Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last of the Great Unknown

Last of the Great Unknown

A brief video from our 30 day trip on the Grand Canyon last month...

The Grand Canyon is an immense place, almost unfathomable in scale, and one of the last places in the American West to be explored. John Wesley Powell called it the "Great Unknown," having no idea what rapids, falls, or canyons awaited him on his first descent of the river in 1869. In the decades since, the Canyon has been a playground for dozens of explorers. River runners, backpackers, routefinders, lithic hunters, and peakbaggers have all laid claim to the Canyon's iconic landmarks, often seeking out the prestigious "firsts." While many significant points of interest were being explored, there was one feature that was left almost entirely ignored: the Canyon's innumerable technical slots.

Deep within this vast wilderness are secret and intimate tributaries rarely visited by man, hiding some of the Canyon's most remarkable features. The barrier to entry is steep. To explore them, one must have a knowledge of backpacking, packrafting, rappeling, anchor building, and off-trail navigation. The Last of the Great Unknown is the story of these slots, the canyoneers who systematically explored their drainages, and the secrets hidden deep within their walls.

In February 2011, a group of 16 set out to run the Grand Canyon and descend as many slots as possible en route. The itinerary was ambitious. 280 miles of whitewater, 30 days and 22 slots. The tally included 7 fully loaded boats, 5 rookie boatmen, 1400 packed meals, a steady flow around 20k cfs, and an ungodly amount of 4 a.m. wakeup calls.

This video is a compilation of that trip, and a preview of what's to come...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Can't wait!
    Life is Good

OMG. What an amazing trip. I hope you aimed big for sponsorship-that is lot of meals.

Ken

Dude, I always love your videos. Cool music, great photography and great editing. Love it.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Outstanding

10 years of adventure racing can't begin to compare to this. How do I enter into this wonderful world of adventure with people who really live the lifestyle?

Now that's what I call a Grand Canyon Trip. Sweet!!!

Can. Not. Wait. Looks to be just fantastic!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Killa man! I figured you have been cooped up with a whole pile of awesome media to sift through. This is the definition of an epic trip. Lucky bastage!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Incredible!
    Chere'

I've watched that like ten times now and I'm still just blown away.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    another great one. nice job dan! and the others in the video rich, ram, dave, sonny, etc

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    OMG. What an amazing trip. I hope you aimed big for sponsorship-that is lot of meals.

Ken
    ha. private trips don't allow any kind of "sponsorship." even if we could get it. thanks for the kind words though!

Quote Originally Posted by fletcherpl View Post
    10 years of adventure racing can't begin to compare to this. How do I enter into this wonderful world of adventure with people who really live the lifestyle?
    hahaha. the answer is easy. show up to freezefest. if people are nuts enough to show up for that, they meet the criteria...

Spectacular, thanks, Dan.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Congratulations to you and your colleagues!

How long did it take you to plan and prep for the trip? What do you do for an encore to an adventure like that?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    ha. private trips don't allow any kind of "sponsorship." even if we could get it. thanks for the kind words though!
    I guess we will know canyoneering has come of age when Tom opens a 15,000 sq ft Imlay Canyoneering Gear and Ratagucci flagship store in Beverly Hills between the North Face and Banana Republic. Don't worry Tom, I think you can get a sweet deal for about $12 per sq ft per month when you sign a 10 year lease. Then there should be plenty of dough for sponsorships.
    Park rules, that a whole other kettle of fish. How long did it take to get your permit?

Quote Originally Posted by agostinone View Post
    How long did it take you to plan and prep for the trip? What do you do for an encore to an adventure like that?
    BEHUNIN!!!!!!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    I guess we will know canyoneering has come of age when Tom opens a 15,000 sq ft Imlay Canyoneering Gear and Ratagucci flagship store in Beverly Hills between the North Face and Banana Republic. Don't worry Tom, I think you can get a sweet deal for about $12 per sq ft per month when you sign a 10 year lease. Then there should be plenty of dough for sponsorships.
    Park rules, that a whole other kettle of fish. How long did it take to get your permit?
    wait, it's not of age? i thought 1500 sq feet in mt carmel, sandwiched between the historical church and the barn marked it's arrival? certainly much more appealing than beverly hills...

permit was a private river trip. it was won in the annual allotment by rich rudow, who along with todd martin have done something like 120 unique slots down there. the river trip was conceived of as a "ultimate multi-sport canyoneering adventure..."