Thread: Millsite Skunkage turns Swell

Millsite Skunkage turns Swell

The family and I picked up my buddy and went back to Millsite after reading foul weather reports for the place we'd originally planned to fish. Holdsworth hadn't been there before and we were hoping for sunshine and good fishing.

Unfortunately, the sunshine was all we got, but it was great to show off the land to my friend. It's just nice to get out into some real spring weather!

The kids sure love it when gear is left unattended.

We threw everything at the fish, but weren't really sure there were any fish near us. Our first spot was the dam, where Holdsworth caught the only fish of the day between any of us. It was a 9 inch rainbow with no fins.

The wind started getting bothersome, so we took a break and went up the canyon to check on some things. The slow fishing and wind had me wondering if Wrigley Springs Reservoir would be accessible and ice free, so off we went for a look-see.

We got to within a mile of the lake and the drifts blocked the road. It wouldn't have been too much of a hike to go and see, but dragging the kids and the gear up there didn't sound too great and we turned around.

After that, it was lunch time in the canyon and we enjoyed our surroundings in the land of crazy boulders.

With our appetites for food satisfied, we turned our attention back to the fishing and tried the southern shoreline of Millsite for a couple of fishless hours.

It was a real let down to get skunked after such a drive, but the scenery and weather made up for the awful fishing.

Owning up to our skunkings, we left a bit early and played with thoughts of trying some other water in the area in hopes of catching anything with fins.

While traveling, we passed the sign marking the San Rafael recreation access and decided to spend the rest of the daylight playing around in the swell.

It was a blast and we successfully turned our day of sour grapes into fine wine.

I got really trigger happy with the camera in the swell (with reason), but decided against posting a huge string of photos that have nothing to do with fishing. If you'd like to see more pics of the San Rafael Swell, I've posted them on my blog.

http://utahwaterlog.blogspot.com/2011/04/swell-day.html

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement