Thread: UTurn with young kids

UTurn with young kids

Went to Arches to do UTurn with 6 young kids (3 of my kids: 5, 7 and 9 and their 3 friends: 5, 8 and 10). I have done this route several times, mostly taking scouts, and the kids wanted to check it out.
    Name:  P4160013..jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  91.2 KB
    I usually set up a top belay for the kids
    Name:  P4160015..jpg
Views: 776
Size:  108.0 KB
    Name:  DSC02368..jpg
Views: 748
Size:  54.7 KB
    Name:  DSC02388..jpg
Views: 864
Size:  59.8 KB
    Name:  P4160036..jpg
Views: 823
Size:  52.1 KB
    Name:  P4160044..jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  84.3 KB
    At the last rappel, I sent the kids down from the 2 newer bolts that someone placed near a large rock. This rappel is much easier for kids than the crack. After they were down, I pulled everything back up, removed the webbing, left the bolts hidden with some rocks, and went down the crack.
    Name:  P4160046..jpg
Views: 909
Size:  80.8 KB
    All in all, we had a great day, and this is a great route for young kids.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The girls look more excited to go than the boys do!

You've gotta love those full-body harnesses too. When they're that little, their heads would pull them upside down if they used a waist harness.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very cool

That is awesome! I love seeing kids doing crazy stuff that most adults won't do. That route looks very cool, do you have beta on the route? Is it on climb-utah? Thanks for posting

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Is it on climb-utah?
    yes

Great Job
    Life is Good

3 year old. Add another awesome to the pot!
    The man thong is wrong.

Great information and great photos! Thanks for the specific info on how to take younger children. And may I ask what kind of camera you used? The pictures are great!

It’s an Olympus TG-610. It's one of their tough cameras that you can submerge in water, drop, smash etc... and it keeps on ticking. They are about $300 at BestBuy. For an additional $50 more, you can get the "no matter what happens" warranty (recommended!!) http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1546

Sweet! Showed this to my daughter-maybe I can get her to try a canyon or two.

I did U-turn a few weeks ago and replaced the webbing at the crack rappel near the large monolith (someone had removed it). I wonder if someone is encouraging the use of the bolts over the natural anchor near the monolith?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

It is best to not rappel anywhere near the monolith. It will attract too much attention from tourists at the Park Avenue trailhead. Please rappel down the crack, which is marked as the preferred rappel location.Name:  Last Rappel - UTu&#11.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  81.2 KB

The bolts are located in a crappy location - there aren't any tourists back there in the corner.

The monolith rap location was ideal. You wouldn't believe how many Asians wanted to take a picture with me after I came off that ledge.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

oooohhh asians. YUM YUMS!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    The monolith rap location was ideal. You wouldn't believe how many Asians wanted to take a picture with me after I came off that ledge.
    I've spoken with the a couple rangers about this and the consensus was..... DO NOT RAPPEL FROM THE MONOLITH LOCATION!!! Unless you want to see permits in Aches similar to the train wreck in Zion. Everything canyoneers do to keep canyoneering off the tourist radar is good for the sport and park. No visiual impact and low enviromental impact would be ideal.

And as a service I suggest we all take a minute and remove any webbing we find located at the monolith rappel.