Thread: Cannondale Moto 3 vs Focus Project 2.0, Help me decide

Cannondale Moto 3 vs Focus Project 2.0, Help me decide

I'm looking to purchase a new bike. I have narrowed it down between these two bikes. Mainly because I am looking at a 6inch travel all mountain bike. I guess I think I will be able to pedal with one of these? The main reason I'm looking at these two bikes is I found killer deals on them because they are last years models.

The first is the cannondale Moto 3 aluminum. All I know is that in 2011 they replaced it with the new Jekyll. I used to have a cannondale back in 95. That was when aluminum was the exception rather than the norm. They used to be very "out of the box thinking." I know that some have strong opinions on C-dale. The only recent thing I know about them, which I guess is not so recent, there motor bike division bankrupt them and DOREL just recently purchased them.

The other bike I'm looking at is a Focus Project 2.0. I even know less about this company. You may never of heard of this bike, just like me. A local bike shops is clearancing there last one. It's a German company that makes it. They are well know for there road and cross county bikes in Europe. They just started making a longer travel bike 2 yrs. ago.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    THANKS!!

Cannondale Moto 3
    Name:  Cannodale Moto 3..jpg
Views: 4993
Size:  49.3 KB

Focus Project 2.0
    Name:  Foucus project 2.&.jpg
Views: 5996
Size:  56.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hmm tough choice. On one hand, I like the look of the Focus better. it just seems to have sexier lines and is overall more appealing to me. On the negative, I can't even find one single decent review about the bike online. The overall sense I get from the company is that it's a heavily charity focused organization. Pretty much all the information I can find is about what good stuff they are doing rather then how much their products kick ass. So I would go with the cannondale. I know what the warranty is, can find hundreds of reviews online and can see exactly what I'm getting into. Plus the company is well known, part are probably easier to get a hold of, etc, etc , etc.

Unless of course I rode the Focus and it just felt superior in some way.

Good luck!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Uhmm...That focus looks almost identical to a Diamondback Mission 3 (http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn.../mission-3-11/). Not that is a bad thing, but the Diamondback is $3200. I've been slowly looking into full suspension bikes and I like the knuckle box concept alot more than some other concepts for rear suspension out there. But seriously it looks exactly the same! I had a cannondale back in the day and loved it but I personally think the one above looks too bulky and overdone in the linkage area. IMHO.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Uhmm...That focus looks almost identical to a Diamondback Mission 3 (http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn.../mission-3-11/). Not that is a bad thing, but the Diamondback is $3200. I've been slowly looking into full suspension bikes and I like the knuckle box concept alot more than some other concepts for rear suspension out there. But seriously it looks exactly the same! I had a cannondale back in the day and loved it but I personally think the one above looks too bulky and overdone in the linkage area. IMHO.
    Thanks for both of your replys, I have done quite a bit of research on line and found out that diamondback sold there knuckle box suspension to focus. Just like santacruz sold there vpp to intense as others with suspension patens will do. So the focus is probably the exact same as a DB mission, just a little diferent spec. I can get both for about half what the retail price was new, since they are last years models. The bikes are extremely diferent looking, but I like the looks of both, just different.

I kind of like not having the same bike as everyone else so I like the focus for that. That being said, I had a mountaincycle which is unique, but getting parts is a major pain. No one carries them locally. I wonder if ill have similar problems? Maybe its really not that unique since it a DB repainted

With the c-dale, the name is not as unique but, they are know for doing unique stuff, lefty, headshock and such. With the c-dale atleast I know that there are several places to get parts for it. Pretty much what deathcricket said.

I wish I could ride both. Has anyone ridden a c-dale moto or a DB MISSION? I looks like it would ride just the same as the focus.

sent from Samsung Epic 4g

I own a Cannondale Lefty Rush Carbon. Kinda same as you I went in wanting to get the new Jekyll, but then last years model at half price convinced me otherwise. Plus I had borrowed my cousin's 10 year old Lefty and I felt it held up really good for the amount of abuse he dished out to it. He literally took it off 4-7 foot jumps and boulders every weekend. So I was already sold by trying out the model type previously.

Anyways, I can say that having a unique bike is kinda cool. I get comments all the time about the lefty shock and how it works. Not sure you would get the same about owning a Focus, but I imagine the "coolness" factor would balance out the "PIA" factor of having hard to find parts. So I would call that a tie, but only if something breaks later on. As long as you are reasonably comfortable with the construction and durability of both, and you don't have a preference design/looks wise. That would be my only concern, when they discontinue products or sell them off, there is usually a good reason. Bummer you can't ride each and then go with your gut.

How about this? Which one is lighter? I have noticed my friend's downhill bike is really heavy, and although he can smoke me downhills, uphills he really struggles. Oh and when I did Zen with Sombeech last year, he was dieing on the uphills with a borrowed downhill type. So even like a 5-10 pound difference could be noticeable. Is that maybe a factor to help you decide?

If you are convinced all factors are the same, go with the Focus, it's sexier IMO and has a nice color. I friggin love that brown. But I believe the Cannondale has a Lifetime warrenty right? For me that was too good to pass up, but I'll probably never take advantage of it.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Get the Focus or a giant reignxl.

I prefer the Focus design and frame geometry.

Good news, I've talked the bike shop that is selling the focus, they have agreed to let take the bike out on the trails some time, if I like it ill be getting it. Only problem know is it needs to stop raining!! Hopefully this weekend it will be dry enough to take it out.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker View Post
    Focus - with a Crank Bros Joplin 4 seatpost.
    LOVE my drop seat! Best investment for my bike yet.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    LOVE my drop seat! Best investment for my bike yet.
    Don't mean to derail the thread, but I still haven't quite been able to wrap my brain around these dropper seats. I have a quick release clamp and that's pretty much the same thing just at half the weight. Truth be told, I'm a little nervous to ever try one because I will probably then have to buy one. Interestingly though, I ride with a guy who has one who never really uses it unless we stop to scope some technical problem out. By the time we are rolling after the reconaissance, I will have already dropped my seat too (albeit not hydraulically....).

Well I don't really worry about weight when it comes to me and the bike. If I did I wouldn't bike with my 3L water pack. I have only been mountain biking going on 4 seasons now, so still pretty new at this and prior to buying my drop seat I was constantly stopping and adjusting the seat height depending on what I was attempting to do. First time I tried the dropper seat and I could just adjust the thing on the fly. I fell in LOVE!!! Pricey little addition to the bike but in my humble opinion worth every penny!!! As I find more confidence in my bike skills I find that I am using it less. But after having one I will always want one. Especially out on Gooseberry that is up down up down up down. I don't have to stop now just instantly drop that seat and down I go, pop it up and ready for the other stuff. Now if I could just figure out how to climb like a goat I would be set! If you are already confident in your downhill and don't find yourself stopping to drop the seat at the technical stuff you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much.

And to get the thread back on track. I do like the FOCUS! That is a sexy looking bike.
    Chere'

I got to take the Focus out saturdayday for a demo on a mainly a XC ride with a few really steep loose sections in the midddle. I pedaled from the bottom of city creek up to the two peaks just west of bobsled & dry creek. I was amazed at how much easier the bike pedaled. I really liked the on the fly travel adjustment of the FOX 36 TALAS. You can change the travel from 160-130-100. I dropped it down to 100 on the steep climbs. I couldn't believe how much that helped my front tire stay on the ground and how much better I could climb (definately still not a climber). My current DH bike wants to whellie over on any step section of the trail. On the downs I opened it up to 160. It didn't feel quite as good as my DH bike but got a little further behind the seat and it didn't feel like like I was to far forward. I was actually surprised since I have only really ridden long travel DH bikes. Didn't really use 130 much. I liked the fork, but have never used an air fork, always had a tripple crown coil fork. So I had no clue how much air it needed or how to adjust the low & high speed compression it had. So I don't think that I got the full potential out of the fork. The bike is set up nice. I liked the avid elixir R brakes & the sram X9 shifters with the XO derailer shifted nice. Never used any of that before. I really like how you can adjust the reach on th fly with brakes (I have only used hayes before this) and the braked nice. As for the shifters the only thing I missed from shimano was having a gear inicator, didn't think I would, but I did. The Mavic crossmax st wheel set was very nice and good looking. The Fox RP23 seemed to work well with the knuckle box suspenion design. The only thing that I'm disappointed about is the KS i950 (5inch travel) adjutable seat post was having problems staying all the way down, it would slide up a bit. I really wished I could have tried it out but the bike shop sent it in for warranty so I was unable to ride with it. The adjustable seat post will be must for me on my next bike I think. I love the idea of being able to raise any lower the seat post without stopping and getting off the bike. One of the best things to upgrade your bike with in my opinon. I'll be getting one for my DH bike.

All in all I liked the bike. Love the looks, compents are great, ride is nice. I don't really have any other bikes I have riden to compare it with though. I can say they have come pretty far scince I bought my last bike in 2002. It really does look like there really are "all mountain" bike that can do everything pretty darn good. I only wish I could try the cannondale now. The cannodale is about 1k less & brand new vs the Focus which is a demo & they want more. Componets are compareble on both.

so I guess I'm a bit late to post on this page. did you end up getting the focus or the moto? I found a similar deal on a moto last march and through the year I've owned it, I can say its the best bike Ive owned to date. It's versatile enough to do any terrain you want, DH and big drops to XC single track. I could go on, but I'll bet you bought the focus. how have you liked in the last year?

I actually ended up buying both. I really like both bikes. Your right about the cannondale, it is a sweet bike. However, I the focus fits me better. It is a medium and the c-dale is a large. Because of this i'm currently selling c-dale. I really like the focus, it is a great all around bike. I love KS adjustable seat post, Love the Fox 36 Talas adjustable fork (160-130-100), LOVE the hammerschmidt crank (I had to put one on the focus because I loved it so much on the moto). I would never get another bike with out one. It has really changed my riding for the best. The adjustable seat post and adjustable fork I use all the time as well. I think any of these items would be great for any bike.

Spoiled brat!
    Chere'

I think that you should advertise the cannondale for sale on bogley. Literally it is brand new.