Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Maze and the Mesa (April 2011)

As I'm a newcomer I'm just now reading this TR, but I have to say it's a great read and the photos are great as well. I assume the 3 point turns you mentioned being required in the Maze would preclude towing a small trailer? I have an AT Chaser that I tow behind my FJ and have started planning for my annual spring trip to southern Utah next year. My goal is to do as much of my camping as I can in outlying areas like you did.

Great report and thanks for letting me vicariously tag along. ;)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I know a few people who have pulled an offroad trailer down the Flint Trail. I have no experience doing it, but know it can e done. I guess it just depends how comfortable you are pulling it down a few tight switchbacks.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

very, very nice!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    I know a few people who have pulled an offroad trailer down the Flint Trail. I have no experience doing it, but know it can e done. I guess it just depends how comfortable you are pulling it down a few tight switchbacks.
    Thanks. I don't mind tight, but I don't like to have to back it up to do a 3 point turn. I'm usually by myself and without a spotter it's just too nerve wracking.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Excellent trip and report. Your pictures are to die for. I've been to some of the places on your trip but, I now MUST go to the others you described. Your Maze pictures made me feel like I was right there. Thank you for sharing! Do you happen to have a map with your route?
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Wonderful pictures. It has been many years since I went to the Maze. The first time was literally spur of the moment, gassing up at Hite, picked up a map, and away I went. Didn't realize I needed a permit to camp so went up and down the Flint trail as I had gone in from Hite. Solo female driving a huge lifted Red Jeep, winch, low gears etc. Camped at Dollhouse one as I remember in between the two towers with the eye of the needle. Hiked all over, down to the river, along the joints in the Dollhouse, Harvest Scene, Water and Shot canyons, etc. Next time a few years later was back in there camped at the Wall when a big storm came in, the Flint trail and actually the road out along the Orange Cliffs was impassable for a few days. A ranger and several groups and myself were camped down in there and so we stayed awhile. I hiked to the chocolate bars, to the Green River Overlook, with amazing tinajas full of water, Ernies country etc. My fondest memory was while camped at Chimney Rock sleeping out and the utterly amazing star gazing to be had. Great Place, maybe I will return one day.
    You can rest when you're dead