Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Maze and the Mesa (April 2011)

The Maze and the Mesa (April 2011)

Day 0: Change of Plans?

Friday, April 8, 2011

As you might have seen in this post before I left for this trip, there was some real concern about the government shutting down and closing Canyonlands National Park. The night before I was set to leave, I stayed up to see what was going to happen in Washington. Luckily, at the last minute they figured out the budget and averted a shutdown. Of course, my time would have been better spent sleeping, but at least we did not have to make any last minute changes to our plans and we would still be able to explore The Maze District of Canyonlands for a few days.

Day 1: Into the Maze

Saturday, April 9, 2011

After staying up later than I would have liked on Friday night, I was up again at 3am on Saturday morning so that I could finish getting ready and head straight to Hanksville to meet up with Jared. I had hoped to grab a quick breakfast on the way, but apparently the McDonalds on my way out of Grand Junction isn
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. Likes Lance liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lovin' your pics and report, we spent our first night at that same camp. Aaron kept making me nervous climbing on the Chimney Rock with it's crumbly Organ Rock Shale.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Nice pics, it's on my list to do as well.

Awesome! Looking at those pictures wants me to go there immediatly. What a great place to explore. The Maze is still on my Must See list for the future.

Day 2: Pictograph Fork & The Harvest Scene

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Our second day started out cold with plenty of wind. None of us slept very well since the wind was noisy all night. After some breakfast we bundled up and started our hike down Pictograph Fork to check out the Harvest Scene pictographs.

Hiking Pictograph Fork by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

If you look closely you can see Dave and Jared in the canyon ahead of me as we hike towards Pictograph Fork.

Along the way we stopped at a petroglyph panel.

Pictograph Fork Petroglyphs by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Pictograph Fork Anthropomorphs by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Then we continued on until we reached the Harvest Scene, which was one of my main reasons for going to The Maze this trip.

Near the Harvest Scene by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The canyon near The Harvest Scene Panel.

The sun was shining on the panel and washing it out pretty good, but luckily there were a few puffy clouds in the sky that blocked the sun for a few minutes at a time so that I could try and take some decent photos of the panel.

Harvest Scene Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

An overview of the Harvest Scene Pictograph Panel.

The Harvest Scene by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A closer look at the part of the panel that gives it the name ‘Harvest Scene’.

Tall, Skinny, & Elaborate by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

These figures found on the left side of the panel are very elaborately decorated.

Bow to the Stripes by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The figure to the right of the striped anthropomorph appears to be bowing.

Striped Man by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A closer look at the striped figure.

Jared for Scale by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jared checking out the panel and giving it some scale.
    Randy Langstraat

Dave & Jared by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Both Dave and Jared for some scale.

The Hand that Feeds by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Not a great photo, but the best I managed to get on this trip. If you look closely you can see what looks like a bird a rabbit and another smaller zoomorph on the outstretched hand. There is also what appears to be indian rice grass growing out of the middle finger on the hand. A very interesting panel.

There were plenty of other pictographs to be found nearby, too.

Standing Dog by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The furthest figure on the right appears to be a very long dog standing up.

Two Faint Panels by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

These two pictograph panels are located just to the left of the main Harvest Scene panel.

Faint Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Another of the panels found nearby.

Pictograph Fork Snake Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

These pictographs are found a bit upstream from the Harvest Scene and are actually the first panel you will come across when hiking down-canyon as we did.

We had some lunch before leaving the Harvest Scene and then continued on our loop hike.

Pictograph Fork by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Another view of Pictograph Fork from near the pictographs.

We took a detour towards the Maze Overlook trail in search of some more rock art and found this snake petroglyph, which might be the one Ed Abbey spoke of in Desert Solitaire when he descended into The Maze
    Randy Langstraat

We passed this small arch along the way.

Mesa Top Arch by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Through the Arch by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A view of The Maze and the La Sal Mountains in the distance through the small arch.

Small Chimney by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Can you spot Chimney Rock in the distance, it was a long hike back to camp.

When we arrived back at camp, we had some dinner and tried to stay out of the wind as much as possible.

Jared, Jeep & Rock by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jared having some dinner and using my Jeep to block the wind. Chimney Rock in the background.

When the sun was getting close to setting, we grabbed our cameras and took some photos…

Colorful Layers by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I love the layers of color in this photo.

Another Chimney Rock Sunset by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Just another photo of Chimney Rock glowing in the late evening sunlight.

Dave in Camp by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Dave trying to keep warm.

View from Camp by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Canyonlands at Sunset by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The Maze and Canyon Rims by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Aside from the wind when we were up out of the canyon, it was a good day. I’m glad I finally got to visit the Harvest Scene and will probably hike down from The Maze Overlook next time I want to visit it.

