Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maps- an everchanging resource

Maps- an everchanging resource

Maps, google earth, aerial photo, gps, and topo regional maps are amazing recources
    for us to get out and see where we're going and what is out there.
    I have heard that some govt overseers of lands have requested the renaming or removal even, of sensitive areas that used to be on previous maps. Is this true?
    Are they hiding information to protect and guard national treasures and sites?
    I bought an AZ strip map in 1997 and just bought a new map and found that the
    BLM has done the opposite. My new map is way good and informative and lists
    many many more mines, side roads, caves, and old airstrips, etc than the old one did.

Still, I hear, and have even read in hiking books about our state that I should get an map printed prior to 1930 because the sites that used to be just called "ruins"
    are now removed. Anyone know if this is true?

I keep trying to find an archive of old maps of Utah by district that could have been used by the folks during the great Uranium rush and can't find any. My experience with the BLM is ho hum and it is really hard to get in touch with the right person

So, is there an archive state location where I can view old topo and mining maps
    that were officially printed by the govt and see what is in my area that I am missing?

any help? anyone know where to turn? E-bay has some general maps of Utah
    but no geo area maps like we get today with the minute maps and such.
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule View Post
    I have heard that some govt overseers of lands have requested the renaming or removal even, of sensitive areas that used to be on previous maps. Is this true?

Are they hiding information to protect and guard national treasures and sites?
    It's true, older USGS maps (pre 1980?) have ruins and rock art listed. I'd have to check to see exactly what year the USGS began to turn off the layer on public maps that contain ruins and rock art but older USGS maps contained the information. The older maps for southern Utah are prized items among ruins and rock art fans. And yes, the layer was turned off as a form of protection.

It's the older USGS 7.5 quads you want to find, not old mining maps.

as well as the old 15 minute maps.

the info only lasted a couple of years on the 7.5 maps before the layer was removed.

i believe the info was removed in the late 70's but for sure by the early 80's it was gone.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Thanks, so much! I'm going to head down to the BLM office and not stir the pot.
    Just going to inquire where they might know where to get some maps or at least look
    at some. I got hold of some airport maps used by single prop planes once that would
    direct pilots to landmarks as seen from the air. It was pretty good, too.
    I got to see things listed that a pilot would be able to see looking right down onto a cattle tank or corral, etc.

I hope that the Utah govt has some kind of archive, somewhere.
    I checked with the daughters of the Pioneers and saw not much in the way of maps
    mostly what they focused on was populated areas. they were great to see what your town looked like from conception til present. They were nice ladies, too.

Wish Me luck. I will post a followup on how I made out.
    At least I have some ideas as to what kind of maps to look for

Thanks again, guys!!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

I hope that the Utah govt has some kind of archive, somewhere.
    The Salt Lake City Library has many of them. Or at least used to.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I use an app on my phone called Trimble Outdoors. It allows to use use offline maps. They use maps from mytopo.com. There are lots of places marked "Cliff Dwelling" and "Ruins" on these maps. Anyone can view the maps if you go to www.mytopo.com and then click on the "Online Maps" tab. These maps don't list rock art or at least I haven't found any on them.

You could check up at the U of U as well. When I was there they had a pretty sweet map collection.

Some maps still have the old ruins and rock art layer turned on. They don't turn it off until the map is updated. (which is why you will find it on some maps in MyTopo.com).

For example, Butler Wash in Cedar Mesa uses the map "Bluff NW". The map was last updated in 1978 before the layer was turned off so that map still has the ruins layer turned on and it will not be turned off until the map is updated again (which should be in the very near future if not already).

The USGS 100K series maps (what Kelsey bases his maps from) are updated a little slower so you can sometimes find ruins that way.

Hint: If you have a copy of the popular mapping program Topo Utah you already have a copy of some of the older USGS maps. And Topo Utah can be checked out of many library systems, I know its in the Salt Lake County system.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Hint: If you have a copy of the popular mapping program Topo Utah you already have a copy of some of the older USGS maps. And Topo Utah can be checked out of many library systems, I know its in the Salt Lake County system.

Likewise with the less popular but locally owned AllTopo software

The map I use in the Wasatch is based off a 1972 aerial composite done by the USGS. The trails have been somewhat modified, as well as their access has been. But surprisingly, it is pretty accurate for most of the trails and areas up there.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpUt View Post
    Likewise with the less popular but locally owned AllTopo software
    Igage's All Topo has you covered. They now include "historic" maps in their collection.

http://www.igage.com/historic/index.htm

I bought the Utah set a couple of months ago just for this reason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Jeeper View Post
    Igage's All Topo has you covered. They now include "historic" maps in their collection.

http://www.igage.com/historic/index.htm

I bought the Utah set a couple of months ago just for this reason.
    The data on the maps say "aerial photographs taken in 1974, Field checked in 1973, and map edited in 1983." $240 isn't a bad price for that type of convenience, while making it a tad more difficult for the general public to access.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    The data on the maps say "aerial photographs taken in 1974, Field checked in 1973, and map edited in 1983." $240 isn't a bad price for that type of convenience, while making it a tad more difficult for the general public to access.
    There's a lot of older maps included. Just last night I was looking at a 1913 map of Eureka. As you can imagine there's been a lot of changes since then.
    Their website lists the maps and dates covered.
    I've had a lot of fun looking over the old ones. I dont regret spending the money at all.

This link might be of some interest to those involved in this discussion. Most from the 50's & 60's. Some earlier than that. I download the .tiff files and then use my photo software to look at them. Only downside is they are 15 min and not 7.5.

ftp://ftp.agrc.utah.gov/Imagery/DRG_Vintage/62_5KQuads/

Awesome thanks for the link.

I have a 24"x36" plotter in my office. For those without such a luxury its good to know Kinko's will plot them up for you. Price kinda depends on which high school drop-out is helping you that day.

Diddo here on the plotter. I can plot up to 42" stuff, full color and high resolution. Comes in handy. I print a map, then I have the art shop spray it with a waterproofer. Now I have a map that is practically indestructible. Nice.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Diddo here on the plotter. I can plot up to 42" stuff, full color and high resolution. Comes in handy. I print a map, then I have the art shop spray it with a waterproofer. Now I have a map that is practically indestructible. Nice.
    I have a plotter in my office as well but no waterproofer. Do you or anyone know of a DIY method of waterproofing a map? I googled around for paper water proofing spray but not really finding anything.

Do you or anyone know of a DIY method of waterproofing a map?
    Laminating, but it doesn't fold as nice.

You can also purchase the waterproof paper (that the waterproof maps are typically printed on) and put it in your plotter as well. The only problem is that not all ink is not waterproof. Sometimes the paper will survive fine, but the ink on it will wash away.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Yeah, laminating a 36" wide map would suck. Don't really want to pay for a roll of waterproof paper either. Guess I'll just stick with printing out extra copies.

Just came across another source for historic maps: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/utah/