Thread: North Wash / ACA Rendezvous -- anyone going to this?

North Wash / ACA Rendezvous -- anyone going to this?

North Wash Outfitters is planning a rendezvous April 28-May 1, 2011. Is anyone going? Trying to plan something cool to do here soon, as I've been unable to escape for a little bit.

http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/northwashrondy.htm
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-...P/106197951500

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Is it open to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanGJ View Post
    Is it open to anyone?
    Yes. RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering/events/15585373/
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Jared, this info would be helpful to have on your webpage

RENDEZVOUS FEE
    $25.00 deposit required when you RSVP. Balance due upon arrival at the rendezvous.

Advanced Registration
    ACA Members: $25.00
    Non-Members: $45.00

On-Site Registration
    ACA Members: $45.00
    Non-Members: $65.00

Why pay to do canyons?

Why pay to do canyons?
    Why have a professional instructor/guide like Jared on hand to teach, mentor, coach? If four days of his time is not worth $25/$45 to you, you should not participate.

The "mini rendezvous" hosted by ACA guides (i.e. Jared Hillhouse, Rick Green, Matt Moore) are intentionally kept small. The guides (who normally charge $100+ per person per day for their time and expertise) are involved in most of the activities during the rendezvous. I'm actually quite amazed and very appreciative that these guys are willing to give so much of their time for so little compensation to support the ACA and the canyoneering community. Kudos to all of them.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

I thought these members already took a class? They need more instruction? I thought this was a time to just enjoy doing canyons. I guess we got a bargain when Tom use to do his fest's for free, and we had alot of people who knew their stuff taking us thru canyons. I miss those days, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    I thought these members already took a class? They need more instruction? I thought this was a time to just enjoy doing canyons. I guess we got a bargain when Tom use to do his fest's for free, and we had alot of people who knew their stuff taking us thru canyons. I miss those days, lol
    We all miss the good ole days.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Ah yes, the good ole days when there were no permits in Zion, there were only a handful of trade routes ....etc. Wish I could go. Too much work and kids soccer.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Why pay to do canyons?

I don't see where anyone is charging for canyons.

They are charging to attend an organized event. And as a paying customer you are free to evaluate the product offered and support such an event or not.... sounds simple enough to me....

WTF? Did Shane just DEFEND Rich?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    WTF? Did Shane just DEFEND Rich?

Lace up the skates boys.... we'll be playing hockey in hell tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Jared, this info would be helpful to have on your webpage

RENDEZVOUS FEE
    $25.00 deposit required when you RSVP. Balance due upon arrival at the rendezvous.

Advanced Registration
    ACA Members: $25.00
    Non-Members: $45.00

On-Site Registration
    ACA Members: $45.00
    Non-Members: $65.00
    Hey catching up on posts and things, sorry for the dealy. Was out last weekend with a Tech Course.

Shane and Rich thanks for the comments and support through this post. This info above is already on the ACA meetup group where anyone wanting to attend would go to RSVP. The page I put together was intended to help organize the two nights of Potlucks, extra equipment (firewood) and such and any other little tid bit of information that we felt needed to be somewhere. If anyone has any questions about the Rondy shoot me an e-mail or post a comment on the meet up group.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Lace up the skates boys.... we'll be playing hockey in hell tonight.
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook

Was planning on heading to this area Fri afternoon through Sun morning.. do you have an approximate count of how many people you will have or some sort of schedule of which canyons you are doing? That way we can try to stay out of the way and/or if there are too many people we will find somewhere else to go instead.. Thanks for any info!

Quote Originally Posted by Renard View Post
    Was planning on heading to this area Fri afternoon through Sun morning.. do you have an approximate count of how many people you will have or some sort of schedule of which canyons you are doing? That way we can try to stay out of the way and/or if there are too many people we will find somewhere else to go instead.. Thanks for any info!
    Currently Jared has 25 people registered. Very informal gathering, so unlikely there is a schedule. People tend to make plans the night before while sitting around the fire. Feel free to stop by their camp and introduce yourself. I'm sure they will be happy to work with you to stagger trips to avoid bottlenecks.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Hey Rich,

Which canyons will you be doing?

Hey Renard,
    Sorry I didn't get back to you, Thanks Rich for giving some info. I was busy last week prior to the Rendezvous with a Tech Course and then the Rondy.

We had a great time with people coming and going. There were a lot of people that came through the area that were not part of the Rondy, don't know if you were one. Only a couple introduced themselves. We had an epic wind battle Friday and some had to bug out after their tent was destroyed. Mine ended up becoming a storage facility and I started sleeping in the van. Canyons done: Both forks of Blarney, Right Lep, Middle Maidenwater, Lucky Charms x2, Constryctnine, Both forks of Shilellagh, Monkey Business, Boss Hog, Middle Lep, and Arscenic. And some were staying a few more days. Thanks to all for coming and participating. Both potlucks were great, the cooks were awesome!!! We had participants from New York, Canada, California, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, and of course Utah. Thanks to Rick Thompson, Dan
    Pettingill, and Greg Cornelius for also leading trips.
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook

No problem.. we ended up getting to the camp Friday night just in time to set our tent up in the 30mph wind and then end up sitting/sleeping in the front of the jeep after the tent filled with sand.. we ran through Left Blarney and Right Lep on Saturday and then drove to Cedar Mesa on Sunday.. sorry we didn't drop by but we were pretty dead after no sleep, 2 canyons, and swimming the "freezing watery hallway of death (copyright)" at the end of Right Lep..

Question: does anybody know who or what the yellow rescue chopper was looking for?? We were at the top or Right Lep around 2.30 and it flew pretty low right over us..

Question: does anybody know who or what the yellow rescue chopper was looking for?? We were at the top or Right Lep around 2.30 and it flew pretty low right over us..
    Nope. We were in the Shillelagh's around that time. I remember hearing what I thought was a plane, but don't recall anyone in our group commenting on a chopper. Interesting though...
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook