didn't know about. Kind of what I thought though.

Just to make sure, I want to take the left/east fork (basically straight ahead on that main road I guess) toward horseshoe right? Then stay on that north/northeast for what looks like about another 20 miles I guess. Now that I look closer at it, that is a long boring dirt road. Maybe I'll think twice. Just looks like Moonshine, Colonnade, three canyon would be some cool stuff for the wife and kids.

Thanks very much for the information Nick!
    -- Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70 View Post
    there were at least 200+ vehicles parked in the general area. It was a freakin' ZOO. Disneyland in the desert, that's for sure.
    And I almost ended out in the same place this past weekend sure glad we went to Keg Knoll and hiked Colonnade Arch instead. Saturday night I saw 2 cars, and Sunday driving out up to Green River I saw 5!

Quote Originally Posted by millsclimber View Post
    Just looks like Moonshine, Colonnade, three canyon would be some cool stuff for the wife and kids.
    Its not really.
    I guess it depends how old your kids are and how far they can hike. I wouldnt take my kids into Three Cayon, not much bag for your buck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Its not really.
    I guess it depends how old your kids are and how far they can hike. I wouldnt take my kids into Three Cayon, not much bag for your buck there.
    Good call on Three Canyon Summit. Found some more beta on that and I'll probably stay out of there with the kids. My kids are little. One backpack for me with the bigger one, one for my wife for the baby. We're not exactly the most picky about taking them hiking. They've been snowshoeing a bunch, and lots of hikes. Definitely not unheard of for us to have to take the pack of and hand the up/down in a slot or something.

Do you have other ideas about kid friendly type stuff around LWH? We've done crack, LWH/Bell, Spirit Arch, some playing around near black dragon, wild horse window, and a bunch of stuff out on Cedar Mesa and Moab/Arches/Canyonlands with the girls. No big deal so far. They've done awesome. Still wondering whether I can do ding/dang with them or not. Not worried about ding...not sure about dang. They've seen Goblin plenty and I want to stay out of there. Anything else you've got closer to our base camp near LWH would be awesome.

Thanks for all your help. As always the Bogley community always comes through. Pretty cool thing you've all got going here.
    -- Austin

Ding and Dang also sees lot of traffic these days. In fact (IMO) moonshine is very much like Dang. I have taken my kids down it three times and you definitely need two able adults to pass the little ones up and down.

Moonshine Wash by Summit42, on Flickr

If you have 4X4 I would check out Fransworth. Its close to temple junction and a fun short hike to the slot that's perfect for kids.

Farnsworth-10-3-2008 (2) by Summit42, on Flickr

Farnsworth-10-3-2008 (14) by Summit42, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Ding and Dang also sees lot of traffic these days. In fact (IMO) moonshine is very much like Dang. I have taken my kids down it three times and you definitely need two able adults to pass the little ones up and down.

If you have 4X4 I would check out Fransworth. Its close to temple junction and a fun short hike to the slot that's perfect for kids.
    Thanks Summit! I'll take a look at Farnsworth. As always, your pictures there are awesome. On a total side note, just picked up a new camera and I've been studying your star trails a bit and looking through the forum. Crazy awesome stuff. Still gotta pick up a wired remote cause my rf one won't shoot continuous. All I can say is when i grow up (probably never)...I wanna take pictures like you.
    -- Austin

Quote Originally Posted by millsclimber View Post
    Thanks Summit! I'll take a look at Farnsworth. As always, your pictures there are awesome. On a total side note, just picked up a new camera and I've been studying your star trails a bit and looking through the forum. Crazy awesome stuff. Still gotta pick up a wired remote cause my rf one won't shoot continuous. All I can say is when i grow up (probably never)...I wanna take pictures like you.

If you dont mind driving you may also want to check out Tomsich butte and the Hidden Splendor Areas. Not sure what the flow is like on the muddy right now but The Grand Gorge of the is pretty awesome as long as your feet stay warm.