Day 3 to be continued…
    Randy Langstraat

so sick Randy
    I'm getting so excited for week.

Just gorgeous. I get goosebumps from those shots looking out across the Maze.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Geez, Randy you just keep coming up with awesome TRs, thanks.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Excellent
    Life is Good

Have wanted to get into the Maze area for years. For our 25th anniversary, my wife and I chartered a flight out of Grand Junction (we live in the Redlands) and flew over all our favorite stomping grounds around Moab and all the way over to the Maze. It was aMAZing to see from the air! We have a Desert Vision video produced by Paul Speer and David Lanz that features a flight scene over the Maze. Just looking at a topo map of that area gets the adventure juices going.
    Question: How was the Flint Trail down into there? I have heard various horror stories over the years. It appears from the photos that your Jeeps are no more than "stock" varieities. I have a longer T-100 4WD pickup with excellent clearance or Jeep Cherokee Sport (both unmodified stock). How did you find the road conditions and what do you think about either of these two vehicles making it in?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Question: How was the Flint Trail down into there? I have heard various horror stories over the years. It appears from the photos that your Jeeps are no more than "stock" varieities. I have a longer T-100 4WD pickup with excellent clearance or Jeep Cherokee Sport (both unmodified stock). How did you find the road conditions and what do you think about either of these two vehicles making it in?
    The Flint Trail is well maintained and easy....just narrow in places. You would have no problems with either vehicle. You would just need to make a 3-point turn or two at some of the tight switchbacks.

The toughest part of the road would be the section around the head of Teapot Canyon. This section is rough and bumpy with a few ledges. Both your vehicles could probably do that section as well, but it would require a little more driver skill.
    Randy Langstraat

[QUOTE=IntrepidXJ;450053]
    When the sun was getting close to setting, we grabbed our cameras and took some photos

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    LOVE this one. Great photos and report as always, thanks for sharing!
    Thanks! That's one of my favorites from the day, too :)
    Randy Langstraat

incredible and simply awesome shots!!
    I definitely want to see the area by myself. And looking at your pictures increases my desire to do that.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    LOVE this one. Great photos and report as always, thanks for sharing!
    Ditto. Too many good shots to list, but this is a fav. Your the man Randy, you get to all the cool places.

Day 3: The Doll House & Tibbett Arch

Monday, April 11, 2011

Ekker Butte at Sunrise by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The sun rising in the east over the La Sal Mountains lights up Ekker Butte.

Layers in Blue by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Early morning light looking towards the La Sal Mountains casts a blue hue over all the different layers of the landscape.

Chocolate Bars Up-Close by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Known to most as The Chocolate Drops because they are misnamed on current maps. They really look more like Chocolate Bars to me, anyway. The Maze Overlook is located right behind them from this angle.

Chimney Rock Camp 2 by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Our campsite near Chimney Rock before packing up and leaving.

Since our permit for the Chimney Rock camp was only for two nights, we packed up camp after some breakfast so that we could move on, and then headed to The Doll House.

Our first hike in The Doll House area was the Granary Loop, which gave us a nice view of Surprise Valley on our way to visit a few hidden ruins.

The Doll House by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

View of The Doll House while hiking The Granary Trail.

Photos in the Slot by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

On our way to the granaries, we passed through this small slot. Jared takes my photo as I take his.

Checking Out Suprise Valley by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Dave and Jared check out Surprise Valley from above. Look closely and you can see the Colorado River.

Three Granaries by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Three of the four small granaries lined up on one side of the alcove.

B&W Granary by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The one granary by itself on the other side of the alcove converted to black and white.

Four Granaries by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Here’s all four granaries in view.
    Randy Langstraat

After checking out the granaries, we completed the loop trail and then hiked out to Beehive Arch along the Colorado and Green Rivers Overlook Trail.

Within the Doll House by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jared and Dave below the needles in The Doll House area on our hike to Beehive Arch.

Doll House Needles by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A view along the Colorado and Green Rivers Overlook Trail.

Beehive Arch by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A wide view of Beehive Arch.

Beehive Arch 2 by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A closer look at a different angle.

Taking in the View by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Dave climbed up some sandstone for a better view of the area.

More Needles by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

More needles in The Doll House area on our way back from Beehive Arch.

Before leaving The Doll House area I checked out all three campsites so that I could plan some future trips to the area. Next, we headed back past Chimney Rock so we could setup our last campsite in The Maze at Standing Rock.

Jeep & Standing Rock by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

My Jeep parked at our campsite near Standing Rock.

Standing Rock Camp by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Camp setup under the monolith.
    Randy Langstraat