Thread: TR- MMI

TR- MMI

Sorry no pics yet! I will add them if I can get them from the camera man. We descended MMI on 4/15/11. We took a casual day but this could be done in about 4-5 hrs with an experienced group.

There was no anchor above the big rappel that is described in some beta. I think folks are simply walking back to collect it since its so close the TH. You really do not need to rap here, we just down climbed the low angled slot section and then rapped 33 feet from a single piece of new webbing into the boulders. This rap has a somewhat awkward start. If you are uncomfortable with the down climb a rope can simply be fixed off a boulder and retrieved later. There were NO other anchors with webbing in the canyon. This is what prompted my question about retrievable anchors earlier. We decided to keep inline with what had been done before us and used retrievable anchors on everything, so bring about 70 feet of webbing and quick links with you to ensure enough extension for the final rap. The final rap seemed to be just over 100 feet with the anchor extended to the lip. Some bad grooving from those who have not extended enough are forming.

We exited via under covert arch, which I would only recommend for the experienced climbers out there, about as difficult as the "climbing" exit. This requires a little route finding and steep exposed slickrock (5.easy slab) climbing. Once you are at the arch there is an easy way to the rim by walking through the arch and along the slickrock for about 10 min to where an obvious rock pile leads to the rim. No climbing needed after the arch. Just for fun we did a simultaneous rap of covert arch to add a little more for the day!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum