Thread: Turkey Hunt

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Turkey Hunt

Well, after ~4 years of applying, my 13 year old and I finally scored tags for the Southern region. In a few hours, we're off to the Marysvale area (Bullion Canyon) to see if we can lure in a few Toms.

First time turkey hunting, but we've got great gear and a friend has been scouting for turkey sign for the past few months.

Anybody else get Turkey tags this year? Any tips/tricks?
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Congrats on getting the tags. Good luck!

I might get an over the counter tag, but I've heard they're a lot smarter and harder to find and especially call in.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Long time no hear Good luck with the hunt!!!!

We went scouting this afternoon and heard them cackling in the distance (less than 900' away). At 0600, we stage our blind and decoys and hope we can call them in. Fingers crossed and shells at the ready (shotguns, not bows this go-around).

Oh, thanks for the "long time no hear". I have been busy. In the interim, I've increased my carbon footprint by installing a full DPF and EGR delete with Black Maxx tuner! Did I "increase" or "decrease" my footprint? I now have more power and get more mileage per gallon!

Me and my friend are down in the Cedar City area right now hoping to fill a tag. We set up 3 different times this afternoon. We didn't get here until about 6:00pm. Lots of toms down here. I have killed 7 turkeys since I drew my first Utah tag in 2005. Turkey hunting is very addicting. Good luck on your hunt Bruteforce. Remember that a turkey can see and hear about 8-10 times better than a human and they can see almost 300 degrees. You must be very quiet and motionless. Your gun will be loaded and ready to fire using extrafull chokes. This year we are trying to get one with a Mathews z7 bow and no blind.

INCREASED

So, here's my update:

We spent around $600 for this years turkey hunt in licensing fees, draw fees, outfitting my 13 year old with camo, buying decoys and the blind, diesel to drive to Marysvale (about 200 miles south), 3 days RV lodging, etc.

Tonight, we're eating turkey for dinner. 6 pounds of finely sculpted, quality meat.

Unfortunately, I had to buy it from the grocery store. While we had them come in close and walked up on a few, no TOMS (or even JAKES) got within firing range. The terrain was just too thick with Oaks and Pines to get a clear ID and/or shot. Maybe next year.

Name:  356..jpg
Views: 229
Size:  69.0 KBName:  352..jpg
Views: 203
Size:  77.2 KBWe set up 5 different times on Saturday before finally harvesting a turkey. I like to call it running and gunning. I was taught this technique from a good friend of mine that hunts turkeys for a solid month in 3-4 different states. We were using a bow rather than a gun. I set my friend up with the ability to shoot 5 arrows. He wasn't calling aggresivelly enough and I ended up calling some long beards to me, but out of range for my friend. Having a good set of binoculars was also key as my friend was using some cheap nikons and he was unable to identify the turkeys. We ended up with a mature bird, but not a trophy by my standards. It had a 5-1/2" beard, 3/4" spurs. By the time that we got back to the truck it was about 9:00pm and I didn't get back to my house until 2:30am Sunday morning. It was a long day. If you look closely at the trailer picture, you will see some blood marks towards the bottom and dents from an agressive tom attacking his reflection off of this trailer.

Good for you, REDFOX. I'm glad somebody here harvested a Tom. How the heck did you call them into your trailer? Wow!

I didn't get a tag this year nor did I fly to Texas. I just guided for my friend. The trailer was on private property which we had permision to go on in order to access some BLM land which seemed to have a lot of turkeys. I tired to familarize myself quickly with terrain and then put togather a plan several times during the course of Saturday. My friend had obtained permission last week during the opener and susequent snow storm and didn't have any opportunites for a shot. I volunteered to help him this past weekend and to do some calling. With the fuel, food, and motels, we figure that this turkey was close to 1000.00 I made a joke about ordering a turkey sandwich for lunch earlier that day saying that this maybe the only turkey meat that we would get. I was teasing him about missing the shots that he had taken earlier. We were lucky later that night to finally fill the tag. You can see the moon in the background of the shot. Don't give up yet on the hunt. I hunted hard for 5 straight days and finally shot my first turkey on the 6th day. I was leaving the room at 5:00am and not getting back until around 10:30pm with little or no food. It took me 5 years to draw my first tag. I'm not sure if your boy had any shot oppertunities, but I can tell you that with a 3-1/2 federal flight control 2-1/4 no. 6 shot I am confident out to 70 yards. I also have front and rear fiber optic sightsName:  289..jpg
Views: 238
Size:  95.1 KB.Name:  311..jpg
Views: 228
Size:  121.9 KB
    Name:  300..jpg
Views: 206
Size:  71.1 KB-Pics from last years turkey hunt in northern Texas
    Last edited by REDFOX; 04-19-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Whoah! Nice hunt!!

Here is a couple of pics from one of the missed shots taken at a turkey. The mechanical broadhead embedded into this lava rock 73 yards from where it was shotName:  001..jpg
Views: 182
Size:  87.8 KB.Name:  002..jpg
Views: 223
Size:  76.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Unfortunately, I had to buy it from the grocery store
    Maybe next year.

Better luck next year!! At least you got out with the child

We still had a great time. My 13 year old learned how to fall asleep in the blind and remove mud from the barrel of his shotgun! I would have preferred to have taken home a turkey, but the grocery store sure has some awesome meat at a a "discount price!"