Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last of the Great Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by agostinone View Post
    C How long did it take you to plan and prep for the trip? What do you do for an encore to an adventure like that?
    feel fortunate to have enjoyed it once, and feel fortunate to never be doing it again...

prep and planning was largely done by rich and rick (canyoneer and lead boatmen). they worked for about a year on schedules, boat shuttles, canyon destinations, campsites, meals, overnight backpacks, and general timing. the logistics were insane.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    wait, it's not of age? i thought 1500 sq feet in mt carmel, sandwiched between the historical church and the barn marked it's arrival? certainly much more appealing than beverly hills...

permit was a private river trip. it was won in the annual allotment by rich rudow, who along with todd martin have done something like 120 unique slots down there. the river trip was conceived of as a "ultimate multi-sport canyoneering adventure..."
    Launches in February are not all that hard to get, but you have to put in for the lottery to be open to you.

Tom

Holy frickin' wow....!

Great footage/mix/etc.

Fair amount of talent there...Is there an hour version of this? Crazy good.

So what'd you shoot with, other than the GoPro on some of the clips. And what were you editing with?

Nice work on the fast panning clips. I assume you did the panning in the software and didn't have a mechanical panning device, where I'm guessing it was about an hour of film compressed to @ 10 seconds?

it was all shot on a panasonic GH2, GoPro, or SD600. gitzo sticks, leveling head, indislider for motion shots, and edited with after effects and premiere. time lapse are all shot in stills, varying length and duration.

Cool. Another question, the closing title said Fall 2011, I assume that means you're going back to the GC at that time, rather than finishing the "official" video by that time?

full video will be premiere this fall, not sure what venue... we still have plenty of shooting to do.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    wait, it's not of age? i thought 1500 sq feet in mt carmel, sandwiched between the historical church and the barn marked it's arrival? certainly much more appealing than beverly hills...

permit was a private river trip. it was won in the annual allotment by rich rudow, who along with todd martin have done something like 120 unique slots down there. the river trip was conceived of as a "ultimate multi-sport canyoneering adventure..."
    I am talking about selling canyoneering gear to people who really have no damn use for it just because its cool. So no your store is far too practical.

The sport is just never going to get anywhere good if we keep having movies of canyoneers cutting their arms off. That of course all I hear about when I mention that I canyoneer. "Uhh well any good canyoneer always travels with their bone saw because you just never know when you are going to need a snack."

Of course the real conversation is more like:"No honey, that is really the only time something like that has ever happened before." and of course what you are really thinking: "No honey, don't worry about that, I am really much more likely to die falling to death because I didn't check my partner's anchor, rappelling off the end of my rope, become hypothermic because I should have listened and worn the 7mm wet suit, or even falling off the edge of the Grand Canyon while taking a photo on the way home--so don't worry about me loosing an arm."

I especially liked the little pack boat working its way through the rapids in the video.

speechless!

...a strong contender for the 2011 Banff Mountain Film Fest (or any other outdoor film fest). could possibly recoup your expenditures if you decide to explore that avenue, err slot.

One word.... INSANE ! !!

Loved it mate, congrats to everyone involved with this
    Rod

That is an incredible video! Now that is an adventure!

i am so jealous.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Beautifully done video, talent all around.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME VIDEO!!!
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

couple of photos from the latest adventure...

Those at the Arhart Christmas party last night were treated to anther of Dan's video clips from the Grand Canyon. I believe this was the same video that was shown in St. George earlier this week at the Grand Canyoneering event.

Anyhoo... the footage in the video clip is outstanding and fun to watch. The scenery is incredible.

Nice job.