Thread: Cave-San Rafael Swell

Cave-San Rafael Swell

Somewhere there was an old thread on Bogley from someone asking if there are any caves in the San Rafael Swell. I remember that I replied with something to the likes of there are a few sinkholes around, but I didn't know of any real caves.

Anyway, we were exploring around the Swell the last few days and and lo and behold we accidentaly found what appears to be a fairly large cave.

It was in a limestone and gypsum layer in the southern reef area and an entire drainage flows into it. My son went a little ways in and even though we had headlamps and helmets (we were canyoneering), we didn't have time to explore the cave since it was at the end of a very long day.

Anyway I'll have some photos posted of the cave entrance and looking into the cave posted tonight.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looking down into the cave:

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott, if you need any help, spectators, cheerleaders, whatever, while checking this cave out, lemme know.
    Blog | FB

Nice site

Quote Originally Posted by jumar View Post
    Awesome!
    Nice site Jeff!

Any air movement at the mouth? Did you try dropping rocks and listening for bounces? I'd love to explore a new cave while waiting for the alpine caves to unthaw. Let me know if you want some help checking it out.