Thread: Westwater rafting, 6700 cfs

Westwater rafting, 6700 cfs

Not much of a trip report. I took my dad down Westwater canyon on the Colorado for his 65th birthday. Figured this was a better present than another sweater. The weather was great started out at 57 and by 4pm it was 80 degrees. The water however was a little colder, 42 degrees! The river flowed at 6,700 cfs, which was a first for me at this level. I wasn't sure what to expect. It ended up being a fun float without much hassle. Which was great, since I didn't want my dad to swim, though he managed to get wet anyways.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome video.

Cool, so that tripod was pretty solid huh?

Ya if I just keep the boat straight up

I got another tripod, which is higher than my previous one, I am liking that pov better.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Great Video Alex

Excellent TR and video! It almost brought a tear to my eye.

Good times Alex. One to remember! I see that your still sportin' the Keystone hat.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I see that your still sportin' the Keystone hat.
    I've chased it down Westwater, Ruby Horsetheif, Cataract, Deso, Yampa, Lodore and Snake rivers. I am not giving up that easily.

On the Snake I lost it in Launch Counter, only to see it resurface 100 yards down for just a second and it went down, I bailed my kayak and went after it with a paddle.

In Westwater my boat flipped, when I surfaced I looked around. Upside boat check, all 3 of my newbie passengers deer in the headlight eyes... check, my hat the other way from my boat and passengers with Skull rapid approaching quick... check. Guess which one I went after first? :)

On Deso, we are dropping into a class 3 rapid all 6 boats tied together motoring into the rapids at about 5 mph, my hat blows off with a wind gust and the hat flies about 40-50 feet behind me. Without a second of hesitation I am diving after my hat leaving my barge dropping into the rapid. I ended up swimming the rapid and chasing down the motor for about 150 feet. I was exhausted, lost my glasses, but my uber hat was back on my head :)

So ya, I am not leaving my hat behind!

It's your trusty sidekick and good luck memento. You CAN'T lose it.