Thread: Highway 12

Highway 12

Since I have basically planned my entire suthern Utah vacation so far using this forum, I figure I will keep the ball rolling. My wife and I will be driving highway 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef. We will be at Bryce for the first half of the day, so we won't have a whole lot of time to explore off of the highway, but we are looking for a spot or two to stop for a short hike or just a cool drive on the way to Torrey. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Define "short"
    First hike that comes to mind off highway 12 is Lower Calf Creek.

You could drive the Burr Trail either through to Notom Rd or as an out and back. Very scenic and paved to the Capitol Reef boundary. Bill's
    suggestion of Lower Calf Creek is a great hike.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

You could also explore a part of the Upper Muley Twist, just a little before the switchbacks down to Notom Rd. I think it comes down to whether you are looking to spend more time on foot vs. car. On foot, do Lower Calf Creek and just drive highway to Cap Reef. In car, do Burr Trail and some side explorations.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

we would be looking at 3-4 miles maybe 5. I see Lower Calf Creek is about 5.5 roundtrip. That could fit the bill. The issue will be more time than distance. We want to make the whole drive in daylight so we get to see everything. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Amiller View Post
    we would be looking at 3-4 miles maybe 5. I see Lower Calf Creek is about 5.5 roundtrip. That could fit the bill. The issue will be more time than distance. We want to make the whole drive in daylight so we get to see everything. Thanks for the advice.
    I would take Calf Creek over a daylight drive over boulder Mountain any day.

Lower Calf Creek Falls by Summit42, on Flickr

Yeah, checkout Lower Calf Creek.